Thread: Threaded bolt catch pin?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Threaded bolt catch pin?

Hey guys I'm asking on the tech forum about this because I'm trying to find the better option for the 4-40 set screw for my new gen 2 aero lower for the take down detent. I believe it also had threaded bolt catch pin so where would I get that particular threaded pin? The one for the bolt catch had a long "shaft" and small threaded end. My main question though is which 4-40 set screw would you guys recommend and what specs make it better than the cheaper $.20ers you can get off of eBay and the like?
    Also, what dimension? 4-40x1/8? Aero didn't specify (or I had too many blonde moments and glossed over that particular detail).

Any info and especially links would be greatly appreciated. Especially examples of ones you guys have used.

Regards,
    Darrin

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd guess your best bet would be to contact Aero. I'd be concerned over having a solid pin in the bolt catch area... as opposed to the roll pin which would be less prone to breakage. But that's another topic I suppose.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I would prefer a roll pin, but I’ve never had one of the screw in retaining “pins” shear
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you mean like this:

It is 6-32. https://aeroprecisionusa.com/threaded-roll-pin.html

As for the set screw, Home Depot or any hardware store worth it's name. For example:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bo...-203577374-_-N

Description: Made of stainless steel for use in machinery, automotive, and position able components. Socket drive prevents slippage when installing. Stainless steel offers excellent corrosion protection.

Although for the application and the stresses, pretty much any old 4-40 set screw would work.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    isnt that set screw a little too long for the takedown detent?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dlraymond30 View Post
    isnt that set screw a little too long for the takedown detent?
    That would depend on the length of your spring....