View Poll Results: Do you think the forward assist is useless and should be removed?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remove it, it is unecessary. I have military/law enforcement experience.

17 18.28%
  • Remove it, it is unecessary. I do not have military/law enforcement experience.

10 10.75%
  • Keep it, it is necessary. I have military/law enforcement experience.

34 36.56%
  • Keep it, it is necessary. I do not have military/law enforcement experience.

32 34.41%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Removing the Forward Assist?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Don't forget there is a risk to having a FA albeit extremely rare. If that prawl gets jammed in or inadvertently pushed forward while you pull the trigger you just caused a malfunction that will probably take a screw driver and hammer to fix.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 12-13-17 at 12:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The possibility exists. The elimination of the part would remove the possibility its failure, along with the functionality the very part provides. If the AR didn't have a bolt catch, then it couldn't break and cause problems, and we'd be using the AR like the HK roller locked long guns or AKs.

Yes it is rare, I've only seen it happen once and it was induced by the user. Had a customer whose brother held down on the LDFA's plunger while firing a round, and it broke the pawl. At that point it was useless to ask why, but he asked for it to be replaced, and it was under our life time warranty that while not explicitly written, covers abuse and misuse.
    Last edited by Duffy; 12-13-17 at 10:57.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Evidence?

Never heard that one before.

ETA from The Black Rifle

Army first began demanding a "bolt closure device" in the summer of 1963. Both Springfield Armory (the Govt Arsenal) and Colt submitted designs.
    I went looking for it but found a more definitive source that proves me wrong. Army trials vs the M14, they wanted a way to force the bolt closed in adverse conditions. I tend to think it was just a way to give the M14 a point, but the reason they gave was adverse conditions.

The reference I recall is from the late 90's, and matched up with what crusty old NCO's were telling me as well. They advised the FA should be pressed with the thumb at most, definitely not whacked with the heel of the hand. And they cursed the Army for inventing "sports" every time they had to mortar a round out.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The reference I recall is from the late 90's, and matched up with what crusty old NCO's were telling me as well. They advised the FA should be pressed with the thumb at most, definitely not whacked with the heel of the hand. And they cursed the Army for inventing "sports" every time they had to mortar a round out.
    There is a difference between forcing something and assisting something. Just because you have the finesse of a gorilla do not assume everyone is the same.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Don't forget there is a risk to having a FA albeit extremely rare. If that prawl gets jammed in or inadvertently pushed forward while you pull the trigger you just caused a malfunction that will probably take a screw driver and hammer to fix.
    Good point, I actually had the little metal lever (is that the prawl?) break on a FA from LMT once. That was fun pulling apart after my range day ended abruptly.

Not a dig on LMT, just happens to be the only LMT I owned, so I vividly remember it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345