Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Assassin Review

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

American Assassin Review

Based on the books by Vince Flynn (RIP), a series I read from book one until the authors death. Yes, to use a cliche, the book(s) was better. This movie has all the right ingredients to be a first class thriller that did the book justice, but those ingredients never fully come together to make a great movie. It's not a bad movie, but the casting for the main characters is weak, no character development to speak of, plot holes and or a few too many eye rolling moments for me, and you end up with something on par with the other series based on a popular books, the Bourne series. Not bad movies, just not great movies. Realistic violence that add to a movie is fine, but it seems the new trend is simply gratuitous violence to the point it just detracts from the movie. American Assassin is sort of Bourne meets Wick, and like them, predictable all the way with blood and brain parts, etc too often. If you wanna get your action movie on, American Assassin is fun to watch and visually striking, but you wont be thinking about it the next day. I will say the trailer is great and makes it seem like it will be a far better movie. B-

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I haven't read any of the books but I thought the movie was pretty cool.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I haven't read any of the books but I thought the movie was pretty cool.
    Anything in the B rating area is worth a watch in my view, but I didn't find it a stand out in the genre, and I don't think that would change if I had not read the books. Grabbing the blade of a knife in full swing as his "signature" move, which saves the day while he's getting his ass kicked on the boat, knives that seemed to be in a fight scene then disappear (where at least I didn't see how he'd disarmed them), that they (apparently) got their people ready by training in combat (virtual training scene was lame I thought...), and not a damn bit of spy craft, etc, etc. Chick blowing her own brains out for dramatic effect, that just really had no value to the movie, plot, etc. Seen far worse to be sure, but seen far better I thought.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    DVD from Netflix coming today so I will watch it this weekend.

Interesting thing about the books is that American Assassin, event wise, is the 1st book in the series but was actually written 10th in 2010. Flynn wrote the actual first book in 1999 but he later figured out the series would be better if there was background on how Rapp became an assassin in the first place:
    https://www.goodreads.com/series/40589-mitch-rapp
    Last edited by austinN4; 12-08-17 at 10:59.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    DVD from Netflix coming today so I will watch it this weekend.

Interesting thing about the books is that American Assassin, event wise, is the 1st book in the series but was actually written 10th in 2010. Flynn wrote the actual first book in 1999 but he later figured out the series would be better if there was background on how Rapp became an assassin in the first place:
    https://www.goodreads.com/series/40589-mitch-rapp
    Not an uncommon strategy really. Start with the fun stuff, fill in the details of who the dude is and why later once people give a damn. Sorta doing that with my own fiction series.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    was curious and going to look it up see if it was worth it now I do not have to and will watch it

your reviews are fun touch to the forum thanks !

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    was curious and going to look it up see if it was worth it now I do not have to and will watch it
    your reviews are fun touch to the forum thanks !

Thanx, glad you find them helpful. I find them easy and fun to do. I only post them here and on my FB page.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Thanx, glad you find them helpful. I find them easy and fun to do. I only post them here and on my FB page.
    And I appreciate them as well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just finished watching it and agree with Will's review in post #1. OK, but not great.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    And I appreciate them as well.
    Just finished watching it and agree with Will's review in post #1. OK, but not great.
    Thanx bro!
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast