Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SBR for Home Defense- 5.56, 300 BO, or 7.62x39

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Without hesitation, I would choose KAC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't know if they make Home D friendly loads in 7.62X39. But I'd be worried about over penetration of the threat and/or the home structure.

7.62x39 Tula 8M3 Effect Ammo. Better performance than just about anything else for HD and soft targets. Just put a 75 round drum in an AKM and leave it in the closet. Most reliable combo with highest volume fire rate overall.

7n6
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-23-17 at 14:14.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Quiet, reliable and at down the hallway distances I think it fills the bill.
    So a 5.56 suppressed is quiet inside a home?
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by darr3239 View Post
    So a 5.56 suppressed is quiet inside a home?
    Pretty sure that Dave was saying his suppressed 9mm AR is quiet not a 5.56.
    Last edited by Striker6; 12-23-17 at 16:14.
    RLTW
    Danger Close Knows No Atheists.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    At one time I lent towards a number of 5.56 options, a unsuppressed 6933 was my original choice. Until I used it in a darkened shoot house and the reality of the flash and the affect of the deafening blast of a 11.5 barrel both on my situational awareness as well as the unavoidable damage to my children's hearing was really brought home to me. I then moved on to a AAC suppressed HK 416 upper/Colt lower and more recently a Surefire suppressed Swiss Arms 553, neither of which I was totally happy with.

At the urging of a former colleague I started looking at 300 BO options and have just started the class 3 paperwork on a Q Honey Badger. Hopefully in 4-5 months time I will be able to report back my experience with that platform. Honestly, I think I would be happy with the ballistics of a subsonic 300 BO, given that I live in a decently populated area I don't see my legally defensive range to be much beyond 50-100 yards at most.
    “Like a sword, a word can wound or kill, but as long as one does not touch the blade, the sword is no more than a smooth piece of steel. Someone who knows the qualities of a sword does not play with it, and someone who knows the nature of words does not play with them.”-- Miyamoto Misashi

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Sorry. My reading comprehension took a dump. 9mm would be just as Dave said.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would probably go with the 5.56 with a good hollow point or ballistic tip, certainly not green tip!

I have mixed feelings on the approach of using a silencer in the house vs. having good electronic ear muffs with high noise cut out. Ear muffs don't protect your vision.

TED

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmax View Post
    At one time I lent towards a number of 5.56 options, a unsuppressed 6933 was my original choice. Until I used it in a darkened shoot house and the reality of the flash and the affect of the deafening blast of a 11.5 barrel both on my situational awareness as well as the unavoidable damage to my children's hearing was really brought home to me. I then moved on to a AAC suppressed HK 416 upper/Colt lower and more recently a Surefire suppressed Swiss Arms 553, neither of which I was totally happy with.

At the urging of a former colleague I started looking at 300 BO options and have just started the class 3 paperwork on a Q Honey Badger. Hopefully in 4-5 months time I will be able to report back my experience with that platform. Honestly, I think I would be happy with the ballistics of a subsonic 300 BO, given that I live in a decently populated area I don't see my legally defensive range to be much beyond 50-100 yards at most.
    Why weren’t you happy with the suppressed 553? Diopters or rail?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, what didn't you like about the 553 suppressed? When I look at the ballistics, the 300 blackout and 7.62X 39 appear extremely similar. The 300 blackout ammo is, however, much more expensive if you want to shoot on a regular basis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by darr3239 View Post
    Sorry. My reading comprehension took a dump. 9mm would be just as Dave said.
    My 556 SBR is a 12.5 BCM. I fired it out of my garage one time , suppressed no ear pro...My ears were ringing pretty good. So inside I figured subsonic 9mm was the way to go....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast