Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: m58 S&W

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)

m58 S&W

militarymoron's thread on his Taylor & Co SAA got me thinking about "classic" revolvers. More accurately perhaps- Classic Fighting revolvers.

Certainly S&W's m10, the ORIGINAL M&P comes to mind.
    I've always had a soft spot for 4" "N" frames. The triggers aren't as good as an old "K" frame, but they can be slicked up pretty nice and remain reliable- in terms of ignition.

The m58 has always been a favorite; N frame, 4", fixed sight, no ejector rod shroud, .41 magnum.
    Originally designed as a "Police Magnum" it sorta' missed the mark, thanks to the ammo company's (Remington). You had a choice of a 210 gr. SWC @ 1K FPS+- that leaded like a bitch, or a 210 gr. JSP that was an over penetrating monster (for LE work) and recoil that few could master.

I have a few m58's.
    My favorite is a pawn shop find; roached out, bent ejector rod, excessive barrel/cylinder gap/endshake and rust pitted- I picked it up 15 years ago reasonable.
    I reolaced ejector rod, shimmed cylinder yoke, removed serrations from trigger, did a double action "trigger job" and sent out for bead blast and Melonite finish.
    I found an old set of Sambar Stag grips (OK, stocks) and fit them to the frame.
    A favored load is; a 250 gr. gas checked/cast/WFN (Wide Flat Nose) with a moderate load of AA#9- to 1100 FPS is reasonably controllable, a penetration monster (I'm unconcerned with "over" penetration at the ranch) and shoots 1.5" @ 25 yds. (A 210 gr. XTP at 1150 FPS shoots well too.)
    The 250 gr. WFNGC does a fine job on hogs and shoots close enough to the sights for anything except Bullseye competition.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Freaking fantastic
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was fortunate to inherit my Dad's SW 57. I have found the 41 magnum more than adequate for my needs. I really enjoy the clean looking lines of that m58 that you have shared with us.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Neat find, and good work on the cleanup. I love the stocks.

I bet it would be a lot of fun to take that thing deer hunting.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Thank you gents.
    And yes, it goes deer hunting with me- easily carried and the Melonite finish stands up to rough use well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just curious what primers you use with your handloads. I see various recipes with large pistol and others with magnum primers using h110 and 210gr bullets.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Love my M58. I also love what you did with yours.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    H110/Win 296 do need a magnum primer.
    I prefer Federal or CCI as they’ve been most accurate for me.
    The m58 load, using AA9 does not require a magnum primer- per AA load manual, but I use Federal magnum primers as I get much smaller ES with them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for your advice on the primers. It is timely as I have 200 pieces of brass to process and reload this month.

Feedback Score
    superb
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast