Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BCM: Buyer Beware

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

BCM: Buyer Beware

Last week I bought 3 carbine action springs from BCM. By my previous experiences and their industry reputation, this should have been a safe bet. The springs arrived a few days ago and I pulled them out and measured length, since that is how the tm prescribes wear measurement. The allowable range is 10-1/16” to 11-1/4”. Once a spring is below 10-1/16” it is determined to be worn and should be replaced. These new springs from BCM all measured 10-1/4” or 3/16” above minimum spec. I thought to myself, “wow, that’s not much room for wear.” I emailed BCM to express my concern and their respons was that the springs are “well within spec.” I disagree, and replied stating that if they considered these springs to be in spec then I would like to return them for a full refund to include return shipping. BCM’s response was to send me a copy of their return policy, which states they will not cover shipping, 2 weeks for a refund, etc.

The problem I have with this is they are essentially selling defective or out of spec goods and then not willing to make good on the return when the problem is found out. I suppose the message is “buyer beware” and perhaps BCM is another company who has forgotten their roots in the name of profit.
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You’re both right. There isn’t much room for wear but they are within spec. I wouldn’t expect hem to cover shipping on a return of an item that is technically correct. Not preferable but technically correct.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Do you like trains, OP?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Do you like trains, OP?
    Clearly I’m missing something.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    While the springs are at the low end of the spec, they are within the spec. What you are missing is that the manufacturing process is also in control. You got three separate springs and all three measure the same.

I would use the springs and return them if they have a short service life.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well, the springs are within the "specs", even though at the shorter end of the spectrum. For the $20.00 spent on the springs and shipping, I would start using one of them right away and keep an accurate round count to determine its service life once the length reaches 10". It could be that even though the springs are a bit shorter, testing by the manufacturer has determined that the springs will have a normal service life.

Feedback Score
    A key question here is how many rounds does it take to continue to compress the spring until it is out of spec? If it's five or six thousand rounds then probably you don't have an issue. If it's more like one thousand rounds, then I wouldn't order parts from BCM anymore.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Who measures new springs? Shit.. I don't even measure old springs. I just buy Colt springs at Brownells and don't give it a thought.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I don't understand how receiving a part that is within an allowable range would cause a buyer to beware. I would rather have a quality part on the short end of the spectrum than a mystery metal spring which measures at the upper end of the tolerance.

Andy

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I would rather have a quality part on the short end of the spectrum
    See, that's the problem. How do you know it's a quality part? Just because BCM sells it? If it were a quality part, it would not be at the ragged low end of the acceptable range.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast