Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GD and the dark side of us all.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

GD and the dark side of us all.

I know I am going to regret this. But it has been on my mind a lot lately as I have been more active again on the site. But General Discussion really does seem to bring out the worst in us. And I include myself in that statement.

I can't think of a single person on this board that I wouldn't shoot with all day then buy a beer and swap stories of our glory days with. But here in GD we often devolve into a bunch of squabbling children. One guy is a Theocratic tyrant and another is just a damn liberal. Of course none of this is true. But we say it about each other none the less.

And after seeing the thread about Chuck the other day I went and reread his thread about how we should treat each other.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...4C-Style-Guide

And the hard sad truth is that he would be ashamed of pretty much all of us. And frankly I put the fault on one person and one person only. MYSELF. Because at the end of the day the only person I have any control over is me. And if I can't be civil with a group of overall like minded patriots and upstanding men, then how the hell can I expect anyone to be civil with me?

We owe each other better. We deserve better. This page is comprised of damn good men (and a few good women as well). We run the gambit of political, religious, social and, economic groups. From Moderate Middle class Atheists like myself to extremely wealthy, to preachers, and everything else you can imagine. We all deserve respect. And we should all give that same respect we expect to receive.

Do I really expect this post to change anything? No, probably not. I am an overweight middle aged guy from Indiana. I am not a moderator, I am not a current or ex Tier 1 operator, or a mod, or anything else important, and my opinion doesn't mean squat. But for my part I hope things do change around here. I hope we can remember than we are on the same side here. We are worried about keeping our gun rights and having the best tools for the job of protecting ourselves and those we love. In the end the other crap should be secondary and not things that should divide us or divert us from those goals.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The first step is admitting you have a problem.

I've gotten a bit punchy here and there myself but try to to go any worse than "smartass"

We get hung up on stuff and sometimes it boils down to text not conveying emotion.

Everything is High School no matter where you go or what you do. Sometimes ya just gotta say FIDO

Feedback Score
    Civility is a foreign term to people it seems.

I was perusing another forum the other day. It's a forum dedicated to a hobby totally unrelated to firearms or anything peripheral to firearms. I found it interesting that the moderators over there enforced respect between members pretty strictly. I watched more than one member get a warning about their tendency to insult people and with the next objectionable post they were gone. Very refreshing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't catch too much of that GD fightin. I'm not sure whose guts to hate.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I know I am on the conservative side of things. I also know that after being in an all male environment for the most part I can be a bit on the harsh side. I try to think outside of the box, while still trying to keep within the bounds of the Constitution.

If I have offended anyone forgive me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't catch too much of that GD fightin. I'm not sure whose guts to hate.
    You can't pick and choose......that would be bigoted/racist/homophobic/Islamophobic/whatever. It's easier and more fair if you just hate everyone equally!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Before I click the "submit" button on any post, I reflect on what our late Army Chief aka Chuck would think about my comment. This serves me well.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I feel this is appropriate

People think I was on acid but this really was better than SPR. I saw it twice in theatres

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Ok. I take it back. There is one member now who has proven he deserves the ridicule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I feel this is appropriate

People think I was on acid but this really was better than SPR. I saw it twice in theatres
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    George Carlin explains it perfectly.

AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast