View Poll Results: Do you think the forward assist is useless and should be removed?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remove it, it is unecessary. I have military/law enforcement experience.

17 18.28%
  • Remove it, it is unecessary. I do not have military/law enforcement experience.

10 10.75%
  • Keep it, it is necessary. I have military/law enforcement experience.

34 36.56%
  • Keep it, it is necessary. I do not have military/law enforcement experience.

32 34.41%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Removing the Forward Assist?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Using the forward assist in the military offered me a few opportunities for an epic mortar session. SPORTS is evil, forward assist not so much.

EDIT - I did not say forward assists are bad, the way we were trained to use them was incorrect or incomplete. I might build on a slickside upper, but would not remove (or not install) a forward assist on a normal upper.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-11-17 at 18:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I voted to keep it. Military/LE experience is moot. Considering what can happen if you squeeze the trigger on a live round with the carrier out of battery, it never hurts to rap on the FA a couple times.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Software issue, not a hardware issue.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score

Forward Assist Delete

Is there a cover made to put over the FA port?? I'm putting together an upper and don't want the FA as part of it. My other uppers are slick sided, but this one has the port.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Using the forward assist in the military offered me a few opportunities for an epic mortar session. SPORTS is evil, forward assist not so much.

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    I’m somewhere in this area. My professional experience says it isn’t needed, and using it can make things worse. I used to seek out uppers without it, but future builds will have one that simply goes unused, for the purpose of commonality with work guns.

I don’t press check or use SPORTS.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Press checks? It's necessary so you can run your AR like a 1911?

It has very little use as intended and causes more problems than it fixes with the reasons invented for it's use.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboybart View Post
    Is there a cover made to put over the FA port?? I'm putting together an upper and don't want the FA as part of it. My other uppers are slick sided, but this one has the port.

Many years ago I built a 9mm upper using a standard receiver. I cut down the fwd assist button. Epoxied itin place and drilled a gas vent hole in it. Works well and looks rather normal.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FA's application may be different in the military than in civilian (including LE) use. I've heard argument for and against the FA from both camps, the only conclusion I could draw which still applies today in my estimate, and I saw the same conclusion in 2012 when we weighed the cost vs. benefit of the LDFA (LDFA cost significantly more than a no name FA with unknown country of origin), was that while some users have used it and found it useful, others haven't and couldn't care less for it, this is invariably the split we see.

Another conclusion is we don't get into debates for the FA, it's difficult to impossible to change someone's mind about it so we don't try. That we talk about it sometimes on forums is only because we want to disseminate and share information so folks could at least take our experience under advisement.

That it can cause problems from misuse is true of any tool mankind has made. For those that don't need or use it, it's a solution in search of a problem, a phrase we hear often enough from folks for whom the solution wasn't intended. To an able bodied person, a wheelchair is a solution in search of a problem.

We're obviously for the FA, we've been making the LDFA since 2015. It's done very well for a product I thought would totally go unnoticed and be a slow seller.
    Last edited by Duffy; 12-11-17 at 10:36.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    People are complaining about the forward assist being useless. I disagree.

Who is complaining? The people who have never been in a stack? The people who have never had to press check a weapon silently? The people who still think it is there to cram malfunctions and turn them into jams?

I don't care what anyone is doing if they aren't on my squad, family, or one of my friends. Those people however, have a need to be squared away, and they have the right to hold me to the same expectations.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast