Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious Delta Point Pro problem

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Serious Delta Point Pro problem

Over the last month or so, I have had three separate DP Pro optics exhibit what I believe is a serious problem that makes them unsuitable for EDC. Two units were mounted on different Q5 pistols, and the third on a G17 MOS. The problem is when turned on, and holstered during matches, the dot turns off and does not awaken when the pistol is presented from the holster. Even after drawing and shaking it, it does not wake up reliably. I am not sure the exact logic of the sleep mode, in terms of whether the dot should sleep when in the holster walking around, but certainly it should awaken when the pistol is drawn. Interestingly, I do not encounter this problem in my practice sessions, but the delay between drawing while practicing is typically a minute or two at most, compared to 20-40 minutes during a match.

As an aside, for some time, I have had battery life issues with the Pro, across the eight units I own, but this issue seems to have been resolved, or at least is much better, using Duracell batteries. Energizer and Sony batteries have provided poor life, measuring in the days or few weeks. While it has not been more than a few months, so far the Duracell batteries seem to be lasting longer.

What is odd is this going to sleep issue has just arisen this fall, and is happening across multiple units. It makes me wonder if the motion sensor has a limited life and is failing across many units manufactured around the same time. While a nuisance gaming, this is obviously a big problem for defensive use, and if my experience is not the exception, people should be warned not to use them on defensive firearms.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Have you contacted the manufacturer yet?
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I returned one unit to them several weeks ago with a detailed description. After the second unitbfailure, I called and left a voice mail, but have yet to receive a response. The third unit failure was observed only at a match today.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Interesting. I've been running one for two years or so. 100% reliable. Let us know what Leupold says.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Over the last month or so, I have had three separate DP Pro optics exhibit what I believe is a serious problem that makes them unsuitable for EDC. Two units were mounted on different Q5 pistols, and the third on a G17 MOS. The problem is when turned on, and holstered during matches, the dot turns off and does not awaken when the pistol is presented from the holster. Even after drawing and shaking it, it does not wake up reliably. I am not sure the exact logic of the sleep mode, in terms of whether the dot should sleep when in the holster walking around, but certainly it should awaken when the pistol is drawn. Interestingly, I do not encounter this problem in my practice sessions, but the delay between drawing while practicing is typically a minute or two at most, compared to 20-40 minutes during a match.

As an aside, for some time, I have had battery life issues with the Pro, across the eight units I own, but this issue seems to have been resolved, or at least is much better, using Duracell batteries. Energizer and Sony batteries have provided poor life, measuring in the days or few weeks. While it has not been more than a few months, so far the Duracell batteries seem to be lasting longer.

What is odd is this going to sleep issue has just arisen this fall, and is happening across multiple units. It makes me wonder if the motion sensor has a limited life and is failing across many units manufactured around the same time. While a nuisance gaming, this is obviously a big problem for defensive use, and if my experience is not the exception, people should be warned not to use them on defensive firearms.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I, for one, am very grateful for this public service announcement. A single unit failure is an anomaly. A second unit; a curious coincidence. A third? Well, that's what I would call a serious issue. Especially when it comes to matters possibly involving life and death.

Thanks @GJM

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHunter View Post
    Interesting. I've been running one for two years or so. 100% reliable. Let us know what Leupold says.
    I typically make it to the range four days a week, and the issue does not show up. As I mentioned, where it does show up is at matches on the weekend, where I turn the unit on, shoot a stage, and then have a 30 minute or so period where I have the pistol in my holster. Are you shooting matches, using it for EDC, or otherwise in the same scenario as I am seeing the problem? If not, as a data point, it would be great if one evening you could simulate my match scenario and see if you have the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I, for one, am very grateful for this public service announcement. A single unit failure is an anomaly. A second unit; a curious coincidence. A third? Well, that's what I would call a serious issue. Especially when it comes to matters possibly involving life and death.

Thanks @GJM
    Exactly why I posted this. One or two instances would be concerning, but three strikes me as a definite trend, especially when each successive Pro I tried, exhibited the exact same issue. I placed a similar thread on PF, and someone reported the exact same problem there.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Let us know what Leupy says.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In a similar vein I have a friend interested in a RMR sight for her new pistol. What are the options for this type of sight? Vortex, Aimpoint, Trijicon?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm using two different trijicon rmr.

Both are LED always on. One is auto adjust and the other is manual adjustable
    about 6 months of use and no issues
    I use the anti flicker sealing plate on both

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I called Leupold again, number 79 in the wait, and left a message. They called back just now, and the CS guy "knew nothing" about this particular problem, and had no suggestion other than to return the units to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast