Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W Revolver Thread

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

S&W Revolver Thread

Looks like the SOG sale is over, so now we have this as a generic S&W revolver thread. Post your pictures, the modifications, your favorite loads etc.

There are going to be some people who see this too late, and kick themselves for not picking up a S&W Model 64 (SS version of the Model 10). The S&W Model 10, and 64 offered here are the heavy barrel 38 +P rated weapons that almost every cop carried back in the 60s, 70s and 80s. While wonder 9s are still wonderful, these did a great job of putting dirtbags into the ground where they belonged. Most of the used Model 64s (and 10s) are prior security or LE, with many of them being imported back into the US from overseas.

The Model 64s are stainless steel, and are a "4” heavy barrel with rubber grips. These are all stainless steel revolvers in very good to excellent condition". They have two models, one which is a double action only (DAO), and one which is your traditional double/ single action. It may be worth noting that the DAO is the same as the DA/SA, with the exception of the hammer which can be swapped out to make it DA/SA again. These are used pistols, but are built for a lifetime of abuse with 38 ammo. These are NOT 357s.

I have no affiliation with SOG (though I wish I did so I would have known this was coming up), and bought one of each model 64. My plans are to see what sort of shape the weapons are in, and then possibly blast the SS to dull it a bit. I am debating going with the grips which are on it, or possibly switching them out to G10 which looks fantastic IMHO. Had I known these were going to be on sale, I would have probably bought 4 instead of 2.

Once the deal on this thread is over, I'm going to switch this thread and change to title to a thread where we just talk about the S&W Model 10 and Model 64s. Any thoughts, comments, or opinions you want to throw out there, feel free to do so now. If you have pictures, stories, or info to add about the 10/64, go ahead and start posting. As soon as mine come in I'll start posting pictures!

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Thanks for the heads up Stick. I was just about to swap out excess .38 ammo as I prefer .357 in my lever gun. I assume these are round butt? I don’t know enough to tell from the pic.

I am leaning towards the VZ 320 in black cherry.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Not much can beat a well broken in, double action trigger of a "K" frame S&W.

I have several old mod. 10's and prefer the 2".
    Also have a couple of mod. 12's- which were the alloy frame mod. 10. One of the 12's I converted to DOA and bobbed the hammer.
    It is a fine carry gun, particularly with winter clothes.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    There is a lot to be said for teaching a "non gun person" how to handle a 4" DAO Model 64.

I have a 2" Model 64, and a 4" Model 64 as well. They make excellent teaching guns.

And I agree with you, Stick - a pair of G10 VZ grips would look great on your new wheelguns.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Awesome. I was just starting to look for a couple of police trade-Ins. If I’m reading the ad correctly I have to wait until Wednesday to get the featured sale price? Right now their website shows $299 for the 64.

Feedback Score
    I transferred one of the DAO models a few weeks ago for a coworker. It definitely a shooter grade revolver. There was no endshake, timing was fine, but it had been carried a lot and it showed. But the DA trigger pull was awesome. At this price I would buy at least two. They will only go up in price.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    I transferred one of the DAO models a few weeks ago for a coworker. It definitely a shooter grade revolver. There was no endshake, timing was fine, but it had been carried a lot and it showed. But the DA trigger pull was awesome. At this price I would buy at least two. They will only go up in price.
    If you mean the Model 64 DAO, that is only a bead blast cabinet away from looking new....
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Stick. I was just about to swap out excess .38 ammo as I prefer .357 in my lever gun. I assume these are round butt? I don’t know enough to tell from the pic.

I am leaning towards the VZ 320 in black cherry.
    I'm not sure if they have a mix of square and round, or if it is only one or the other.

Once I get mine in, and tear them down for a good cleaning, I'll wax the frame under the grips and throw Pachmayr grips on them of round or square flavor. I'm not too picky at this point.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Awesome. I was just starting to look for a couple of police trade-Ins. If I’m reading the ad correctly I have to wait until Wednesday to get the featured sale price? Right now their website shows $299 for the 64.
    "Specials are valid ONLY on the DATE SHOWN."

If you are local to them maybe you could get them to change their rules, but otherwise, I think you are out of luck.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    There is a lot to be said for teaching a "non gun person" how to handle a 4" DAO Model 64.

I have a 2" Model 64, and a 4" Model 64 as well. They make excellent teaching guns.

And I agree with you, Stick - a pair of G10 VZ grips would look great on your new wheelguns.

They would look Paris Hilton hot with VZ grips, but there is something dirty, back alley old school cop about Pachmayr grips. I wonder if I showed up for duty with one how bad I would get in trouble...
    Stick

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast