Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LPK choices?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

LPK choices?

I am in the middle of a pistol/sbr build on an Aero FDE gen 2 lower and realize that most of you guys are going to say to use Colt LPKs or KAC or whatever but since I'm going to be using an ambi safety as well as a different trigger and mag release, is there any reason to go with the more expensive LPK from Colt or is Aero, PSA, Anderson etc just fine? What are the more "technical" advantages of the Colt, KAC, BCM, DD, LMT etc LPK's as opposed to the Aero or even just something like joeboboutfitters.com or righttobear.com cobbled together LPK's? Is there really any noticeable difference especially in what will be an 11.5" "hard use" pistol/sbr in 5.56?
    Any opinions are appreciated but the ones of you on here with the technical knowledge of endurance, heat stress capabilities etc are who I am aiming for.

Regards,
    Darrin

Feedback Score
    Lower end kits usually have MIM parts and a higher chance of out of spec parts. They also may not use the correct materials for the parts. Red Barn Armory offers a la cart and you can order just the parts needed. I ordered a Sons of Liberty Gun Works Blaster guts kits w/o trigger and grip and it was high quality. If you are worried absout things like heat stress etc I would buy from a company you trust with high quality control. The cheaper kits are cheap for a reason- inferior parts or they have shitt QC and you have a higher chance of getting something that will give you issues

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    If it's for range use it doesn't really matter. If you are going to depend on it for your life I would recommend BCM, LMT, or Colt LPKs. If you are going to mix and match with aftermarket ambi safeties and you only need a few parts; specialized armament allows you to buy Colt parts individually.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    "Is there really any noticeable difference especially in what will be an 11.5" "hard use" pistol/sbr in 5.56?"

I think this is all the more reason you shouldn't cheap out on it. My experience with Sionics is limited to just one rifle, so it's not much, but it has been trouble free so far.

They are not expensive, and offer different kits with and without things like trigger, ambi safety etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlraymond30 View Post
    I am in the middle of a pistol/sbr build on an Aero FDE gen 2 lower and realize that most of you guys are going to say to use Colt LPKs or KAC or whatever but since I'm going to be using an ambi safety as well as a different trigger and mag release, is there any reason to go with the more expensive LPK from Colt or is Aero, PSA, Anderson etc just fine? What are the more "technical" advantages of the Colt, KAC, BCM, DD, LMT etc LPK's as opposed to the Aero or even just something like joeboboutfitters.com or righttobear.com cobbled together LPK's? Is there really any noticeable difference especially in what will be an 11.5" "hard use" pistol/sbr in 5.56?
    Any opinions are appreciated but the ones of you on here with the technical knowledge of endurance, heat stress capabilities etc are who I am aiming for.

Regards,
    Darrin
    KNS Precision turned lower pins and detents:

https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/prod...wer-parts-kit/

ERGO spring kit:

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/ERG.../ergo-4612.htm

(I just ordered 3 of the spring kits for my parts chest, I already have several of the KNS pin sets)

From what you posted the only thing you might be missing is the bolt catch lever and maybe an end plate. You would have hammer and trigger spring extra plus trigger and hammer pins, depending on what FCG you buy.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 12-11-17 at 15:01.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    IMHO - Aero, PSA, or Anderson work just fine. You might have a chance of a out of spec part, but that chance exists even with the more expensive kit. If I recall correctly there are only 2 (or maybe 3) large LPK manufacturers in U.S. and 1 in Canada.
    There is another one in Turkey (lower quality metal and parts). I also heard people saying some cheaper LPKs are coming from Taiwan.

Just make sure you get one made in the U.S. and you'll be fine.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thank you everyone. I am going to take your collective advice and get the parts I need from quality mfg...

-Darrin

Feedback Score
    I personally prefer Spikes LPK's because the roll pins are "in the white" and just seem to go in very smoothly.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Stay away from PSA LPK's! I helped a friend assemble 3 lowers &
    used 3 PSA LPK's & all had issues. Detent pins are black & wouldn't let the takedown pins move. Had to pound on them. One set had an oversized safety selector ��*♂️. Had to rob a CMMG lpk & the LGS for replacement parts. You get what you pay for.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like Sionics LPKs.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast