Hey guys, I am a noob when it comes to night vision devices.

If I get a monocular helmet mounted night vision device, and set it up to look through it with my left eye; would I be able to use my right eye to look through a variable power scope simultaneously? I feel like this would be ideal for how the majority of my rifles are setup, but I don't know if this is even possible. I have pretty much abandoned red dot sights do to an astigmatism I have, shooting during the day time with red dots is fine, but at night the dot turns into a giant starbust. So I am hoping in my search for a good night vision device, that I am not limited to only using a red dot. I am also not trying to spend 10k.
Are monocular nvd's inferior to binocular nvd's, and will I be forced to use red dot sights with night vision settings?

I've tried searching about this, but haven't had much luck.

In advance I want to say that I appreciate any information you guys are willing to share, I understand this topic has probably been discussed numerous times in the past, but my google searches keep bringing me to really old threads that do not answer my questions.