Thread: AAR - Dark Angel Medical Direct Action Response Training NYC 12/02 & 12/03/2017

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

AAR - Dark Angel Medical Direct Action Response Training NYC 12/02 & 12/03/2017

AAR - Dark Angel Medical Direct Action Response Training NYC 12/02 & 12/03/2017

I took this class over the weekend and can’t say anything bad about it. As a matter of fact I have a lot very positive to say about it. As a LSHD type I have only had minimal civilian CPR/FA training in the past, and largely influenced by current events and recently ‘getting back into’ shooting more regularly I decided I needed to learn more about how to use these CAT, SOFTT-W, and SWAT-T tourniquets and QuickClot things I bought and stuffed into my range bag and EDC backpack. All the trigger time in the world will do me no good if some jackass ND/AD’s me at the range, I get into or witness some horrific accident, or some terry chooses to aloha snackbar some soft target I’m at one day.

I have no affiliation with Dark Angel Medical and to clarify I copied the course information I pasted below direct from their training page.

D.A.R.T. is two day class and cost about $400. Not necessarily cheap but to me it was going to be a good investment. I booked the class months ago, and it did sell out. There were approximately 25 attendees, mostly New Yorkers and majority seemed to be grad students that were a group. Some people from Philadelphia and New Jersey, as well as UNY. There was free street parking I lucked upon, and plenty of good food within walking distance. Columbia University is a nice campus and had great facilities.
    D4931107-7BDA-43D0-B097-38639E6B31CA.jpg0F5135AF-5E4B-49BE-B5FD-6EF886560323.jpgD4653DF0-5324-42C0-B60C-65CBCD73B520.jpg

Our instructor Kerry Davis was very good at connecting with his audience and explained things at a level that was easy to understand. If you had a question no problem just ask away. His experience and knowledge was evident in his teaching, and he is very personable and used a good amount of humor throughout as well. It wasn’t ‘hey I’m ex MIL (or LEO) so listen to me’ if you know what I mean. The first day wrapped about 30 minutes early, but the second day went about 30 minutes late - so between the two days the course ran a solid 16 hours (minus an hour for lunch and some 10 minute stretch breaks).

There was graphic traumatic injury material that it seemed some attendees weren’t prepared to see. GSW’s, amputations, impale wounds, stabbings, IED blast wounds, et cetera. Between pictures and videos I think most any type of non fatal yet traumatic wound one could suffer was covered. “Now at least you’ve seen it once and may be more prepared if you have to see it ‘live’ “ I think was the rationale.

There was thorough explanation of CAT’s and hemostatics, NPA’s, Israeli bandages, z gauze, nitrile gloves, and chest seals. Also improvised means were covered (put a big safety pin with your IFAK for an improvised sling!). There was a good portion of day 2 where we went hands on with all these items both just to check out but also to train on utilizing a ‘meat log’ and an airway head. Counterfeit CAT’s were shown and warned against. We also did on demand drills throughout the two days with CAT trainers applying them to ourselves, on both arms and legs. The last hour or so we practiced in two’s or three’s on each other.

605CC4A7-A50E-4900-9394-5F27F3BD1925.jpg67FF5F1D-12FE-4149-BDDD-31C4F49EEB87.jpg

A pro looking spiral bound packet (150 pages) of all of the PowerPoint slides was provided that can be studied and reviewed at home. And when I registered I chose to purchase a D.A.R.K. Trauma Kit that was delivered at the class as well, which now I have it in my hands I can say is very high quality and well thought out (I never liked the HSGI Bleeder kit and have been looking to replace it on my SHTF rig). I will now be upgrading all my range bag and EDC medical based on what I learned.

Remember: “Blood belongs in the body. It’s science.” KGD

and

“Tourniquets save lives.” KGD

I put links and some of my own pictures below. Any Q’s or clarifications ask away. Thanks for reading.

http://darkangelmedical.com
    http://darkangelmedical.com/training/

WHEN: 2-3 December 2017

WHERE: Columbia University

TIME: 0900-1700 Daily

The time to learn to use your personal trauma kit is not when you or someone else is bleeding out!!! When life expectancy is measured in seconds and help is minutes away, will you know what to do? In our uncertain lives, that is a question that we all need to be able to answer a resounding, “Yes!” to. Dark Angel Medical, LLC, is proud to offer training and instruction in the use of the D.A.R.K. The Direct Action Response Training** fills a niche between military self-aid/buddy care training and civilian EMS training and is geared towards those with little to no medical training or background. It provides the student with critical, need-to-know information, which can be utilized in a myriad of situations and stresses the ‘you don’t know what you don’t know’ principle as well as our own principle of “Simplicity Under Stress”. The course is 2 days in length with a total of 16 hours of classroom work to include slide presentations, videos, question and answer sessions and hands-on practical skills application. A manual and all training aids will be provided. A D.A.R.K. (Direct Action Response Kit) may also be provided to each student as part of the tuition.

The course covers the following:

Physiological and Psychological reactions to environmental stress
    The importance of having the proper Combat Mindset
    Basic Anatomy and Physiology of life-sustaining systems
    H, A, B, C’s—Hemorrhage, Airway, Breathing and Circulation
    Breakdown and usage of Individual Med Kit components
    Proper stowage and employment of the IMK
    Hands-on application of the IMK
    Basic and Advanced Airway management -treating and monitoring tension pneumothorax, sucking chest wound and flail chest
    Airway adjunct device placement-Nasopharyngeal Airway
    Basic First Aid and Advanced wound care
    Application of Bandages and Hemostatic Agents
    Application of tourniquets
    Recognition and Treatment of various injuries (Gunshot, Laceration, Burn, Airway, Head, Orthopedic, Environmental)
    Recognition and treatment of hypovolemic (hemorrhagic) shock
    Moving and positioning victims with various injuries
    Response to active shooter situation
    Proper use of cover and cover vs. concealment
    Casualty recovery in an Active Shooter situation
    Mass casualty triage procedure
    Emergency Medical Dialect/Lingo (911 protocol, cooperation with LE, Fire and EMS and First Responders)
    Hardware/Kit

All training materials are provided.
    Last edited by VARIABLE9; 12-04-17 at 12:45.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Any training with Kerry and Dark Angel is a very wise investment of both money and time.

Thanks for posting the AAR, I hope it gets more people into medical training.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Any training with Kerry and Dark Angel is a very wise investment of both money and time.

Thanks for posting the AAR, I hope it gets more people into medical training.
    Thanks for the comment SS. I’m very glad to have taken it when I did, because there aren’t any other classes on their schedule in my AO in 2018. That might change however what I learned and the knowledge I obtained now is worth more to me than convenience in future scheduling or the expense. It really was worth it to me.