Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilson 1 Shot Extension disassembly question.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Wilson 1 Shot Extension disassembly question.

I bought an 870P w/o bbl for $80. I already had a SureFire forend and 18" bbl to use on the gun.

It was a 14" SBS and came with a 1 shot Wilson extension and 6 o'clock sling attachment. I swapped out the forend and couldn't figure out why the action wouldn't close! Then I saw a strange bend in the sling loop and thought how the hell did that bend. I wonder what some dumb ass did to bend that. Turns out I was the dumb ass!

It looks like it will come apart with snap ring pliers.

Have any you taken one apart? Wilson was closed when I called. I did a few searches and couldn't find any info. Looks like I can remove the sling attachment and run it w/o it. I will eventually get a left side version. I plan to SBS this in my name.

Would this work as a replacement?
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/mobile/S...SMP%2DS%2D870/

Going to order a two shot extension they're on sale for $36!

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/mobile/E...SGET%2DRH%2D2/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by usmcvet; 12-17-17 at 08:57.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    It took me entirely too long to figure out how a bent sling mount kept the action from closing.

I've never done it myself but I believe snap ring pliers are what you need.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TF82 View Post
    It took me entirely too long to figure out how a bent sling mount kept the action from closing.

I've never done it myself but I believe snap ring pliers are what you need.
    Me too! It was hitting the light on the SF forend. Thanks.

"Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't have a Wilson/Scattergun extension with a sling plate anymore, but I had the distinct impression that they did not come apart (as opposed to the Vang Comp extensions).

I had a similar issue with sling plate/forend interference - not the Surefire forend - and opted for the +1 extension having a QD stud at the end of the extension instead of a plate, but I don't think that style would play well with the Surefire setup either, because of the possibility of the sling/swivels getting in the way of the lamp's head and maybe causing a short stroke.

toc

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theorangecat View Post
    I don't have a Wilson/Scattergun extension with a sling plate anymore, but I had the distinct impression that they did not come apart (as opposed to the Vang Comp extensions).

I had a similar issue with sling plate/forend interference - not the Surefire forend - and opted for the +1 extension having a QD stud at the end of the extension instead of a plate, but I don't think that style would play well with the Surefire setup either, because of the possibility of the sling/swivels getting in the way of the lamp's head and maybe causing a short stroke.

toc
    The SF fore end will probably be on the EE soon. It’s a great light and wicked bright I just don’t see it working for me. I want my sling and mag extension back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    The SF fore end will probably be on the EE soon. It’s a great light and wicked bright I just don’t see it working for me.
    The SF forend has never been a good "fit" for my wants, which is a shame, as it is a neat, somewhat streamlined solution to putting a light on an 870. I make do with an old GG&G forend which is essentially a modified Speedfeed that has a short length of picatinny rail on the right side.

I just dug through my box o' crap and did find a Wilson/Scattergun +1 that I didn't give away. Even with the c-clip removed, I don't think the sling plate will come off the extension without being cut through or bent enough to open it up a bit. Now that I think about it, I believe that lack of being removable was why I was going to get a Vang extension until someone told me that the plates on the Vangs had a little more play than the Wilsons. I could get the Wilsons cheap at the time, and they work well enough.

toc

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Wilson 1 Shot Extension disassembly question.

Thanks TOC. This one isn't open on either end like this one is. I'll try to bend it back in place if it doesn't come off.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Thanks TOC. This one isn't open on either end like this one is. I'll try to bend it back in place if it doesn't come off.
    It should bend back without too much work hardening, as that looked like a pretty gentle bend.

Yeah, those stand-alone side sling mount plates that fit between the magazine end cap and the lug on the barrel do also have the opening on the bottom while the vertical versions don't have the opening. I stay away from those "sandwiched" plates because the tolerance stacking between some of the 870 receivers and barrels that have come and gone over the years left too few threads engaged to make me comfortable with reducing the thread contact by putting a plate in between them (I'm paranoid that way). Having the plates mounted on the extensions is the way to go as far as cap-to-tube thread engagement is concerned (IMO).

Back when I was still intending to use an 18" 870P as my "utility gun" (the long gun that would be kept within reach in the house and also travel with me), I went through a lot of different mag extensions and sling attachments. None of them turned out to be perfect in reality, despite most of them having a lot of fans. The two that finally won the coin toss were the Wilson/Scattergun +1 I am currently using and a parkerized Remington factory +2 kit (the one with an extension assembly and a clamp assembly) that I keep around because I may decide I need the extra round someday.

toc

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theorangecat View Post
    It should bend back without too much work hardening, as that looked like a pretty gentle bend.

Yeah, those stand-alone side sling mount plates that fit between the magazine end cap and the lug on the barrel do also have the opening on the bottom while the vertical versions don't have the opening. I stay away from those "sandwiched" plates because the tolerance stacking between some of the 870 receivers and barrels that have come and gone over the years left too few threads engaged to make me comfortable with reducing the thread contact by putting a plate in between them (I'm paranoid that way). Having the plates mounted on the extensions is the way to go as far as cap-to-tube thread engagement is concerned (IMO).

Back when I was still intending to use an 18" 870P as my "utility gun" (the long gun that would be kept within reach in the house and also travel with me), I went through a lot of different mag extensions and sling attachments. None of them turned out to be perfect in reality, despite most of them having a lot of fans. The two that finally won the coin toss were the Wilson/Scattergun +1 I am currently using and a parkerized Remington factory +2 kit (the one with an extension assembly and a clamp assembly) that I keep around because I may decide I need the extra round someday.

toc
    Thanks TOC. It's good to hear what's working. This one shot extension is 17 years old and going working well. I should replace the magazine spring. The gun has been loaded 24/7 for this 17 years too!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I removed the sling attachment point with no issues. My SBS cycles fine now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast