Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth .22LR Rifle Recommendations?

Feedback Score

Youth .22LR Rifle Recommendations?

My 10 year old son loves his Henry Mini-Bolt single shot .22LR with fiberoptic sights. He's had it for a few years, has learned how to shoot, and now I'm wondering about upgrading. I like the idea of another single shot, but am not opposed at this point to having a magazine. My wife has a lever action Henry with a tubular magazine, but my son prefers his bolt action. He is pretty small for his age, so whatever we get, it really can't be too heavy or big. I just stumbled on the Crickett Precision Rifle from another thread, and it looks intriguing. When we initially looked at the Cricketts, the Henry Mini-Bolt seemed to be higher quality metal and construction. Don't want to downgrade, but I haven't seen the Crickett Precision Rifle in person to handle it. Any suggestions? Open to options, but don't want to spend more than $500 on the setup. Thanks for any suggestions!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Ruger American feels like a lot more gun than a cricket, and with the stock inserts it's one he won't grow out of. If the compact stock insert is short enough for him to shoot it off a bench I don't think there is a better option out there right now.

My kids are running a CZ 452 Scout that I have had longer than the RAR has been out, but will probably each have his own RAR in the next year or two.

Feedback Score
    I would go with a cz scout if you have the budget for it. I dont own one but all of them that i have handled seem to be extremely nice. I got my son a savage rascal when he turned 7 and we liked everything about it BESIDES THE FACT THAT IT WOULD ONLY FIRE ABOUT 75% OF THE TIME. The rest were light strikes. Tried a dozen different types of ammo and no difference. The cost to send it back to savage was about half of what the rifle cost. (They refused to pay shipping) so the rifle still sits in the back of the safe. Maybe one day it will be fixed for my youngest but it was more cost effective to Just buy a new rifle for my older son and cut out loss. To bad the rifle was perfect for a first gun but only if it works. Lots of good fail to fire drills though. He knows very well how to make safe and clear his gun and reload now.
    Last edited by jt91123; 12-23-17 at 23:04.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My son hunts with a Cricket and has never had an issue with it. Accurate and shoots anything put in it. Preferred hunting round is CCI 40 grain subsonic hollow points - it is very accurate and knocks squirrels dead every time.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jt91123 View Post
    I would go with a cz scout if you have the budget for it. I dont own one but all of them that i have handled seem to be extremely nice. I got my son a savage rascal when he turned 7 and we liked everything about it BESIDES THE FACT THAT IT WOULD ONLY FIRE ABOUT 75% OF THE TIME. The rest were light strikes. Tried a dozen different types of ammo and no difference. The cost to send it back to savage was about half of what the rifle cost. (They refused to pay shipping) so the rifle still sits in the back of the safe. Maybe one day it will be fixed for my youngest but it was more cost effective to Just buy a new rifle for my older son and cut out loss. To bad the rifle was perfect for a first gun but only if it works. Lots of good fail to fire drills though. He knows very well how to make safe and clear his gun and reload now.
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums.../550087?page=2

Some tips that might help.

The CZ kid models are slick.

That seems like a lot of $$$ assuming it uses a Cricket action and the bull barrel and other add ons seem to negate the need for light weight.

M&P 15 22 is a blast and doesn't weigh much if he won't do mag dumps.
    Last edited by JasonB1; 12-30-17 at 19:58.

Feedback Score

Youth .22LR Rifle Recommendations?

I have a couple of rifles that my daughter enjoys: Sig Sauer 522 SWAT and a Ruger 10/22 with a Kidd Trigger. The Kidd trigger would push the envelope for cost, though.

Edit: Sorry you’re looking for a Bolt action.

Savage FV-SR. It’s great at 50 yards with Eley Club. Never tried groups at 100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by CDR_Glock; 12-29-17 at 15:14.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ruger is also coming out with a new chassis 22 bolt action similar to their RPR with a msrp of $529 so street price likely lower. Looks like it takes standard 10/22 mags and is different fromm the 22 RAR in that they are using a barrel nut that takes standard AR-15 barrel nut wrench to secure the barrel. So aftermarket barrel swaps should be a lot easier than RAR offerings. https://www.ruger.com/search/new/rifle

Feedback Score
    Yeah, the new Ruger precision rifle in 22LR is an exciting new offering! I wonder if there will be any other new rimfire options announced at Shot Show from Ruger or others? The Ruger precision has a lot of things going for it- bolt action, trigger should be nice, and the 10/22 mags are a big plus. What really is good is the adjustable stock, though I think it only collapses to 12" for a minimum length of pull. My boy is small right now, so another option we are considering is a 10/22 with an Axiom R/F stock. It's LOP goes to 9.75" or so. He and I have looked at so many different options that now he is overwhelmed and can bounce from saying, "wow- that wooden stock looks great!" on an old-school hunting rifle, to "wow- that stock is cool!!!" when looking at a zombie green laminate space age shaped custom modded 10/22 stock. Christmas has come and gone. Birthday is in May!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I saw (but did not handle) a Cricket Precision and it looks super cool....like an Accuracy International. The barrelappeared quite a bit heavier than a stock Cricket so going on the assumption that (while not "heavy") it will be front heavy.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    spend the $$ on a CZ

better resale value which is easy to recoup

much more accurate

buy once cry once

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast