Thread: Arsenal SSR-85C info

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Arsenal SSR-85C info

My local gun shop has the SSR-85C Bulgarian rifle with plastic furniture and turned down threads on the muzzle. The rifles looks to be in good condition, and there is a factory tag on it, saying it was a "used rifle". The dealer is asking 600 for it. Is this a decent quality rifle for the price?
    Are there any things peculiar to the SSR-85C that I can look for to see if the rifle is good?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This newer batch seems to be good to go. By newer I mean the ones that are made in Bulgaria by ISD and imported by TGI of Knox, TN. As with every gun, check for a canted front sight. Look for deformed rivets or heavy rust on any parts, you can do a field strip and make sure all the parts (bolt, carrier etc) are from the same kit, the last 3 or 4 digits of the serial should be stamped on the "important" parts. Like I said, the newer batch seems much better, I own one which I think is excellent for the price, and it seems to be echoed here and on other sites. $600 is a fair price, several months ago they could be had as low as $530 but AK's across the board have gone up. Good luck, check it over well, if nothing screams at you then buy it, I think you'll be happy.

P.S. Mine had that tag also, general consensus is that they are in fact "new" and not demilled kits, if you look closely it should mention something about being used OR surplus military arms/parts, not necessarily used. My bolt showed signs of a test fire that was all.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One last thing, unless you have stumbled upon something I don't know about, these are NOT Arsenal rifles. Some of the older ones were built on AUSA receivers, still not to be confused with the Arsenal line.

Feedback Score
    It's probably from the Armory. I have the same one that was tack welded until it shot off after 300 rounds. I discovered that the threads were practically smooth and no chance of fitting an after market muzzle device. I had to have it rethreaded. It is a good shooter though and no canted FSB or rusted rivets. They do make them with "Threaded" barrels now for about same price new. Check out Atlantic firearms and I think J&G Sales.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thank you for the info guys. After I looked at it once more, I decided to pass on it, as there was some rust on rear sight, FSB pins, etc...This particular rifle was imported by IGI ? I think they are from TN.