Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass bushings

Feedback Score

Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass bushings

For anybody who is reloading for the 6.5 Creedmoor using hornady brass, what size bushing have you been using in a neck size only die? I've been using the .290 bushing with good, but not great results.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Have you considered the Lee Collet neck die? Bushings were a miserable ass ache for me in 30 cal ammos. Dreaded donut, different neck thickness needing different bushings, neck runout, etc.

Disregard if this is off topic or if you only want bushing info.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass bushings

I believe I am using the 289 but I’ll have to check and make sure.

Do yourself a favor and buy some Lapua brass for that 6.5. All your brass problems go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kenneth; 12-06-17 at 13:08.

Feedback Score
    Thanks gents, I've considered Lapua but it's just so damn expensive. Lee is another option I'll look in to. I just figured with the $300 I have invested in Redding I might as well figure out what I can do with that set up. Do you guys typically go .001 less?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Lapua is expensive but it last almost forever.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm not doing 6.5, but I set up the Lee based on neck tension feel on the press. For .308, I like enough neck tension to where the ammo is sturdy for feeding and handling.

I've not measured, but I bet I'm over .002" by a bit... again... not 6.5 though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Lapua is expensive but it last almost forever.

I've got a bunch of Lapua .308 brass that I got a while ago and never even used it. (Will be selling that as soon as I hit 30 posts I guess) I know it's great brass. I guess now that I think about it, I don't shoot my 6.5 that often anyway, maybe I'll make the investment into some 6.5 brass.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I was using Hornady brass with a .290 bushing in a Redding FL sizing die and getting five-shot groups of about 3/4” no matter what I tried. Switching to Lapua brass (and the nessecary small rifle primers) returned a 10-shot group under one-half inch.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If the 6.5 uses small primers, the Lapua brass will last forever with annealing and proper die set up. Lapua .308 brass (large primer), although noticeably better than other brass accuracy wise, gets loose primer pockets with hot bolt gun loads.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I was using Hornady brass with a .290 bushing in a Redding FL sizing die and getting five-shot groups of about 3/4” no matter what I tried. Switching to Lapua brass (and the nessecary small rifle primers) returned a 10-shot group under one-half inch.
    So the Lapua 6.5 brass uses small rifle primers? What's the reasoning behind that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast