Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Here Have Experience With Trauma Induced Schitzophrenia?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Anyone Here Have Experience With Trauma Induced Schitzophrenia?

As some members here privately know I've been in a complicated situation, but they don't know that recently went against me in a whole new way. I am a private person, single dedicated full time father, but others should hear this for their greater good and maybe it helps me to vent in a safe place. For the last year I've thought of reaching out to this group because as the past has shown there are some very smart and insightful men here.

See I'm engaged to a woman 17 years younger than myself who is an ex-Playboy Playmate, and here we are at a recent wedding in South Philly:

IMG_1047.jpg

Look fun? Sound great? Well in many ways it has been to say the least, as she's also a big hearted, super-faithful homebody who only wants to be with me day and night always for the last two years. But guess what fellow gun owners? While she has a heart of gold and means well, she has slowly become mentally ill due to past trauma I am familiar with on a first hand basis because I have known her all her life, and now as a result I know full well she has developed schizophrenia...and I just got out of the county jail as a result.

Why am I sharing this after two years with her? Well long ago I was in a horrible fight with a very large animal in a parking lot while picking up my son from his mother's home in a crap town called Blackwood, NJ. After the incident and in order to protect the greater good I contemplated options, as even after the animal and myself embarrassingly beat the shit out of each other he was clearly bitter that at one point I got the best of him, and he wanted revenge. He threatened to burn my ex's apartment when I left and more. Therefore I was not happy.

A few here remember perhaps, but the bottom line is that I got advice that in the end I believe was immensely helpful and stayed with me to this day. John Wayne 777 was the standout and his words resonate with me forever.

So, may I humbly ask if anyone here has experience with Schizophrenia? You can find me at Schizophrenia.com talking in the family/caregiver section as of late, but most of those well meaning and equally hurting folks don't articulate things the way we often (but not always) do here. I know the odds are against and I may look foolish, but again this is not about me. I am ready to let her go no matter how much she loves me and likewise, but I'm not sure what's right or wrong anymore in that regard and would appreciate any sincere, educated feedback beyond words. As even if I do let her go, I only want the best for her even though she just landed me in the county for three days over nothing.

Just please try to have faith that I haven't lost it, there are smart people here that think like me and it's paid off before. Maybe just one more time...

Edit: I meant to add that all of my firearms and ammunition have been temporarily confiscated as a result, but I have a friend in a high place who is helping make things right.

https://family.schizophrenia.com/t/d...loved-one/4614
    Last edited by Safetyhit; 12-13-17 at 18:23.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am no expert. I am not a doctor, but I have a friend with the condition. I am only reporting my experience with my friend, and I am not saying that all cases are similar.
    He went schizophrenic about 10 years ago. When the effects of his condition first became apparent, words can't really describe how difficult things were. When out in public with him, my friends and I would have to order his food for him in food establishments because he would think that he could speak to waitresses telephatically. The first 1-2 years of it being diagnosed, he was unable to be a part of society. He went through electro shock therapy, and heavy medication. He lost much of his memory due to the ETC ( electro shock therapy ). After much therapy and medication, he was able to be a functioning member of society again. He is currently very successful, and well educated. He continued to work a job, and go to college. However, he still has schizophrenic tendencies, and still thinks he can read peoples minds sometimes. He seems to relapse( go schizo ) if he drinks or does drugs. Anyway, it can be dealt with with some individuals to the point they can still have functioning lives, and stable careers. You just always have to remember that they can ''relapse'' into a a dangerous state. My friend has done violent things to others a few times over the past 10 years do to his mental conditions, however for the most part he is a functioning member of society.
    The medications he has to take cause him to be lethargic, and make him gain weight.
    The key is to always make sure the schizophrenic person continues to take their medications so that they don't fall back into that dangerous state of mind, and from my experience having a friend with the condition, it is basically a sure thing that if they stop taking their medications they will become '' dangerous ''.

Regardless of this latter. I have to say, if you are with someone who causes a bad relationship ( verbal fights, maybe worse ) it is probably best to part ways. I've been there. No intimate relationship is worth potentially losing your rights, or just having bad fights in general. I am currently going through a break up because of how much we fight, and even though we love each other dearly, we know it is for the best.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    5.56 I very much appreciate the input and can surely relate. This has been pretty humbling but in the long run it will have to be chalked up as a learning experience and life will go on.

Meantime this says it all..."words can't really describe how difficult things were". I can certainly empathize and it's just a bad thing. Will keep your words in mind and appreciate you taking the time.

MM again, spot on. It's so difficult to find any level of understanding and I often wish she was just an average girl, but I try to put things into context so others can understand that in the end it's about the person you care about no matter who they are. And as the old saying goes, nothing comes for free.

How is he doing now if I may ask? Or perhaps there is no longer any contact?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I dunno if this will help and might seem kind of silly but, keep a journal.

I got a pretty good concussion, like my third and had zero short term memory for a while (not the same I know), but I would write in it each day and look back the next day and it was almost like reading someone else's words.

But it helped me be me.

Best of luck to you. It is very brave being open about such a topic.
    That's a very good suggestion and my regards to you for having the clarity to do so. Unfortunately she did keep a journal herself, but reading through it, as I did from time to time, only clarified how she is slowly slipping away. I feel like a failure for not being able to do more, but as I learned in that forum in the end they have to own up and be receptive to their condition, otherwise things will continue to escalate.

I think my biggest hurt is having know her mother since I was 5 years old and she very much approved of us together, but when it came time to face reality I was the bad guy making both of them face something they simple will not accept as reality. I know I can move on, but I will always worry about her and know she is trapped inside her own private hell likely forever.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One thing I like to remind myself at times, is that if life didn't have low points, the high points wouldn't feel so high.

Don't know if this is relatable to you at all... but I figure I'll throw this out there..
    I know sometimes tough times can make me want to hit the bottle, but alcohol is a depressant and will make you only feel worse up to 3-7 days after the booze leaves your system( I was told this by a doctor, it has something to do with endorphins and seratonin ).
    If you have friends or family you can spend some time with, reach out, and spend some time with them. See if you have an old friend you can hang out with, it really helps.

Keep faith, and stay strong. Things will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    I feel like a failure for not being able to do more.
    Don't. It's not your fault in any way.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    Don't know if this is relatable to you at all... but I figure I'll throw this out there..
    I know sometimes tough times can make me want to hit the bottle.
    Yes it sure does. I'm only human and guess in the end I'm not that strong. But I do have support from friends and family, it's just that they will never understand until they've been there. God forbid.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I know I can move on, but I will always worry about her and know she is trapped inside her own private hell likely forever.
    I think you know what needs to be done. As unfortunate as that may be.

My Mother had Alzheimer's and the first thing the doctor told my brother and me was that we would not be able to care for her. It would take professionals. She was right. We tried and that was quite an ordeal.

I had a friend that some of the best doctors in the country described as the worst TBI they had ever seen. That situation was beyond bizarre.

I once new a business owner that had a wife who became problematic over time and I can't recall what her issue was but that ended in divorce.

I've got a couple other situations but the point is, the typical person can't deal with mental illness especially if that illness is adversarial.

I don't know what could have happened that you landed in jail for "three days over nothing" but that is a sure sign you have lost control. You have either lost control of yourself, your relationship, or both. I don't mean that to sound harsh. I simply hope you realize that the bad things have already started to happen and have gotten the best of you. Your seeking answers at the other forum might become a long term devotion as happens with many people for a variety of reasons. People exposed to certain things tend to pick up that torch. But that's a long long term learning experience and -maybe- will offer you some ability to help someone. That someone may even be your long term piece of mind.

Right now though. You should have the immediate goal of protecting yourself and your assets. You need to get it through your head that it's wrong right now and basically seek cover. Being in jail 3 days because someone else has a mental disease is not a rational life. I believe the forum analogy might be 'get off the X'

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but the typical individual can't beat crazy and even the best of professionals have a difficult time in many cases.

I understand that the heart wants what the heart wants but it's like a friend once told me..... I was having some relationship problems and he said you know it's kinda like a horse.... I said, I know, I know, I just need to get back on the horse.... he said... No, you need to find yourself a new horse.

It's the same old story. Some things are best placed in the hands of professionals. If you are sleeping in the jailhouse, that time has come.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    I think you know what needs to be done. As unfortunate as that may be.

My Mother had Alzheimer's and the first thing the doctor told my brother and me was that we would not be able to care for her. It would take professionals. She was right. We tried and that was quite an ordeal.

I had a friend that some of the best doctors in the country described as the worst TBI they had ever seen. That situation was beyond bizarre.

I once new a business owner that had a wife who became problematic over time and I can't recall what her issue was but that ended in divorce.

I've got a couple other situations but the point is, the typical person can't deal with mental illness especially if that illness is adversarial.

I don't know what could have happened that you landed in jail for "three days over nothing" but that is a sure sign you have lost control. You have either lost control of yourself, your relationship, or both. I don't mean that to sound harsh. I simply hope you realize that the bad things have already started to happen and have gotten the best of you. Your seeking answers at the other forum might become a long term devotion as happens with many people for a variety of reasons. People exposed to certain things tend to pick up that torch. But that's a long long term learning experience and -maybe- will offer you some ability to help someone. That someone may even be your long term piece of mind.

Right now though. You should have the immediate goal of protecting yourself and your assets. You need to get it through your head that it's wrong right now and basically seek cover. Being in jail 3 days because someone else has a mental disease is not a rational life. I believe the forum analogy might be 'get off the X'

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but the typical individual can't beat crazy and even the best of professionals have a difficult time in many cases.

I understand that the heart wants what the heart wants but it's like a friend once told me..... I was having some relationship problems and he said you know it's kinda like a horse.... I said, I know, I know, I just need to get back on the horse.... he said... No, you need to find yourself a new horse.

It's the same old story. Some things are best placed in the hands of professionals. If you are sleeping in the jailhouse, that time has come.
    This is a brilliant post and is both appreciated and noted.

As far as how she got me arrested, here in New Jersey the laws have recently changed to a no bail system for many charges, and I was in fact released with no bail after I went in front of a judge on Monday. Because the arrest took place on a Saturday I was forced by the new law to be held until I had my initial hearing. It's just how it works now but it's certainly not always right or fair by any means.

Her illness gradually caused her to see me as the enemy and she convinced herself that I was always up to no good, which deep inside I know she knows I was not in any way. This is a typical scenario with people with schizophrenia, they tend to turn on their loved ones who would do the most for them. Most importantly however is that when we did start our relationship I knew she was troubled and I knew why (sever trauma can induce or amplify the symptoms), but she did not display nearly the level of paranoia that developed gradually or I would not have taken her in.

I know no one has a magic wand to help me or more importantly her. But I also know that if the person can be made to acknowledge their schizophrenia then they can control the symptoms and for some there are "successful" outcomes. I tried so very hard to get her to stop and think about what she was doing or saying toward the end, but eventually logic and reason simply failed, hence my feelings of failure.

But like you say, this is out of my league now and while she is already displaying signs of regret I know that if I take her back it will continue until she is seeing a therapist that does more than prescribe her medications and collect their pay. Someone has to do what I was not able to do, which is get her to take the first step and acknowledge that she has developed schizophrenia, and therefore be more aware of her increasingly unhealthy behavior. Until then, which may be never I know, nothing will change.

I guess my hope is that someone, somewhere can help me find a way to do that.

Feedback Score
    I feel for ya as it must just flat out suck

but if she has parents around still I would say let them deal with it and make sure you keep her away from you and your kids as it sounds like they are not hers by blood?

not being harsh just reality of life as a parent of two children is where I am coming from and if your kids are under 18 ? which it sounds like they are? keepe them away the fear of her maybe doing something (not knowing/control) to your children or you one day leaving your child with out you or you without child ! nothing is worth that IMHO at least

do it for your kids %100 cut the cord use that strength as a dad !

I am sure your X (childs mother) would not like her child to be around someone like that it very well could end up with you loosing access to your own child if anything ever happens or comes up ?

again sorry to hear and feel for ya !
    Last edited by Honu; 12-14-17 at 05:35.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    This is a brilliant post and is both appreciated and noted.

As far as how she got me arrested, here in New Jersey the laws have recently changed to a no bail system for many charges, and I was in fact released with no bail after I went in front of a judge on Monday. Because the arrest took place on a Saturday I was forced by the new law to be held until I had my initial hearing. It's just how it works now but it's certainly not always right or fair by any means.

Her illness gradually caused her to see me as the enemy and she convinced herself that I was always up to no good, which deep inside I know she knows I was not in any way. This is a typical scenario with people with schizophrenia, they tend to turn on their loved ones who would do the most for them. Most importantly however is that when we did start our relationship I knew she was troubled and I knew why (sever trauma can induce or amplify the symptoms), but she did not display nearly the level of paranoia that developed gradually or I would not have taken her in.

I know no one has a magic wand to help me or more importantly her. But I also know that if the person can be made to acknowledge their schizophrenia then they can control the symptoms and for some there are "successful" outcomes. I tried so very hard to get her to stop and think about what she was doing or saying toward the end, but eventually logic and reason simply failed, hence my feelings of failure.

But like you say, this is out of my league now and while she is already displaying signs of regret I know that if I take her back it will continue until she is seeing a therapist that does more than prescribe her medications and collect their pay. Someone has to do what I was not able to do, which is get her to take the first step and acknowledge that she has developed schizophrenia, and therefore be more aware of her increasingly unhealthy behavior. Until then, which may be never I know, nothing will change.

I guess my hope is that someone, somewhere can help me find a way to do that.
    Wow, where do I start? I grew up around an uncle who is schizophrenic. I spent a lot of time at my grandparent's home, where he lived when he wasn't in the state mental hospital (we still had such a thing back in the 70's). He was fully diagnosed, legally adjudicated and frequently institutionalized against his will. He was and is to this day one of the kindest, gentlest, funniest people I know... when he's on his meds. When he's not, he's dangerous and spooky as hell. I swear you can almost physically feel the menace flowing out of him. Fortunately as he's aged, his episodes have continually gotten farther and farther apart. He just doesn't stop taking his meds anymore. Which is not easy, because he's explained it to me himself. The meds dull every sensation in life. There are no highs or lows, just monotone. That's why going off the meds is so attractive. If they think they've gotten better because they haven't had an episode for quite a while, the only way to test that theory (and feel the highs of life again), is to stop taking them. He just knows through long term experience that he hasn't gotten better, never will and the meds are the only way to have any semblance of a normal life.

On the crazy female front, yep. I've got that experience too. My wife is diagnosed bipolar/ADHD. We made a decision about her condition over 15 years ago, that we wouldn't survive as a couple without her acceptance and gaining control over it. The manic highs and lows were too close together to have any sort of stability. It was like flipping a light switch. So she, then we went to therapy and an MD for the Rx's. I can't tell you how many drugs we tried, but it took over 2 years to get the right combination. We'll have been together 22 years next April, so it can and does work in that specific area and with those specific conditions. Oh, and we never had kids because she didn't want to pass on her mental genes (her mother had it too until she passed), and I didn't want to pass on the bad ticker genes on both sides of my family tree. I know I don't always display a lot of patience and tolerance on here, which might be a safety valve because I've had to learn and develop the patience of Job in my personal life.

I still count myself lucky, because a really good friend of mine was three kids in when they finally diagnosed his wife with real deal multiple personality disorder. She was heavily abused from the start. To put it into perspective just how abused, one of her uncles was best friend and running buddy to Gene Leroy Hart. If you aren't familiar with that name, Google it. On second thought, just go here: http://www.girlscoutmurders.com/index.php

I spent a lot of time around him and his wife when he was going through this (they're long divorced now). We spent many a late night discussing her condition and what brought it on. He wouldn't allow his girls anywhere near her family and went so far as to tell all the male members that he would kill them on sight if he ever caught them alone with any of his kids. He and his brothers were all fairly wild and he had what you would call "a particular set of skills", so I never doubted he'd do exactly what he said. I guess her family believed him too, because they left his kids alone and they grew up well adjusted. Not to mention quite prepared to defend themselves too.

I also had a female subordinate for a couple of years that had MPD. She was undiagnosed, but I knew the signs quite well from all the time I spent around my friend and his wife. You could see her coming and tell by her walk when she was in another one of her "selves". She ultimately couldn't keep her job because she refused treatment and her multiple personalities couldn't maintain control of her emotions or even perform all the required job functions.

I know the DSM-5 now calls MPD "Dissociative Identity Disorder", but I did all my research under the DSM-III and DSM-IV. I say all this because MPD/DID are sometimes confused with schizophrenia, but they're quite different. People with full blown MPD are extremely rare (everything is a range or spectrum now). The fact that I've actually known and spent significant amounts of time around not one but two people with it is extraordinary. Most people in the psychiatric field may never experience anyone with it.

I guess what I'm saying with all this is that without a correct diagnosis and acceptance, there is no hope. Even with those things, there would still be trials and tribulations for many years to come. I have a LOT of empathy for your situation and you should certainly know you're not alone. I wish you the best of luck and I'm absolutely available via PM if you need to bend an ear.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I see it every day, its nothing halidol and ativan doesn't fix. Whether its administered willingly, or after a 5-man team has entered their cell; thats entirely up to the individual.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast