Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have A Recommendation for a Muzzle Device?

Feedback Score

Anyone Have A Recommendation for a Muzzle Device?

Muzzle brake / flash hider that reduces the sound level?

Seems like all of them add to decibels ... this would be for a carbine length AR

I might be asking for something that doesn't exist
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Muzzle brake / flash hider that reduces the sound level?

Seems like all of them add to decibels ... this would be for a carbine length AR

I might be asking for something that doesn't exist
    AR Technical forum is where you want to search and read up on this.

If a device truly reduces the decibels all around, it would require a $200 tax stamp.

However, a handful of devices do reduced SPL at the shooters ear, either by not being as loud as others or by redirecting sound forward. The AAC Blackout flash hider is one of them (per instrumented testing on vuurwapenblog), as is the "Simple threaded device" ("STD") (http://simplethreadeddevices.com/). The various linear compensators also redirect sound.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    My Silencerco has been extremely effective at mitigating both muzzle rise, as well as flash. It's significantly quieter than any other muzzle device I've ever used.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    AR Technical forum is where you want to search and read up on this.

If a device truly reduces the decibels all around, it would require a $200 tax stamp.

However, a handful of devices do reduced SPL at the shooters ear, either by not being as loud as others or by redirecting sound forward. The AAC Blackout flash hider is one of them (per instrumented testing on vuurwapenblog), as is the "Simple threaded device" ("STD") (http://simplethreadeddevices.com/). The various linear compensators also redirect sound.
    Thanks. His blog is deactivated, but I did find this nicely empirical testing on http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/0...es-sound-test/

Fairly recent, done in 2105. I'll review when I have more time to not work at work

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Thanks. His blog is deactivated, but I did find this nicely empirical testing on http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/0...es-sound-test/

Fairly recent, done in 2105. I'll review when I have more time to not work at work

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction
    This thread will be moved shortly, but meantime, minus the "huh", I have to compliment you on the avatar. Huh likely gives the impression to those that weren't there he was dumb, but you and I know he wasn't.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    This thread will be moved shortly, but meantime, minus the "huh", I have to compliment you on the avatar. Huh likely gives the impression to those that weren't there he was dumb, but you and I know he wasn't.

Ok quick addition for the greater good. Comps are not designed to reduce noise, so there is almost no point in factoring it in.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ...might as well ask for Cold Fusion too

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I hate muzzle breaks.
    They will easily blow your ears out, and it's not like you need one for 5.56/223.
    I just stick with the standard birdcage flashhider, I think anything else for 5.56 is a waste of money unless it significantly reduces muzzle flash.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    I hate muzzle breaks.
    They will easily blow your ears out, and it's not like you need one for 5.56/223.
    I just stick with the standard birdcage flashhider, I think anything else for 5.56 is a waste of money unless it significantly reduces muzzle flash.
    This. Standard A2 flash hider is all I have needed and used. YMMV.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Battlecomp

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast