Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Colt 37mm M203

Feedback Score
    Thanks, good points... enough to end my curiosity.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    I'd better report myself to the ATF then.

No, the rounds are not DDs, unless they are of the explodey variety (over the prescribed limit, as there are projectiles with HE in them that are not DD). Chalk, parachute, practice, smoke, buckshot, less lethal and others are all non DD options in 40mm.
    The ATF will beg to differ on that. Go ask all the less lethal companies. The ATF is now considering all LL 37mm impact rds as DD. Their new ruling is that if you fire a 37mm LL impact rd, the launcher has to be registered as a DD- even for agencies . The LL companies are getting hemmed up over this now. They consider all 40mm non sporting and now DD- that is their latest ruling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
    The ATF will beg to differ on that. Go ask all the less lethal companies. The ATF is now considering all LL 37mm impact rds as DD. Their new ruling is that if you fire a 37mm LL impact rd, the launcher has to be registered as a DD- even for agencies . The LL companies are getting hemmed up over this now. They consider all 40mm non sporting and now DD- that is their latest ruling
    Feel free to post a letter if you have one. The launcher is DD, not the rounds. It's always been that way. My favorite places are still selling loaded 40mm LL rounds without restriction.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I made an op-ed post awhile back commenting that while people were excited about the "Hearing Protection Act", and thinking they were winning against the man... the ATF continued to overstep its authority with arbitrary rules it made up itself. This would be like a cop deciding that you were being a jackass in a no jackass zone, so he was going to arrest you or seize your property. You can't interpret or make up laws however you want in law enforcement work, evidently unless you are the ATF.

Ruling made and enforced on a whim are not legal, and most certainly not ethical, yet nothing is done to change this.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Back in 2015, TFB ran an article titled "ATF Rules 40mm Practice “Chalk” Rounds Are Explosives, Destructive Devices"

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ctive-devices/
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The ATF just sucks so hard....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I do not have a letter. I'm an instructor for DEFTEC, ALS, and CTS- they all have said this for quite some time Apparently, someone at ATF made a "ruling" that that 40mm is not a "sporting round" and therefore a DD based on diameter. I think it's BS considering 40mm LL rds are only powered by .38 blanks. They also have the new "ideas" about 37mm launchers-I believe it's if you fire any anti personnel rd thru a 37mm flare gun, it now becomes a DD and MUST BE registered . Feel free to contact any of the major LL manufacturers for verification I'm not saying I agree with the ATF, but it is their current operating procedure
    Last edited by quackhead; 12-12-17 at 04:48.

Feedback Score
    I know they've been pressuring manufacturers to restrict sales, and I know that they have been scouring the secondary market to 'recover' items that were re-directed from the military market to the civilian market... and I know they are doing the same with other items, like smoke grenades (I believe based on the black powder exemption in the 'sporting purposes' clause)....but it's a pretty big jump from there to '40mm ammo is now DD'. Fortunately, they haven't quite gotten there yet.

I'm working on a 60mm mortar DD (in the 'collecting parts' phase), and an RPG2 DD, and the line I have to dance on to make the projectiles I want to make is exceptionally fine... even more so than the 40mm.

Feedback Score
    I do not have a letter. I'm an instructor for DEFTEC, ALS, and CTS- they all have said this for quite some time Apparently, someone at ATF made a "ruling" that that 40mm is not a "sporting round" and therefore a DD based on diameter. I think it's BS considering 40mm LL rds are only powered by .38 blanks. They also have the new "ideas" about 37mm launchers-I believe it's if you fire any anti personnel rd thru a 37mm flare gun, it now becomes a DD and MUST BE registered . Feel free to contact any of the major LL manufacturers for verification I'm not saying I agree with the ATF, but it is their current operating procedure
    This is my understanding also. In 37mm, any rounds that can be used against people make the launcher a DD. Without DD'ing a 37mm, you can fire smoke, flares.
    All 40mm launchers are DD.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

Still....them pigeons start lookin' like NVA scouts needin' a bird bomb. So...I will try and get one even if it is just a wallhanger
    Funny you should mention this. My dad said his favorite thing to do with the 79 in Nam was taking out chickens on the perimeter. Just dial in the yardage, and poof... So yeah, i want me a 79...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast