Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ Evo pistol vs SBR (or any pistol vs SBR)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

CZ Evo pistol vs SBR (or any pistol vs SBR)

I was waiting on CZ Custom to get more carbines in but after thinking about it a pistol or SBR makes more sense. There’s lots of YouTube guys with the pistols with various braces and they seem to love them and there are some nice braces out.

Is a good brace like the SB tactical, ergonomically just as good as a stock and properly SBRing it? What do you gain with a stock? Because that seems like the only potential advantage to the SBR route to me. Otherwise, it’s stacked with negatives compared to just running it as a pistol.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

CZ Evo pistol vs SBR (or any pistol vs SBR)

I have a Scorpion SBR with the factory stock and if I could go back I would have put a brace on it.

The absolutely best way to get into a Scorpion is buy the pistol, find a factory stock, and out the tail hook on it from Yeti works.

Basically same as the factory stock but in brace form. It would have saved me $200 and a 12 month wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kenneth; 12-06-17 at 14:13.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    I have a Scorpion SBR with the factory stock and if I could go back I would have put a brace on it.

The absolutely best way to get into a Scorpion is buy the pistol, find a factory stock, and out the tail hook on it from Yeti works.

Basically same as the factory stock but in brace form. It would have saved me $200 and a 12 month wait.

Yea that’s the other one I was thinking of. They seem sweet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    On something like a Scorpion, AK, or really any other "non-modular" gun for lack of a better term, the pistol route makes a ton of sense. I built an AK SBR years before pistol braces became a thing, and just like Kenneth, I wish I would've kept it a pistol. If you decide down the road that it's really not your thing, it's so hard to find a buyer who wants a used NFA gun with someone else's name stamped on the side. Plus, what you save on the stamp pretty much pays for your brace and adapter in most cases, and you don't have to wait.

For an AR on the other hand, the SBR route makes so much more sense. It's worth it because of the ability to swap uppers and other parts so easily. Even though I have an AR pistol and I get the general appeal, I never really understood why the AR pistol thing took off so much more than braces on other pistols. I guess just the popularity of ARs in general, but still. You can sell an upper and change everything else out as your needs and wants evolve over time, and the same can not be said for most other platforms.

Just my $0.02.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    On something like a Scorpion, AK, or really any other "non-modular" gun for lack of a better term, the pistol route makes a ton of sense. I built an AK SBR years before pistol braces became a thing, and just like Kenneth, I wish I would've kept it a pistol. If you decide down the road that it's really not your thing, it's so hard to find a buyer who wants a used NFA gun with someone else's name stamped on the side. Plus, what you save on the stamp pretty much pays for your brace and adapter in most cases, and you don't have to wait.

For an AR on the other hand, the SBR route makes so much more sense. It's worth it because of the ability to swap uppers and other parts so easily. Even though I have an AR pistol and I get the general appeal, I never really understood why the AR pistol thing took off so much more than braces on other pistols. I guess just the popularity of ARs in general, but still. You can sell an upper and change everything else out as your needs and wants evolve over time, and the same can not be said for most other platforms.

Just my $0.02.
    Interesting take on it and that makes really good sense. I guess with the tailhook since the length of pull is the same there’s really no reason to SBR.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    Interesting take on it and that makes really good sense. I guess with the tailhook since the length of pull is the same there’s really no reason to SBR.
    I'm inclined to agree with you even though I have zero experience with the Scorpion in particular. I just know that you're not giving up much over a real stock, and should you lose interest in it, start having problems with it that requires shipping or dropping off somewhere for warranty work, move out of state, or any other number of factors, it not being an SBR will be highly advantageous.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My Scorpion gets well used. I reload cast 147’s and shoot it suppressed all the time.

I don’t regret having it SBR’d at all but the pistol braces just make it easy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the KAK Shockwave Blade brace on my Scorpion pistol. My brother in law has a SBR version with the factory stock. I do think the SBR with the stock is the better gun. However do I think its worth the hassle and cost of the NFA process.... currently no.

With my brace I dont have to deal with all the stupid laws governing SBRs but I lose the fast adjust ability of the factory stock. The SBR has the exact opposite attributes. Overall Im a big fan of the Blade and glad I went that way.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    I just know that you're not giving up much over a real stock, and should you lose interest in it, start having problems with it that requires shipping or dropping off somewhere for warranty work, move out of state, or any other number of factors, it not being an SBR will be highly advantageous.
    If you have an SBR that started as a pistol, and you take the stock off, it's magically a pistol again (in every sense of the word, legally, at the federal level). Not having a tax stamp is not an advantage in your example. When you get it back, put the stock back on, and it's an SBR again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    If you have an SBR that started as a pistol, and you take the stock off, it's magically a pistol again (in every sense of the word, legally, at the federal level). Not having a tax stamp is not an advantage in your example. When you get it back, put the stock back on, and it's an SBR again.
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know that removing the stock, barrel, or whatever made the SBR an SBR in the first place from the registered receiver would actually change the designation in the eyes of the ATF, but it appears that you're correct. So I could remove the stock from my Draco SBR and sell it as a pistol with no legal complications. I always thought the receiver is a registered item and tied to me as an NFA item whether it currently met the definition of an SBR or not because it's on a Form 1 and engraved accordingly. It appears I have been incorrect all this time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast