Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SBR for Home Defense- 5.56, 300 BO, or 7.62x39

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

SBR for Home Defense- 5.56, 300 BO, or 7.62x39

There are good options for rifles in all three of these categories. I want to shoot the rifle fairly frequently, and thus, the 300 BO becomes more expensive to shoot. The 7.62X39 is probably as cheap to shoot as the 5.56. What do you think? The debate is raging on in my head. I want to suppress the rifle and have it my primary Home Defense Rifle, however, I want to be able to shoot to about 300 meters which shouldn't be a problem for any of them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For suppressed shooting, when you don't have time for ear protection in a home defense situation, 300 BLK is the answer.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    5.56 is most economical and versatile (ammo option speaking). It really becomes a prioritization... if quiet is most important, the 300 would be it.

Quiet is irrelevant to me... I run an unsuppressed 11.5 in 5.56 for my house gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I imagine a 77 grain OTM in 5.56 would be all that is needed. Any merit to a 7.62x39, or am I just not gaining enough in performance with the additional noise / blast? I intend on suppressing whatever I get.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
    Any merit to a 7.62x39, or am I just not gaining enough in performance with the additional noise / blast?
    I don't know if they make Home D friendly loads in 7.62X39. But I'd be worried about over penetration of the threat and/or the home structure.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks Mark. That is a very legitimate concern.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My #1 concern with a 7.62x39mm AR would be reliability. HD ammo is available but I have not personally owned or used an AR-platform in this caliber that I would trust my life to, whether it's due to the magazines, how they're gassed, general quality of the components made for that chambering, etc.

Second, I'll echo yours and other's thoughts on .300BLK - it is possible to find subs that will reliably expand at HD ranges now and I wouldn't hesitate to use one for defensive purposes, however, like most, I find .300BLK cost-prohibitive to shoot frequently, at least with the current state of ammo prices, especially in the subsonic variety.

My personal choice was an 11.5" BCM for all of the reasons above. I can afford to, and enjoy, shooting it all the time. It's important to have consistency between training and reality in case something goes down so I'm a firm believer that you should primarily train with the pistol you carry and the same could be said for the carbine that you use for defense. I've inadvertently grabbed the back half of a hot can on an 8" SBR for that very reason, just one tiny example of why familiarity with your equipment is essential because good muscle memory on one weapon can work against you on another.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only reason I am thinking about 7.62x39 is the galil ace pistol in that caliber, and the swiss made sig 553R that is coming out. I agree. I would not trust an AR converted to run that caliber.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
    The only reason I am thinking about 7.62x39 is the galil ace pistol in that caliber, and the swiss made sig 553R that is coming out. I agree. I would not trust an AR converted to run that caliber.
    Ah, sorry, I guess I assumed we were talking AR platform across the board. In that case I have no input other than to try and shoot all three before you buy in to a new platform, recognize the deficiencies of each, and stick with whatever you choose and get out and use it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am not married to a particular rifle. If a particular caliber in a particular rifle is what is best that is what I would look at. At this point, it is really which cartridge is best in this scenario.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast