Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Glock 19 Light Options with Holster

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Advice on Glock 19 Light Options with Holster

I'd like to put a light on my CC Glock 19, one that is small but provides sufficient light for a SD/HD situation. What have folks found to be the best choice for them, both in terms of the light and of the holster one uses with it. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    My two favorites are the raven concealment systems kydex holsters and Nightingale leather holsters. Some of the Nightingale options can be configured with lights which is pretty cool for a leather holster.

I’ve owned a non light compatible Nightingale Raptor holster which are similar to the Milt Sparks VM2 but tweaked a bit with lower ride height. It was really very comfortable and incredibly well built. I sold it because it was not light compatible. Nightingale is now offering light compatible IWB holsters.

I’ve got a couple that are set up for XC1B’s for my Glock 19 and HK VP9 coming in the next couple of months.

Feedback Score
    I currently use a tlr1 in a raven vanguard3.
    It’s a little large. I can conceal it about 60% of the time.
    The new xc1 and other compact light that just came out (inforce?) look interesting, but haven’t investigated options yet.

If I was starting over, I’d look at the compact options.

Edit post below is the inforce I was trying to think of.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 12-09-17 at 15:42.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The APL-C makes a perfect setup for an EDC G19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'd encourage anyone thinking about putting a light on their firearm to consider the purpose of that firearm. Weapons typically fall into two categories, subdivided by the kind of engagement they are intended for: pro-active, and re-active.

Weapon lights are generally used in a pro-active setting, where you know that the fight is on or that the fight is coming, and you are using a light to get a positive ID on your target before prosecuting that target with lethal fire.

An EDC weapon is, to me at least, defined by it's conceal-ability and carry-ability. The more concealable, the more circumstances that I can carry it in. The more carry-able (light, thin, comfortable), the more circumstances that I am likely to carry it in. If a weapon is too uncomfortable, too bulky, too heavy, etc. this reduces the likelihood of it being on my person, and for a concealed weapon, near 100% up-time is required for it to be available at the (highly unlikely) time of need.

So, what does this mean for weapons and weapon lights?

Larger weapon lights like the TLR-1 and Surefire X300U add considerable bulk and length to a weapon system such as a Glock 19. Overall length from rear sight to muzzle protrusion is a limiting factor for concealed carry in my case, as I carry AIWB, and longer weapons will push down into my (rather thick) thighs and hips when I sit down to drive or eat or whatever it is that I am doing while strapped up. This makes duty-grade lights a no-go on my CCW. For an overt carry on my duty weapon, these size lights are not a problem whatever, and the DG switch for the SF lights make them a go-to.

But what about CCW lights? Enter the APLc. The form factor on it fits the overall length of the Glock 19, as this was a critical design element for the APLc from conception to production. Personally, I like the Inforce APL style of switching for a non-DG switched light. The large paddles being placed outboard of the weapon can easily be activated by my non-shooting thumb in a thumbs-forward grip, which keeps my shooting hand dedicated to just that: shooting. That said, I personally do not carry a weapon light on my CCW for the above mentioned reasons of weight, bulk, overall form factor, etc., as I carry that weapon as a purely reactive, bad-breath distance firearm. Were I to do so, it would be an APLc specifically because it has a minimal impact on the overall footprint of the weapon, and a negligible increase in weight.

As far as holsters go, Safariland makes the best open carry holsters out there. G-Code has a following, too. For CCW, T-Rex Arms makes a light compatible sidecar, Raven Concealment Systems makes light compatible AIWB holsters that are great, and Bladetech has a few options as well. RCW and Bladetech are holsters that I have personal use with, but acquaintances in LE and .mil enjoy the T-Rex arms gear, and also have a lot of good things to say about JM Custom Kydex.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 12-09-17 at 16:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Surefire x300u in a T Rex Arms Raptor. It works very well for me but I'm a pretty slim guy (6 ft 175lbs)

If I had to do it all over again I would probably go with the TLR-1 since it's cheaper, the switch is easier to use, and it's a tiny bit shorter than the x300u. I'm not 100% sure that it's shorter but I think it is.

Shooting at night is hard and I certainly wouldn't want to do it without a light on the gun. That said, a hand held light is a good idea for obvious reasons.

Feedback Score
    fullsizeoutput_c40.jpgfullsizeoutput_c40.jpg

Love this G19 TLR6 Combo, but you have to find a custom holster maker to build one for you.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My G19 is outfitted with a XC1 and I carry it in a Custom Carry Concepts IWB holster. No issues at all with EDC and the light throws off enough light to easily light up a room.

Feedback Score
    I use a surefire X300U-B (with the screw). My holsters of choice are Safariland 7TS. That gives me commonality between 7TS ALS and ALS/SLS higher retention holsters depending on my needs for a given day.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    XC1 or XC1B in either Bravo Concealment or Detroit Holsters gear. Both ship in well under a week as opposed to some makers oppressive months long waits.

You can't tell the difference between carrying with or without the light.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 12-10-17 at 08:56.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast