Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Vortex Razor LPV Coming...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMKeith View Post
    Higher than the 1-8? Wow. That might be a nice toy to have at the range.
    Not LPVOs, looks like they're probably going to add a 2-10x32mm and something like a 3-12x or 4-16x42mm to the Strike Eagle lineup.

Feedback Score
    Got it. I am interested in their new red dot. Wonder if they will end up having something that last 50,000 hours like their competition.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Got it. I am interested in their new red dot. Wonder if they will end up having something that last 50,000 hours like their competition.
    I'm sure that's the case since they already have the Sparc II and Sparc AR in the lineup.

Feedback Score
    I hope I don’t regret my recent purchases.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I hope I don’t regret my recent purchases.
    Happens every time. I hold out and try to resist buying something, and by the time I finally break down and get one, it either goes on sale 50% off a week later or is replaced by a newer, more superior version in a couple of months.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    I don't know for sure, but does *anyone* in three gun competion use a FFP scope on their fast and furious rifles ? If not, as they say, that would be considered a clue.

Also, the following information is from a 2017 Remington magazine article I was reading at the bookstore about our armed services deciding to stick with the 7.62x51mm instead of the newer 6mm calibers. The head NC officer in charge of the special forces sniper school had done a survey of 108 school trained snipers who had seen service in Afghanistan and Iraq. The snipers were asked about engagement distances where they were employed as snipers. * The average * engagment distance for the 108 men across both theaters was 396 meters or *433 yards*. Its likely the marines were seeing something very similar. I would think at 433yds a FFP scope is not really needed or maybe even wanted and inside of 400yds the same would apply to a 16" barreled AR. After about 500 yds, I would rather just step up to a larger caliber and from there on out a FFP reticle might be preferred.
    I wouldn't know about any three gunners, but I do know Kyle Defoor is a big proponent of FFP in LPV scopes.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/08/06...yle-defoor-11/
    Last edited by SteveL; 12-06-17 at 17:18.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The one on the right will be slightly more expensive than the one on the left.

1-8 would be my guess.

Feedback Score
    Why would anyone NOT use FFP on a LPVO?

My understanding is that a LPVO is supposed to fullfil two roles:
    1. Rapid target engagement - This is what 1x is for. While not a true RDS, it gives you an approximation of a RDS
    2. Magnified target engagement - What we want magnified optics for. Not necessarily a quick shot, but sometthing you take a moment to line up.

Wouldn't you expect to transition quite a bit between the two and thus, you would have to make calculations and adjust for a POI shift every time you do? I would have to imagine you'd want to zero it at the high end of magnification. Wouldn't that throw off your POA/POI at 1x?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slateman View Post
    Why would anyone NOT use FFP on a LPVO?

My understanding is that a LPVO is supposed to fullfil two roles:
    1. Rapid target engagement - This is what 1x is for. While not a true RDS, it gives you an approximation of a RDS
    2. Magnified target engagement - What we want magnified optics for. Not necessarily a quick shot, but sometthing you take a moment to line up.

Wouldn't you expect to transition quite a bit between the two and thus, you would have to make calculations and adjust for a POI shift every time you do? I would have to imagine you'd want to zero it at the high end of magnification. Wouldn't that throw off your POA/POI at 1x?
    Only a very cheap or defective scope will change POI/POA when changing magnification (if I’m understanding your question correctly). FFP LPV’s are very sensitive to reticle design, in my experience. I have a USO SR-4C and a Mark 6 TMR-D. Both are designed to be used with their red dots on at 1x and while both are usable without illumination, their reticles are very thin at lowest magnification. On the other hand, at maximum magnification, their reticles are somewhat thick. Fine for silhouettes and such but not ideal for precision.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I wouldn't know about any three gunners, but I do know Kyle Defoor is a big proponent of FFP in LPV scopes.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/08/06...yle-defoor-11/

I think that scope is a dual focal plane scope. According to US Optics website site it is currently discontinued.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast