Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PDW length barrels.....300BLK or 5.56?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    In general, does 300BLK do anything better than 5.56 in the 11.5-16" range?

Feedback Score
    They can with supersonic loads.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    They can with supersonic loads.
    My understanding is that subsonic 300BLK is akin to handgun terminal ballistics. Therefore, it is worthless to me in a defense situation.

Official Kremlin Transmission

Feedback Score
    What makes you think that handguns can not be effective? That is the highest use outside of a battlefield. I agree that 300 BO offers some better performance overall with supers, but some subsonic rounds do perform well.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    What makes you think that handguns can not be effective? That is the highest use outside of a battlefield. I agree that 300 BO offers some better performance overall with supers, but some subsonic rounds do perform well.
    If I'm shooting a rifle, I'd prefer it to perform like a rifle.

Which subsonic 300BLK rounds do you like?

Feedback Score
    There's a few commercially available projectiles in a lead alloy popular in another forum, some into supersonic levels. There are a few solid copper options available. There are some copper jacketed rounds that could enter the commercial market if demand allowed a production scale to make the price more feasible.
    The supers available now is more of my focus for a PDW type of system, but I would not overlook some subsonic capabilities.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    If I'm shooting a rifle, I'd prefer it to perform like a rifle.

Which subsonic 300BLK rounds do you like?
    This...

My home defense gun is a 11.3" .300 and I run it with everybody's fav 110 gr Vortex. Pricey, and hard to find, but I pick some up whenever I can find it. If you need a short gun, but want the maximum punch, this is my answer to the problem. I do like the capability of going to subs with a can, and I hope to explore that one day, but my goal was a short package that hits hard, and the 5.56/.223 just gives up too much in the short guns. Quiet can wait for now. I want it to hit like a rifle. In fact, I wanted to go real short, 8 or 9" but felt that the 11.3" was a happy medium. Again, I knew I was gonna shoot supers and wanted the hardest hitting round. I retain the opting of going shorter... Anybody have data in the 110 gr Vortex out of a 8 or 9" tube?
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 12-06-17 at 20:00.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    This...

My home defense gun is a 11.3" .300 and I run it with everybody's fav 110 gr Vortex. Pricey, and hard to find, but I pick some up whenever I can find it. If you need a short gun, but want the maximum punch, this is my answer to the problem. I do like the capability of going to subs with a can, and I hope to explore that one day, but my goal was a short package that hits hard, and the 5.56/.223 just gives up too much in the short guns. Quiet can wait for now. I want it to hit like a rifle. In fact, I wanted to go real short, 8 or 9" but felt that the 11.3" was a happy medium. Again, I knew I was gonna shoot supers and wanted the hardest hitting round. I retain the opting of going shorter... Anybody have data in the 110 gr Vortex out of a 8 or 9" tube?
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...llistics/page3
    See post#56.

Feedback Score
    I had this same dilemma... I ended up going with a 8.5 inch 5.56 because the ammo was cheaper so I could practice more. If you are wiling to be selective with the ammo you use, you can still get very good performance inside of 100 to 150 yards with the 8.5 inch velocities. The 10.5 does have better ballistics and I will probably end up getting a 10.5 inch upper also in 5.56 but I don't really see the need to use a 300 blk.

If I was doing it over, I would have just gone with a 10.5 vs the 8.5 inch because I don't think the 2" difference is all that noticeable...If I were to choose another caliber for a short barrel it would be 6.8spc, since both it and 300 BLK are expensive and I don't think 300 blk does anything the 6.8 doesn't do better.. Having said that, Sure the 300 blk and 6.8 have more energy then the 5.56, but there isn't varying levels of dead, and at the close ranges a PDW is intended to be used at all three calibers will leave a target equally dead.
    Last edited by brycewise; 12-15-17 at 20:02.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123