Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I use a bipod?

Feedback Score

Should I use a bipod?

I own a LE6920 that I am loading for looking to wring out the most accuracy out of. I currently shoot off bags but would it be more beneficial to use a bi-pod? It just seems the thing bounces around a lot with a bag and I wonder if a bi-pod would eliminate or at least reduce it. TC

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Assuming you are using non-free float forearm, your results will likely be worse with a bipod than sandbags. All but guaranteed you will have a substantially different point of impact when shooting off the bipod with non ff forearm versus offhand, prone, or off sandbags.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    Assuming you are using non-free float forearm, your results will likely be worse with a bipod than sandbags. All but guaranteed you will have a substantially different point of impact when shooting off the bipod with non ff forearm versus offhand, prone, or off sandbags.
    Thanks. Mine is a non-free float barrel.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I do not agree with this. Unless you are exerting a significant amount of sustained downward leverage for some reason, the bipod should greatly improve your results - especially with rapid fire.

But don’t take my word for it. Get a bipod and see for yourself. They are good to have around anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bipod won't help much in the way of the rifle bouncing in recoil any more than a sandbag. The way you use either will make the difference. Get down as low to the ground as possible, with couple of bags or bipod, and your cheek firmly on the stock, the effect will be similar, except with bipod you'll be adding some weight to the front and that changes the recoil and bounce dynamic a bit.
    Last edited by Duffy; 12-10-17 at 12:56.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What Duffy said.

I have a FF Carbine rail on my Colt and at times I use a bipod, not really for accuracy but comfort when I am stuck on a bench.

Otherwise I like either a hasty sling or a vfg (but thats more for off-hand)

But if you are trying to eke out more accuracy then prone with a bag is, like Duffy said, as good as youre likely to get aside from one of those Caldwell type deals which, I think is overkill for a carbine

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    I do not agree with this. Unless you are exerting a significant amount of sustained downward leverage for some reason, the bipod should greatly improve your results - especially with rapid fire.

But don’t take my word for it. Get a bipod and see for yourself. They are good to have around anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have owned and used one with the outcomes I stated. I have no doubt a bipod would be steadier than off hand or probably even prone, but seriously doubt it would be more stable than sandbags based on my experience.
    Last edited by JasonB1; 12-10-17 at 13:45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There was a time when the instructors we took courses from prohibited the use of bipod in training, we either used our packs, which was most of the time, or sand bags made for shooting. I don't remember the reason, there seemed to be institutional bias against it which didn't make much sense to me then, and even less so now. If we didn't always have access to bipods, who carries sandbags in their packs with them all the time?

One thing the sandbags and packs are good for is you can get really low on the ground. With the new generation of bipods that are more adjustable, that wasn't always the case with the bipods we had access to back in 2000s, this advantage is no longer exclusive to sandbags and packs.
    Last edited by Duffy; 12-10-17 at 13:57.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    There was a time when the instructors we took courses from prohibited the use of bipod in training, we either used our packs, which was most of the time, or sand bags made for shooting. I don't remember the reason, there seemed to be institutional bias against it which didn't make much sense to me then, and even less so now. If we didn't always have access to bipods, who carries sandbags in their packs with them all the time?

One thing the sandbags and packs are good for is you can get really low on the ground. With the new generation of bipods that are more adjustable, that wasn't always the case with the bipods we had access to back in 2000s, this advantage is no longer exclusive to sandbags and packs.
    I can't think of any bipod that is less portable than a typical sandbag. I also think a bipod would provide a more stable and repeatable(& portable) rest than something totally ad hoc.

I still don't think a bipod attached to a non ff forearm is going to get more mechanical accuracy out of a system than sandbags.
    Last edited by JasonB1; 12-10-17 at 14:28.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trky chsr View Post
    I own a LE6920 that I am loading for looking to wring out the most accuracy out of. I currently shoot off bags but would it be more beneficial to use a bi-pod? It just seems the thing bounces around a lot with a bag and I wonder if a bi-pod would eliminate or at least reduce it. TC
    Can you be more descriptive of the "bags" you are using? A simple tube (or multiples stacked) filled with sand wouldn't be nearly as stable as a cheap bipod. A Protektor Model Standard Front Bag or Caldwell Deadshot Bag would give closer to the same stability.

Do you load the bag in the same way a bipod is loaded?
    Last edited by grizzman; 12-10-17 at 14:46.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast