Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel Shaver shooting vid (NSFW)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Daniel Shaver shooting vid (NSFW)

Considering for example recent Vegas event, etc, you get a call of a man pointing a gun out a window in a hotel, and that's going to a pucker factor 11 call. I watched that vid right at the point of shooting probably 10 times and it's a very tough call to make when you look at the overall picture there. He was told the very possible consequences of reaching behind his back, and made no sense why he did it while crawling.

Now, why not have the guy stay where he is, in the position the LEO instruct (face down, crossed legs, hands forward, etc) and close the distance as one LEO secures him and the other keeps him under observation at all times? What's the SOP for that with that PD? Maybe they wanted to get him away from the door opening to reduce the chances of someone popping out? I'd like to here the LE POV on that.

As ugly as that is to watch, all the factors involved, I can see how it would be viewed as a justified shooting, but from my non professional POV, a very thin line there...the officer was charged and fired, but was found not guilty. What say you?

"Body cam footage has been released showing the fatal police shooting of 26-year-old Daniel Shaver. Police were called to a hotel in Mesa, Arizona, in 2016 after a report of someone pointing a gun out of a window. Shaver, however, was unarmed. The officer, Philip Brailsford, was found not guilty of 2nd degree murder."

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    From what I can see in that video I don’t see a justified shoot there. There is no weapon present and unless they found one I’m not sure what his crime is. Also the officers commands were a little counter intuitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I never like to Monday-morning (or in this case Friday-afternoon) quarterback. That said, maybe second degree murder was overreach. But if I was an attorney, based on that video, I would talk to the family about a civil suit.

I dunno....I don't know all the details, so....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post
    From what I can see in that video I don’t see a justified shoot there. There is no weapon present and unless they found one I’m not sure what his crime is. Also the officers commands were a little counter intuitive.
    Perhaps look into a the case a bit would be my suggestion and or re read my comments. Apparently he'd been waving a gun (which turned out to be an air rifle) out the window of the hotel, which why they were called. Under the influence (he was) and scared chitless, I can see for sure how the LEOs commands may have confused him (hence some of my other comments/Q on SOPs, etc) but why would he reach behind his back? Especially considering what they'd told him prior? We will never know but that LEO was clearly taking no chances to find out.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 12-08-17 at 14:44.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I get the call for the air gun. As for him putting his hands behind he back if he was under the influence who knows most people would because that’s how you end up anyway. But yes I will have to read more about it, either way officer is out of a job and may get beat up on a civil suite.

Feedback Score
    Cowardly murder.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post

FWIW a weapon need not be present necessarily.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    FWIW a weapon need not be present necessarily.

Perception of a weapon is the term that generally gets used.

Haven't watched the video in OP yet, but yeah if a weapon is thought to be there, overt movement...
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That has gotta be the most phucked up example of police work I have ever seen.

Stop playing Simon Sez and cuff the guy. No reasonable person could ever respond to those commands in the time frame the cop wanted them, and lots of folks are not physically fit to do the things requested without losing balance.

I guess if he did not speak English they would have just shot him right off?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Stop playing Simon Sez and cuff the guy. No reasonable person could ever respond to those commands in the time frame the cop wanted them, and lots of folks are not physically fit to do the things requested without losing balance.
    My take. Nearly 4 minutes of obedience games, no point, no benefit.

If the dead guy had reached for his right waistband immediately on the officer's arrival I would see this as more of a justified shoot. But doing it after 4 minutes of stupid commands, no.

Not sure what the right charge was, but I see a criminal homicide of some kind.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast