I have strongly disagreed with people on this forum, but I'm having a hard time remembering when I took something really personal or "intentionally" made something personal with another member. I'm sure I've done it, but it wasn't important enough that I still remember it.

Also inflection can be difficult on the internet and I've taken things the wrong way more times than I can count and I've had things taken in ways never intended many, many times. The problem is people who are subtle and non committal about insults and derogatory comments, sometimes it's hard to tell. When I do insult somebody or a group I try and be plain as day about it and very obvious.

The other problem is the nature of the internet. It's a lot like youtube comments, most people say what they mean in the most extreme context possible, some even say more than they honestly feel. When it's impersonal, it's easy to do. That's one thing I like about this forum, it's small enough that you get to know everyone a little bit. And then, even if there is somebody you aren't overly fond of, there still is like a sense of decorum for the most part because they are going to be here next week too.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
This is a great post. It can be frustrating when discussions go down hill. I know most of the trash talking that takes place anywhere online wouldn't take place face to face. If it did there would be lots of broken noses, fat lips and black eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or it might be like that group in real life who say the worst shit they can think of about each other but you'd never find people who have each others back more than those guys. Not that I'm advocating that kind of environment, no matter how well I come to know somebody...I always worry about what is going over the line.