Thread: Used SCAR 17 - what to look for

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Used SCAR 17 - what to look for

I just bought a used SCAR 17. It appears in good condition, but the bottom rail screw was stripped out when the previous owner installed the MI rail extension. I plan on replacing it with the KDG SCAR extension so will be ordering a replacement screw.
    Are there any other small parts I need to pay attention to/get spares for?
    Any other things to look for?
    This SCAR has the Striker SEAL SR25 lower, VLTOR stock adapter and Geissele trigger. I noticed it was extremely easy to bumpfire it unintentionally by resetting the trigger while the rifle is still recoiling. I even thought it doubled on me after it happened for the first time.
    Is this a function of the lighter Geissele trigger?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Light or not, that shouldn't happen. I had an ALG trigger that did the same thing, maybe 1 out 10 or 15 rounds, it made me extremely uneasy. I sent it in for warranty, they took some measurements, confirmed it was out spec and sent me a new working trigger.

Feedback Score
    i own a scar 17 and 16 and i have use them pretty well, i turned my 17 into form 1 rifle. i have modified both rifle and they are still in perfect working condition. i gues the rifle you bought has been damaged somehow. did the previous owner say why he was selling ?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Nope. It was through gun broker.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The Geissele Super Scar Trigger is light (similar to an SSA-E IMO) but I've never come close to a bumpfire / double with either my 16 or 17.

Feedback Score
    I will say this, I bought two SCAR's, they are very nice overall other than some design issues. I had a 3.5x 7.62NATO ACOG on one and a 1-6x VCOG on the other. They were very lightweight, fast handling rifles. However I sold those and bought two new un issued FN Para 50.63's- which are very hard to find. I grew up on FAL's but the SCAR could be a nice rifle. I just trust FAL's more. I didn't like that SCAR's were held together with Locktight and machine screws. I didn't like that the gas system wasn't truly adjustable unless you change out the gas port screw. I didn't like that they required the SCAR stock as that thing is hideous but the design needs a polymer stock mount to dampen the recoil. Overall though, they are good rifles, I could see that in the design but it just wasn't for me since I'm old school.

7n6