Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Previously reliable AR suddenly not cycling.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Part of the reason my range spares kit includes a full BCG along with various buffers.

Very easy to rule this out on the spot instead of getting frustrated waiting to go back to the range.

Glad you got your stick back in the fight!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    BCM has sent me a return form so they can replace the BCG, which is good of them. I'd have been happy just sending it in and getting the gas key re-torqued and re-staked.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    BCM has sent me a return form so they can replace the BCG, which is good of them. I'd have been happy just sending it in and getting the gas key re-torqued and re-staked.
    From your description of several thousand rounds on the BCG and apparently several years, I think that is pretty stand up of them.

As you said, I would have expected them to have you send it in.

I have to admit, the several stories like this I've recently read are swaying me to start paying a little more for this kind of 'insurance' from BCM.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The screw possibly sheared and that's why it is moving, or it just wasn't staked right. My bet is on the sheared screw.

Using a Wheeler Fat Wrench on the gas key screws revealed that the front one was in fact loose. So I'm assuming this is the source of the short-stroking.
    The rear screw is properly torqued to at least 50 inch pounds.
    So is this a "send it back to BCM for repairs" thing or a fix it myself thing?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    The screw possibly sheared and that's why it is moving, or it just wasn't staked right. My bet is on the sheared screw.
    I didn't remove the screw completely so I don't know for sure, but-
    again total amateur-hour speculation on my part here- but that does sound possibly more consistent with the sudden, complete loss of function vs a more gradual loss of reliable function that I'd think would accompany the screw loosening over time.

I could have avoided a lot of speculation if I had just paid closer attention to those gas key screws upon my initial examination after Sunday's ill fated range trip, but I wanted to rule out the gas tube as the cause before I started really dicking with the bolt carrier and potentially causing myself more problems.

Feedback Score
    This is a good case study of why it is good not just to have spare bolts, but to have at least one spare carrier, as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah, if I hadn't had an unused carrier kicking around I could still have pirated one from another rifle just for the function test but having a spare will allow me to keep the midlength in a functional state.
    Actually bringing some spare parts *with* me to the range might be a good idea going forward though.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 12-13-17 at 11:26.

Feedback Score

Previously reliable AR suddenly not cycling.

Any blown primers before this event? I once had this problem and finally traced it back to hot ammo that blew primers and a primer anvil got stuck in gas key. Never found it until I removed gas key.

Edit. Looks like you solved it....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Upon further inspection, Iraqgunz was indeed right on the money about the screw being sheared.

Feedback Score

Cool

Upon further inspection, Iraqgunz was indeed right on the money about the screw being sheared.
    Hmmm.... Imagine that.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast