Thread: Net neutrality

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Not gonna touch outside the US, but most of the US companies own or have interest in cable TV players. ATT, comcast, Time Warner, etc.

The entire industry is merging and the lines between carrier and provider are disappearing.

The old days when MCI or ATT ran the backbone and Prodigy Compuserve, etc connected you to the internet are gone.
    My Several hundred Million $$ budget says otherwise, those companies are getting a lot of that money. The big players provide peering and International connectivity and that is where their money is made.

Your home ISP connection is small potatoes and small bandwidth.

"The Geeks" didn't decide all packets are created equal. "The Geeks" didn't know better at the time of creation and the technology wasn't there to do anything different. When "the geeks" discovered things worked better by differentiation of packets, they developed a new technology to improve things.

You won't win this argument with me, so please, just let it be........

ETA: I was one of the "geeks" involved with the development of Quality Of Service and Traffic shaping for the internet among other things.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 12-15-17 at 10:12.