Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Brownell's really sell me a legit Milspec/OEM Colt part?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)

Did Brownell's really sell me a legit Milspec/OEM Colt part?

I needed a bolt carrier so I bought a "Colt" carrier from Brownells (PN 160-000-371WB. To date, I've used dozens of Colt BCG's either harvested from factory guns/uppers or from scottyryan. This one looks different to me.

Note that:
    - Park finish is darker and rougher than 2 relatively new carriers (both sub 250 rounds of use) that I know for certain are factory Colt
    - No "C" stamping on the left side as I've seen on every Colt carrier I have.

I realize we're getting into minutiae here, but I like to be sure I'm getting what I paid for and not getting the old bait and switch of either a non-Colt or a pseudo-Colt Expanse type product or anything other than what I would be pulling out of a factory M4 or 6920. I'm wondering what the consensus is of this being a Colt part

I will also note that earlier this year, I purchased a Colt upper and noted some of the work on it was a little sloppier than what I'm used to seeing. From one pic I still have of the upper, you can see the overspray from the top rail "T" markings.

Feedback Score
    I recently purchased a 6920 Trooper. Carrier is not marked with a C. Bolt is marked MPC, and has a white dot on it also. Not sure if that answers your question, but it sounds similar to yours.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not all Colt bcgs will have the C stamped on them now. This, from what I have gathered, has been communicated by Colt directly. My last factory Colt upper did not have a C on the carrier. There are quite a few reports about carriers lacking the C. You bought it from Brownells, it’s legit. If you don’t think so, then just return it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldn't sweat it however when Colt quit selling replacement parts and handed most of that task off to Brownells and Midway USA, you will always see wordage such as "factory original", "oem", etc. But you saw that before too. I've purchased "Colt" 1911 parts from both in the past and felt they were the real deal and actually had that confirmed by a former mid-high level former Colt employee. Just keep in mind that many parts are actually manufactured to Colt specs by authorized vendors. And I believe it's accepted as a Colt norm that they aren't consistent w/ stampings, markings, and such.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Funny. I bought a new complete Colt SOCOM upper that just arrived yesterday that I shot this afternoon. Like yours, the bolt carrier was not marked with the “C” nor was the FSB “F” marked. I have 5 other Colts and they all have the “C” marked carrier. I know this upper is 100% legit based on where I purchased it from so it’s not a big deal to me but it is not typical based on the past. BTW, I mic’d the FSB and it is indeed flattop compatible. Just no F mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Colt’s fit and finish department only works Friday afternoons.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Colt’s fit and finish department only works Friday afternoons.
    lol that made my night

Feedback Score
    Yeah, Colt quality is not very consistent in my opinion. As was already mentioned, there are colt bolt carriers without the "C."

I absolutely trust Brownells for selling real Colt parts when they say they are Colt. It's possible they made a mistake, but it is unlikely.

Compare the gas key screws and staking. They should all look the same.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Unlike many other retailers, I trust Brownell's to not try to pull a fast one.

They will take back anything you are displeased with. Although they are often bit pricier, they stand by their sales.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Colt isn’t what it once was.......there are better options.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast