Thread: Shepherd 1-8x24 Rugged optic or 1-6 Phantom Any feedback?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Shepherd 1-8x24 Rugged optic or 1-6 Phantom Any feedback?

I found a post two years ago, but they didn’t make this particular optic back then. Anyone seen or used this scope before?

I read some reviews on their 1-6 scope and the concesus has been their glass is as clear as Razor glass. It’s Japanese glass, but they are starting to manufacture their own glass here in the states. I read this on Guns and Tech website re: ”Salvo Technologies (the parent company) is a producer of optics and optronic components for the defense and aerospace industry. It’s one of the few US optic companies that’s capable of grinding and coating their own lenses.”

They also say the ranging reticle is very accurate within the specified ballistics. Gale McMillan (of McMillan stocks fame) said that it “worked as well as any I have used”.

I’m not really interested in that dual reticle system (FFP and SFP) or the ranging capability, but this is where the new 1-8 R-Mil reticle comes in. It’s not the same ranging reticle, but has some hash marks for hold overs. It’s still busier than I like, but I’m not going to just rule it out immediately.

This may not be the right forum, I know that here we like our “known entities”, and definitely NOT knocking that, I preferred the tried and true as well, but I’m really curious. But new doesn’t mean bad or wrong either. So I thogiht I’d give it a shot.

I’ve observed that when guys who actually own the scope and use it consistently say the glass is outstandin and the build is quality. Also some of the negative comments fall in line with those who do do more repeating of internet lore than actual hands on. (Like some of our EOTech threads)

I’m inclined to go with a Trijicon 1-8 or similar, but I’d like to hear feedback from someone who has had hands on and eyes on.

A link:
    https://rangerproofarms.com/product/...-1-8x24-mod-2/

Link to the mod 1 on Shepherd’s website (Not the best looking website I’ve seen)
    https://shepherdscopes.com/product/rugged-1-8x24-r-mil/

The specs are pretty solid, good eye relief etc. but nothing beats straight from the horses mouth.

Any intel out there?

Thanks
    RTT
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 12-09-17 at 11:34.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams