Thread: Hunting rifle scope reticle question

Feedback Score

Hunting rifle scope reticle question

Hello All,

I'm looking for a cheap scope to put on a T/C Compass 30-06. Let me say up front, that I don't hunt, and I bought this gun as part of my TEOTWAWKI/Zombie Invasion fantasy. I made a lowball bid on Gunbroker that won, so it'll only be used to punch paper. So, my question is going to seem very stupid to most of you.

It's a cheap gun so I'm going with a cheap scope. I'm considering a Leupold VX-1. It has a duplex reticle, and that's my issue. I'm surprised that there are no hash marks to use for hold overs. Is the idea that when hunting you're going to be so close that you don't need to worry about such things?

Thanks,

JRCII

Feedback Score
    Put a Tasco 3-9X50 on it, seems like it would fit the spirit of your goal.

Feedback Score
    The Leupold VX-1 is Leupold's entry level scope line. With that you're going to get entry level features. You're still getting a quality scope with a lifetime warranty. You'll have to go up to the VX-2 line to start getting the features you mentioned.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Duplex reticles were the standard for decades. Properly used, they are fine. I actually prefer them as I don't take hunting shots beyond 300 yds with my rifles. I sight them in using the maximum point blank range method. https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...t-blank-range/ All my rifles will hit a 10" kill zone out to about 350yds without worrying one bit about scope adjustment or hold over. Also, you can get the dimensions of the duplex reticle from whatever manufacturer you choose. They will give the dimensions from the fine cross hair down to where it changes to the thick part. That is useful information. This allows most of my rifles to have an additional aiming point that gets me out to 450ish yards.. (depends on cartridge).

Feedback Score
    If you zero at the top of the reticle you have two alternative long range holds - the center crosshair and the bottom duplex. It's still pretty rough, but it beats having only one hold.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Get one with an lr duplex reticle. Ive made hits out to 400yds weith a 2-7x33 vx1 with that reticle.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Duplex reticles were the standard for decades. Properly used, they are fine. I actually prefer them as I don't take hunting shots beyond 300 yds with my rifles. I sight them in using the maximum point blank range method. https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...t-blank-range/ All my rifles will hit a 10" kill zone out to about 350yds without worrying one bit about scope adjustment or hold over. Also, you can get the dimensions of the duplex reticle from whatever manufacturer you choose. They will give the dimensions from the fine cross hair down to where it changes to the thick part. That is useful information. This allows most of my rifles to have an additional aiming point that gets me out to 450ish yards.. (depends on cartridge).
    This right here. My .270 shoots flat enough that, using the standard duplex recticle and proper zero, I can get it into the deer's vitals out to 320 yards without any kind of adjustment or hold over. And that is a lot farther than any shot I will encounter at my current hunting grounds.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just remember you must use the same magnification power for any holdover points in the reticle other than where the cross hairs meet.

Meaning where the thick portion transitions to thin on top (or bottom) will have different zeros at 3 power and 9 power.

Feedback Score
    Look around for used Zeiss Conquest 3-9x scopes. The ballistic Z reticle is great and configurable to your specific load using the Zeiss application for the smartphone. I run one on my T3X lite .308 and can manage hits out in the 400 yard range without issue. Just remember, it is second focal plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk