Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR10 Recommendation ???

Feedback Score

AR10 Recommendation ???

A friend asked me about AR10s which I know pretty much zero about and I have never owned one. He want's one to deer hunt with and plink, and he is on a relatively small budget. I assume the pricing is near bottom now like AR15s?

For an AR15 I would personally recommend an entry level "name brand" like a S&W MP15 sport. What would be something along that line in an AR in 308 rifle?

Also, he asked about a 308 upper to mix & match with a 556 upper on the same lower. I would assume they would need a different buffer spring, but again, I have no knowledge or experience on this 308 AR topic???

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shotmeshotu View Post
    A friend asked me about AR10s which I know pretty much zero about and I have never owned one. He want's one to deer hunt with and plink, and he is on a relatively small budget. I assume the pricing is near bottom now like AR15s?

For an AR15 I would personally recommend an entry level "name brand" like a S&W MP15 sport. What would be something along that line in an AR in 308 rifle?

Also, he asked about a 308 upper to mix & match with a 556 upper on the same lower. I would assume they would need a different buffer spring, but again, I have no knowledge or experience on this 308 AR topic???
    An AR-10 and an AR-15 have different sized lowers. They are not compatible with each other when it comes to swapping out uppers. An AR-10 also requires a different sized receiver extension kit than an AR-15. AR-15 bolt carrier groups, charging handles, rails, muzzle devices, etc, are also not compatible with the AR-10 platform.

Feedback Score
    and the AR10 to expand on the post above doesn't mix and match well even among other AR10 manufs.

Feedback Score
    The colt 901 is a convertible lower. Based on reviews it seems to be a decent GP rifle. I’d do some research on that to start.

Feedback Score
    Armalite can be had under 1k and are probably the best budget choice imo. Aero has an oem model at Brownells as well.

On the lower end PSA. Sells uppers and lowers you can pin together for around $600 but get mixed feedback. Most have to add adjustable gas block to get running reliably. Dpms also had lower end models that seem to get mixed feedback as well

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If I were budget limited I would look at getting a .300 Blackout, 6.8 or 6.5 which would allow a 5.56 upper change out.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    If I were budget limited I would look at getting a .300 Blackout, 6.8 or 6.5 which would allow a 5.56 upper change out.
    at hunting ranges, .300BLK would be a very affordable option for deer

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shotmeshotu View Post

Low end models are cheap right now. High-end stuff like LMT seems to be at the same prices as ever. Your friend's use and budget obviously are low end.

The S&W M&P10 is reasonably well made and might be in the $1000 range right now. Cheaper than that, gen1 DPMS rifles are not as bad as you'd think given DPMS's general reputation, and I saw a base model (16" optics ready) for $699 a week or two ago. Nothing fancy and about as far from mil-spec as a homemade slingshot, but would be workable for hunting and plinking.

High quality in .308 ARs starts at c. $2099 (best price I saw on a Colt 901, and not recently) and goes up from there.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    My Colt 901 is a 1.5 MOA rifle for 10 shots. Typical Colt quality and reliability thus far as well as relatively lightweight. I don’t remember the exact price I paid, but it under $2k. If you go this route, I’d look for a deal that came with the conversation kit, which works well.
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 12-04-17 at 13:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Armalite can be had under 1k and are probably the best budget choice imo. Aero has an oem model at Brownells as well.

On the lower end PSA. Sells uppers and lowers you can pin together for around $600 but get mixed feedback. Most have to add adjustable gas block to get running reliably. Dpms also had lower end models that seem to get mixed feedback as well
    Personally I'd stay away from PSA in .308, I think they make great AR15 for the money but like said above the .308 variants are mixed. If I had a budget of $1200ish I'd probably go with DPMS. They have been doing the .308 stick for a while now and I believe they are SR25 based, so you can use .308 pmags?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast