Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Krink: Bolt over base malf.

Feedback Score

Problems with Krink: Bolt over base malf.

I just installed a new recoil spring in my Bulgarian 5.45mm AKS-74U. I had been having feed issues and tried that as a remedy.

It's firing two rounds, with a bolt over base malfunction on the third. If I fire rapidly, I can sometimes get more shots off between malfunctions, but it always happens, regardless of magazine, ammo type or muzzle device I use.

What other factors am I missing here?

Feedback Score
    Did you check the barrel for a grommet in the gas port? Chances are it's a chopped down Bulgarian but some came in with grommets though usually in the 7.62x39 line. I'd contact Chris at AK-USA to see what he thinks.

http://www.ak-103.com/contact.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    Did you check the barrel for a grommet in the gas port? Chances are it's a chopped down Bulgarian but some came in with grommets though usually in the 7.62x39 line. I'd contact Chris at AK-USA to see what he thinks.

http://www.ak-103.com/contact.html
    No, there's not one installed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    No, there's not one installed.

Try an extra power recoil spring from Wolff. Brownells carries them, if that doesn't work, contact Chris. He's been building and working on AK's longer than anyone else currently still fixing them. Also check the selector stop to make sure it's 74 and not AKM- only because the AKM is slightly thicker and causes the magazine to seat at a slight angle. Easy way to tell is to look at the magazine to see if the back edge is sitting parallel to the bolt carrier rails, if it's ever so slightly off then it might be the wrong selector stop.

Feedback Score
    Can you provide more information about the build? What receiver? From a demilled or virgin kit? What barrel? Do you know who built it?

Feedback Score
    Does your bullet feed guide have two guide cuts like this:

https://www.k-var.com/bullet-guide-f...senal-bulgaria

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Can you provide more information about the build? What receiver? From a demilled or virgin kit? What barrel? Do you know who built it?
    I bought it 12 years ago as a carbine with a pinned stock and fake suppressor. After the SBR papers, I had it restored. It's Bulgarian on an ITM Arms receiver. It was bought on GB, listed as an Ohio Ordnance build, but later when I contacted them about SBR conversion, they claimed never to have built it. I got it at a time when these guns were like hen's teeth, so I didn't have the luxury of buying a factory built rifle.

It was probably built during the AWB, hence the pinned stock. I got it in 2005 after the ban sunset.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    Does your bullet feed guide have two guide cuts like this:

https://www.k-var.com/bullet-guide-f...senal-bulgaria
    Yes, it looks like the same one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    Yes, it looks like the same one.
    Sounds like the receiver is out of spec. Unfortunately that isn't an easy one to address. I spent a fortune on my first Krink, because as you mention- about a decade ago the parts were near non existent. Luckily mine runs very well.

Feedback Score
    I wonder if ITM even made 5.45x39 receivers back then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast