Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt Action 22lr's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Have you ever had your bolt come out when you cycle it?

I got a Tacticool as well and mine will often, as in every time I shoot it, let the bolt slide out. I know that could happen if I was lazy with my finger touching the trigger and I believe is the trigger spring was too light. But I haven't adjusted anything. My friend was convinced I must touching the trigger, so I even went so far to shoot left handed and even saying out loud "finger off". Sure enough the bolt flies out.

I really like the rifle and have actually bought some replacement springs for it. also my bolt in really tight. The Lift. i watched some YT vids of a guy radiusing a few areas to solve that but again haven't done anything. I also get some feed issues which maybe is the ammo but I can't seem to get through a mag without an issue. I know sometimes I have pulled the bolt too slowly trying to figure the bolt issue and that leave a case then messes up the next round.. Anyway, I still really like the rifle and need to fix these issues but I've never really heard of anyone that has had this sort of thing happen.

I'm wondering if there is some area I should specifically check or should I think about sending it back to CZ.
    There are some threads on The Hide and Rimfire Central about CZs bolt flying out. After about 2k rounds mine did that, but I had the “Yo Dave” trigger springs installed, so I didn’t blame CZ. I started to try to figure out the exact issue, but then I solved it by installing the Timmeny trigger. I had more money than time.

Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    sounds good. I've tried to posts and vids and there is nothing much out there. One guy sells a spring kit for $10 and then it's basically just shoot it. I haven't so far seen one mention of the issues I've had. Also bought new and the box didn't look like it fell of a building or anything. Mostly various CCI ammo thus far.
    “Yo Dave” trigger works for a lot of people and is a cheap way to get a CZ trigger to where it needs to be. This CZ455 VPT is my sons and he runs the bolt hard and fast, which might have contributed to the bolt retaining issue. I’ve tried to get him to run the gun smoother, but he can run the snot out of it- fast and accurate- so I don’t have as much traction with him.

A CZ, with a trigger mod (YoDave or Timmeny), DIP rail, SS 10x42, and some Wolf Match Extra has been hard to beat. Better ammo only starts to really show benefits past 125 yards or so as the deviation in MV starts to impact POI. There is some kind of gremlin that lives at about 175m that likes to push 22lr around, of course, they don’t put all those windmills out here in Colorado because it is so still.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    A CZ, with a trigger mod (YoDave or Timmeny), DIP rail, SS 10x42, and some Wolf Match Extra has been hard to beat. Better ammo only starts to really show benefits past 125 yards or so as the deviation in MV starts to impact POI. There is some kind of gremlin that lives at about 175m that likes to push 22lr around, of course, they don’t put all those windmills out here in Colorado because it is so still.
    That's what I bought.. the Yo Dave. I had to set it aside and couldn't remember the name. I've heard several speak highly of the DIP products as well.

I'll install the Yo Dave and see how things go. I sort of hate to call CZ knowing I was going to change that stuff out anyway.

so you guys only go to about 9 to 10X. I have a very weak right eye. I'm heavily opposite eye dominant. I would prefer to shoot righty but often end up just switching to lefty. I -think- the scope my friend has is like 8X max and I feel like I need way more. Now his is just a cheap scope that came as a package deal on a Savage I believe. Actually the first scope broke and they replaced it with a slightly better one.

But I was watching this guy....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGeoVHTWZwQ
    Sightron SIII 10-50 x 60mm - Mil Dot Reticle, Second Focal Plane --- `1K$

Now he says he mostly leaves it on 24X

Then in Reply... the actual LRSoU user:
    The majority of the shooters in this match shoot SWFA optics because the quality to price point is superior. On a tight budget I would recommend their fixed power optics like the 16 or 20 power ($300) . The next step up is their 3-15 variable power ($599) then I believe they have a 5-20 (not sure but I'm guess $7-900. At that point I'd suggest sightron Sii over the SWFA. YOu ahve to understand that the requirements for the 22 match are unique. We need an optic that focuses down below 25 yards which is rare. It's also an advantage to have great magnification because we're shooting tiny targets like playing cards sideways, toothpicks. Etc. 
    I'm wondering if I should be looking for a 3-15 or 5-20 used. I just feel like because of my eyes I may want/need something in the 12-20 range.

Feedback Score
    thanks guys!

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a bolt action 22lr. I want a traditional heavy barrel rifle for target shooting as well as for limited small game hunting and pest control. I've looked at the Savage Mark II BV, Marlin XT-22VR and Ruger American Rimfire Target so far. I'm not really leaning towards any one of them over the other at this point. Just like to get opinions on them and maybe other similar models.

Thanks, NYH1.
    Of the three listed I'd go in this order

1)Savage (odds are good you get a very accurate barrel and trigger, cons of known extractor problems and mag lips loosen dumping ammo all over)
    2)Ruger (great magazine, decent action, see a few at NRA silhouette matches. Cons, not known for their triggers and barrels are hit and miss as to accuracy)
    3)Marlin (I dont have real world experience with this one, but Marlin is under the Freedom Group irrc, never see one at any matches I go to)

These are all in the $400 +/-100 area. As has been all ready suggested I'd look very hard at a CZ 452(threaded action, no longer in production) or 455(slip fit action, current production) Varmint or tactical(threaded muzzle) models. The CZ American has a standard profile barrel that is lighter and some are threaded. I have a 4 year old 455 tacticool that has about 6k through it now and have been very pleased with it. The build quality on the CZ's are great and in my opinion are a big step up from the 3 you have listed. The con I have seen (2 on a sample size of 11 CZ's I see regularly) is the bolt can have the "pull out" issue. The trigger unit is also the bolt retainer and the ramp bevel was incorrect. One was replaced on warranty by CZ the other the guy replaced trigger with aftermarket unit.

Going up the price ladder in the $700-$1100 arena gets you into the Anschutz 64 action or used 54 action or Suhl rifles. These are the German BMWs / Mercedes of the bolt action rimfire world. Very nice stocks and actions that are very smooth and triggers that phenomenal and accurate barrels.

$1500+ (more like 2k+) starts to open the door to the higher end Anschutz 54 actions, Remington 40x (out of production) conversions, custom guns and a new interesting kid on the block, Vudoo Gun Works (making new Defiant style stainless actions specific to 22 oriented PRS trainers using R700 stock pattern and custom AICS mags)

The NRA 22 silhouette crowd is standing unsupported offhand with weight classes shooting at steel 45-110 yard ranges. Essentially it is the standing squirrel gun shooter group, and some of them are way to competitive with way too much $$$. However you get to see a lot of different brands and what works and what fails. The preferred set up for this group is a Anschutz 54 action with a light sporter barrel with a Leupold 6-18 VX2/3 scope, about a $3k setup new. I get some smirks when I show up with the CZ455 or a Kidd10/22, but I dont care about that as it is a contest with myself and my abilities.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Might of missed but didn't see this posted: $50 rebate on Savage Mark IIs thru Dec 31
    http://www.savagearms.com/downloads/...upon_Final.pdf

Feedback Score
    austin, thanks.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We really love our MkII FVSR, but its on the heavy side for my wife and way too beefy for my young daughter. The LOP on the Boyd's stock is also too long for the little one. I wish Savage made a threaded Rascal, or Ruger would make the American Rimfire Compact in a 16" threaded version with a lighter barrel profile for littler kids.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    We really love our MkII FVSR, but its on the heavy side for my wife and way too beefy for my young daughter. The LOP on the Boyd's stock is also too long for the little one. I wish Savage made a threaded Rascal, or Ruger would make the American Rimfire Compact in a 16" threaded version with a lighter barrel profile for littler kids.

That's the exact same stock I put on mine and while it greatly improves the balance, the gun is quite hefty for a .22. I think they could've gotten away with a lighter contour barrel and it would be better. Mine wears a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14X42 AO that I got on sale. It's a ragged one holer at 50 yards with Fiocchi 40gr subsonic HPs.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    That's the exact same stock I put on mine and while it greatly improves the balance, the gun is quite hefty for a .22. I think they could've gotten away with a lighter contour barrel and it would be better. Mine wears a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14X42 AO that I got on sale. It's a ragged one holer at 50 yards with Fiocchi 40gr subsonic HPs.
    Yes, it balances very well for me and puts 10 rounds through the same hole with a few different CCI loads at 50 yards. I'm very happy with it, but the laminate stock with a pretty long LOP and low comb is too heavy and ill-fitting for the girls, and the barrel certainly doesn't need to be as stout as it is.

Savage would do well if they threaded the Rascal, and even better if they made a magazine-fed version of it.

Feedback Score
    Called a place today to see if they had the Savage. I told him the Mark II BV 22 lr. He said they had one for $219.99, good price. We stopped by one place and got my son his Marlin 336C 30-30 Win.

Then went to pick up the Savage. We get there and they say "we have a Mark II but it's not the BV". I was pissed. Drove all the way across the county to get something I specifically asked if they had, which they said they did....and they didn't.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast