Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you trust your life to a Wylde chambered AR?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Would you trust your life to a Wylde chambered AR?

As title states - would you trust your life to a Wylde chambered AR, of course built with quality parts from reputable dealers? Ammo could be either 5.56Nato or .223 at anytime, just depends what would be in the mag when things beyond my control could happen.

2nd - at what point would a Wylde chamber benefit accuracy, or how accurate does one need to be before the chamber becomes an issue? Are we talking a 1MOA shooter, 1/2 MOA, 1/4MOA?

Thanks in advance,
    Bob

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes, I would trust my life to a quality AR with a 223 Wylde chamber that is cut correctly. The most important difference between an Wylde chamber, the 5.56 chamber and a 223 SAAMI chamber is the leade. The 5.56 chamber has a longer leade so 5.56 ammo can be loaded to higher velocities without exceeding safe pressures. The Wylde chamber tweaks the leade a bit to help the bullet enter the rifling a bit straighter.

The Wylde chamber only helps precision if the barrel is of good quality and quality ammo is used. If you're just gonna use blaster ammo, the Wylde chamber is just another chamber.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    1st) Sure. If the gun runs, then it runs.
    2nd) I'm not a good enough shooter for it to matter. You're probably not either, stop worrying so much about minutiae and go shoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ammo could be anything from Federal/IMI/CBC m193/m855 to different brands of match 223 in appropriate weight for the barrel twist. Really don't see me buying any non-brass cased ammo and there may be personal reloads in there in the future. Barrel would be something along the lines of Faxon or Ballistic Advantage (which I think are decent in the quality dept) but I do not have the $$ for the Krieger/Criterion type of stuff. I know everything is a compromise but would like to take it out to 300yds or so for fun, but also be a shtf if necessary rifle. I never want to build a tool that is only for 1 purpose but every tool I build could also serve as a shtf tool even if it was not its intended use.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    1st) Sure. If the gun runs, then it runs.
    2nd) I'm not a good enough shooter for it to matter. You're probably not either, stop worrying so much about minutiae and go shoot.
    OCD is a bitch.....

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
    Ammo could be anything from Federal/IMI/CBC m193/m855 to different brands of match 223 in appropriate weight for the barrel twist. Really don't see me buying any non-brass cased ammo and there may be personal reloads in there in the future. Barrel would be something along the lines of Faxon or Ballistic Advantage (which I think are decent in the quality dept) but I do not have the $$ for the Krieger/Criterion type of stuff. I know everything is a compromise but would like to take it out to 300yds or so for fun, but also be a shtf if necessary rifle. I never want to build a tool that is only for 1 purpose but every tool I build could also serve as a shtf tool even if it was not its intended use.
    Hits at 300Y with a standard barrel and M193/M855 isn't necessarily rare or impossible. If you're trying to shoot for groups at that range then that's a different conversation. I guess what I'm saying is that barring you buying a complete junk gun and ammo, the system is probably more capable than you are. See my 2nd comment above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    Hits at 300Y with a standard barrel and M193/M855 isn't necessarily rare or impossible. If you're trying to shoot for groups at that range then that's a different conversation. I guess what I'm saying is that barring you buying a complete junk gun and ammo, the system is probably more capable than you are. See my 2nd comment above.
    I got your 2nd comment and agree. @ 300yds, I would be using something w/ a good bullet and not M193/855 stuff, but something of a 'match' type ammo w/ a 69-77grn bullet.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Is this some kind of trick question?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wouldn't trust my life to any gun, no matter what its specs are until taking it out running a couple hundred rounds through it, and doing a good visual and cleaning afterwards.

I think you'd be surprised how well M193 can group at 300M. Not gonna win the internet award for accuracy but is definitely respectable.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
    As title states - would you trust your life to a Wylde chambered AR, of course built with quality parts from reputable dealers? Ammo could be either 5.56Nato or .223 at anytime, just depends what would be in the mag when things beyond my control could happen.

2nd - at what point would a Wylde chamber benefit accuracy, or how accurate does one need to be before the chamber becomes an issue? Are we talking a 1MOA shooter, 1/2 MOA, 1/4MOA?

Thanks in advance,
    Bob
    My recce has a wylde chamber, and it's a working gun shooting sub-MOA for quite a distance using high-end 5.56 loads. As others note, it's about manufacturing it all properly.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast