Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel Shaver shooting vid (NSFW)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    It was a bizarre, macabre game of Simon says, ...
    It actually looks worse, if that could possibly be, with the sound off.

It is -immediately- apparent that he wanted to comply and was basically in no condition to be following those orders under the duress of a death penalty. ... and they had a visual baseline with the girl. She did ok, yet the guy never had his physical wits about him.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    It actually looks worse, if that could possibly be, with the sound off.

It is -immediately- apparent that he wanted to comply and was basically in no condition to be following those orders under the duress of a death penalty. ... and they had a visual baseline with the girl. She did ok, yet the guy never had his physical wits about him.
    He was drunk off his A$$ with a BAC that would knock many out cold. They didn't know that of course, but obviously should have detected something was not right, and used another approach as others outlined, which from comments so far, is the standard way to handle it vs the bizarre thing we all witnessed.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I'm not a cop, so I guess this statement doesn't matter, but I'll add it anyway.
    Don't know how many here tried it, but I did. I tried walking forward on my knees with my arms upward, on a short nap carpet. Wobbly, but doable.
    So, I crossed one ankle over the other. Pretty much a total failure, and, as I started to pitch forward, my arms swung back in an attempt to balance.

So, if I ever get in that position, I'm gonna just stay prone, and hope they don't kill me anyway, for non-compliance.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    I'm not a cop, so I guess this statement doesn't matter, but I'll add it anyway.
    Don't know how many here tried it, but I did. I tried walking forward on my knees with my arms upward, on a short nap carpet. Wobbly, but doable.
    So, I crossed one ankle over the other. Pretty much a total failure, and, as I started to pitch forward, my arms swung back in an attempt to balance.

So, if I ever get in that position, I'm gonna just stay prone, and hope they don't kill me anyway, for non-compliance.

That might not be enough...

Officer charged with shooting autistic man’s unarmed caregiver

"Why'd you shoot me?!"
    "I dunno."
    Last edited by Sry0fcr; 12-12-17 at 13:42.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Speaking of arrest, there was a failed bombing attempt in NYC yesterday, maybe some of you heard of it between the media jabbering about Trump gawking at some beauty pageant contestants years ago. On the arrest, I wonder if the police gave him instructions to reach for the sky, get up on his knees, cross his legs AND crawl toward them. He wasn't shot, so he must have followed their orders to the letter.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Why has no one mentioned that when his hand came back around you could clearly see it was empty BEFORE the first shot went? You could also see that he wasn't even looking at the officers. He was shot in the top of his head.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post

After thinking this over and breaking it down:
    The point of crossing the feet (that I know of) is to immobilize.
    The fact that he was instructed to immobilize himself, then be mobile while immobilized is what clearly shows the instructor had no clue what he was doing.

“The hands up, now crawl” was another.
    I’ve seen quite a few use of force vids. I’ve never seen a suspect told to crawl before. It was just weird.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Why has no one mentioned that when his hand came back around you could clearly see it was empty BEFORE the first shot went? You could also see that he wasn't even looking at the officers. He was shot in the top of his head.
    Mentioned a couple times earlier by one or more people.

But you are all correct. At that point he was little more than a wobbling, slobbering, face planting, drunk on his knees
    Last edited by tb-av; 12-12-17 at 15:36.

Feedback Score
    Gone.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 12-13-17 at 05:55. Reason: Screw it

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    The findings were only in State court. I will not be surprised for even a moment when the Title 18 indictment comes down. I do, however, expect an appeal within the State system to pursue some variation of Negligent Homicide.

He was charged and found not guilty. What do you think they are going to appeal, not letting in the dust cover? I think that is unlikely.

I will be surprised if this does not work its way into academies across the nation.
    Some academies have been training officers using case-based analysis for years. Unfortunately, how many large metropolitan academies have a lawyer on staff who's only job is to teach the law and use of force? Our little state Academy has two, three if you count the AD who teaches liability to our firearms instructors.

We still have trainers nationwide advocating 'ask, tell, make' that, IMO, is some old school stuff that should have gone by the wayside a decade ago.

Preach this from the roofs:

Let's not gloss over another key element within this incident: there was a hallway full of cops, and not a single one said, "this is ****ed. I need to stop this." Nobody recognized that the verbal commands were awful, failing, and were escalating the danger, and if they did recognize that fact, they failed to / refused to speak up. Moral courage is incredibly difficult, especially within the fraternities of The Police. It is, however, the only true currency of Law Enforcement. I would rather ruin my career by speaking up and telling Sargeypoo that he's a fudd about to get someone killed than stand by and watch someone get murdered by my team mates. I know that about myself, and have practical experience of being the dissenting voice on a scene, in an office, etc. This isn't idle ruminating. But, not everyone is so cavalier with their future.

You shouldn't have to be cavalier about your future to do what is right, but......

I once attended a training called 'Under Color of Law' which addressed 1983 actions. The moderator showed a patrol car video of a beat down after a foot pursuit. Officer kicking and beating the what became an unresponsive subject. What was most shocking to me was not the beat down, what shocked me was that no less than four officers stood around and did nothing to stop it. The question I had was would all of the over 1300 sworn officers of that agency react the same way?

We need to change that mentality.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 12-12-17 at 21:40.

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast