Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To chassis....or not to chassis....

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

To chassis....or not to chassis....

Update: I spoke to Matt at XLR today. I was seriously gonna go with the Element, but I ended up with an Envy instead. Bought an AICS mag from them as well as I learned from both Matt and reading above that PMAG's dont work. They have one in stock, so it shouldnt be too long before its in. Thanks for the help gents.

I have a Tikka T3X CTR 20" in 6.5 Creedmore on its way to me. I have not shot a bolt gun in 15 years, and have never hunted with one or done target shooting with a bolt gun either. I, however, have always wanted a really cool bolt gun to do some light deer hunting, varmint hunting, and target/steel shooting with my buddies that have Ruger RPR's and Savage Stealth's.

So, I got a random hair up my arse the other night and ordered a CTR and Vortex Viper 4-16x50 HS scope. Now, I should have just bought a RPR and been done with it, but I wasn't thinking right....

I went to my LGS and actually held CTR, and I'll be honest, I am not a huge fan of the stock. The other part of me that I hate is that everything I have must be super cool at all times. I am sure this gun with the current stock could outshoot me anyday of the week, but nothing can be left alone...

So, I really like the look of a chassis and think they may benefit me as a shooter.

$750 is my top end of the budget

XLR Element: Cheaper option, with stock it's $672.
    XLR Envy: Seems to have everything someone like me would be looking for in a Chassis, and it's only $740.
    KRG X Ray: It's a beautiful stock, but it would seem that with the add-ons needed to get to where the Envy is, the price point no longer makes sense.
    KRG Bravo: It's slightly more traditional, and seems heavier, but the $400 price tag is nice
    MDT LSS: A fairly affordable option, but I would need to provide my own furniture and it seems almost to minimalist (what do I know though)

And the last option, keep the CTR stock, add a Harris BRM Bipod, and just shoot it.

What seems like the best option here?

I'm leaning towards the XLR Envy at the top end, and KRG Bravo at the low.
    Last edited by LowSpeed_HighDrag; 12-05-17 at 19:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

If everything you have must be super cool, than you are already behind the curve. You need to dump it all and get this:

This would be in the not to chassis option.
    Last edited by Cold/Bore; 12-04-17 at 18:11.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold/Bore View Post
    If everything you have must be super cool, than you are already behind the curve. You need to dump it all and get this:

This would be in the not to chassis option.
    Ahhh, I suppose it must be super cool to me. Thats super cool to all, but not my bank account.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Low speed,

I have been dealing with XLR for my FN. Matt Means with XLR HAS given me outstanding customer service while dealing with a UPS issue. While I am limited to the XLR Evolution or Mcree chassis due to my action, I am 100% happy with how XLR has helped me out.

Next issue is how the Chassis holds the receiver. I have no doubt that X-ray is a great chassis and have seen many good reviews. However I believe they use v-block bedding to secure the action while XLR cuts their chassis to match the receiver. Even if it’s a non-issue I don’t like the idea of v-block bedding due to just having slight/minimal receiver to chassis contact. I prefer more uniform contact such as provided by XLR.

There’s a video on YouTube from Short Action Customs using a premium after market receiver and a v-block mini chassis that shows how much tension the receiver is under with a v-block, worth a look.

Again I’m no expert but I can attest to the high level of customer service from XLR.

Found video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_TwczrQoLek
    Last edited by Serpico1985; 12-04-17 at 18:28.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What type of hunting do you do? Do you have the skills to achieve the 10-20% reduction in group size over the factory stock. A well bedded non-chassis stock is likely to perform at the same level as a chassis.

Keeping up with the cool kids can be fun, but not when it gets you a tool that doesn't work for your purposes. A traditional Manners, HS Precision, etc stock will likely be much more flexible in use than a chassis.

I have two precision Remington 700s. One is in a traditional Bell and Carlson stock, and the other is in an AICS-AT. For any use that requires movement with the rifle, the chassis rifle isn't going to get chosen.

Of course if being cool trumps all else, then buy whatever you want and have fun.
    Last edited by grizzman; 12-04-17 at 19:01.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Ahhh, I suppose it must be super cool to me. Thats super cool to all, but not my bank account.
    My mistake. Got a little carried away.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What are you doing for mags?

For my Tikka T3x I put it in a MDT HS3 chassis (got it on scratch and dent/demo off their website, $200 off if I remember right)and use their mags at $40 a pop. Magpul AICS mags WILL NOT work with the Tikka T3, the feed lips are too wide. The MDT's AICS mags work fine though.

I have the XLR element on my Bergara and I really like that chassis. The XLR folding stock option is one of the cheaper ones out there at ~100 or so.

I would really like to play with a Masterpiece Arms chassis as well, but dont have any time on one yet.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    First of all, solid choice with the Tikka over the RPR. IMO you got a much better platform to build off of.

The debate on chassis vs. more traditional stocks is never ending and ultimately comes down to personal preference. If you like the feel of a chassis, go for it.

I have my 700 in a McRee's G10 and it's awesome. Relatively light weight, modular, easily adjustable and the folding stock makes it way easier to put in a pack. They make one for the Tikka, you should take a look at it.

However, it's pretty much a dedicated PRS rig. I might go shoot a deer with it if I had the opportunity, but at ~15lbs it goes in my pack if I have to carry it for any length of time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A vote for the traditional stock over chassis here. I have a 700 with a varmint contour barrel sitting in a McMillan A3. Been using it for hunting/target in this config for about 7 years now. Its somewhere around 12-13 lbs loaded and I wish I went with something a little lighter.

For a field/hunting rifle I’ve come around to the less is more camp. You want it to balance well shooting offhand and also have a stable platform if shooting off a log/rock/fence/pickup bed (that’s where the beavertail fore-ends come in). I prefer the more vertical grips of the tactical stocks too since they put your hand in a better position (think gunfighter vs a2 grip angle) and you can get a fatter palm swell. I’d probably get one of these if I did it all over again:

https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rif...en-adjustable/

Pretty good hybrid of a tactical and hunting stock. And you can get it in whatever color/camo pattern your heart desires. Good luck and good choice on the tikka!
    Last edited by marco.g; 12-04-17 at 22:10.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    What type of hunting do you do? Do you have the skills to achieve the 10-20% reduction in group size over the factory stock. A well bedded non-chassis stock is likely to perform at the same level as a chassis.

Keeping up with the cool kids can be fun, but not when it gets you a tool that doesn't work for your purposes. A traditional Manners, HS Precision, etc stock will likely be much more flexible in use than a chassis.

I have two precision Remington 700s. One is in a traditional Bell and Carlson stock, and the other is in an AICS-AT. For any use that requires movement with the rifle, the chassis rifle isn't going to get chosen.
    I do prairie dogs, coyotes, and a rare deer. All are essentially stationary.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico1985 View Post
    Low speed,

I have been dealing with XLR for my FN. Matt Means with XLR HAS given me outstanding customer service while dealing with a UPS issue. While I am limited to the XLR Evolution or Mcree chassis due to my action, I am 100% happy with how XLR has helped me out.

Next issue is how the Chassis holds the receiver. I have no doubt that X-ray is a great chassis and have seen many good reviews. However I believe they use v-block bedding to secure the action while XLR cuts their chassis to match the receiver. Even if it’s a non-issue I don’t like the idea of v-block bedding due to just having slight/minimal receiver to chassis contact. I prefer more uniform contact such as provided by XLR.

There’s a video on YouTube from Short Action Customs using a premium after market receiver and a v-block mini chassis that shows how much tension the receiver is under with a v-block, worth a look.

Again I’m no expert but I can attest to the high level of customer service from XLR.

Found video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_TwczrQoLek
    Thats a great video. I have been talking to Matt as well, seems like a good dude.

Quote Originally Posted by tigershilone View Post
    What are you doing for mags?

For my Tikka T3x I put it in a MDT HS3 chassis (got it on scratch and dent/demo off their website, $200 off if I remember right)and use their mags at $40 a pop. Magpul AICS mags WILL NOT work with the Tikka T3, the feed lips are too wide. The MDT's AICS mags work fine though.

I have the XLR element on my Bergara and I really like that chassis. The XLR folding stock option is one of the cheaper ones out there at ~100 or so.

I would really like to play with a Masterpiece Arms chassis as well, but dont have any time on one yet.
    Thats good to know on the Magpul mags, I was about to order a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    First of all, solid choice with the Tikka over the RPR. IMO you got a much better platform to build off of.

The debate on chassis vs. more traditional stocks is never ending and ultimately comes down to personal preference. If you like the feel of a chassis, go for it.

I have my 700 in a McRee's G10 and it's awesome. Relatively light weight, modular, easily adjustable and the folding stock makes it way easier to put in a pack. They make one for the Tikka, you should take a look at it.

However, it's pretty much a dedicated PRS rig. I might go shoot a deer with it if I had the opportunity, but at ~15lbs it goes in my pack if I have to carry it for any length of time.
    Wow, 15lbs is heavy. Is that common with a chassis rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by marco.g View Post
    A vote for the traditional stock over chassis here. I have a 700 with a varmint contour barrel sitting in a McMillan A3. Been using it for hunting/target in this config for about 7 years now. Its somewhere around 12-13 lbs loaded and I wish I went with something a little lighter.

For a field/hunting rifle I’ve come around to the less is more camp. You want it to balance well shooting offhand and also have a stable platform if shooting off a log/rock/fence/pickup bed (that’s where the beavertail fore-ends come in). I prefer the more vertical grips of the tactical stocks too since they put your hand in a better position (think gunfighter vs a2 grip angle) and you can get a fatter palm swell. I’d probably get one of these if I did it all over again:

https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rif...en-adjustable/

Pretty good hybrid of a tactical and hunting stock. And you can get it in whatever color/camo pattern your heart desires. Good luck and good choice on the tikka!
    I really like a lot of the Mcmillan offerings, but their ordering system is wonky and it makes it too tough.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast