Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Net neutrality

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Occam's Razor will apply. Since most of the internet backbone is run by cable TV companies, expect your ISP bill to start to look like your cable TV bill. That is the model they use and like.
    Incorrect.

Most of the internet backbone is run by Verizon - SingTel - At&t - Sprint - BT - Level3 - China Unicom - China Telecom - NTT and other large service providers. Cable TV companies are bit players, who play mostly at the edge.

ETA: I left out Deutsche Telecom who is a major regional player in Europe off the above list.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 12-15-17 at 08:58.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I don't know how much of Glenn Beck to believe, but he stated earlier today that Google was pretty much the main force behind net neutrality. That makes me against it right there.
    Pretty much.

If Gulag and Democrats hate it then I like it

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    I know this has been pointed out but I just wanted to make sure. You know the internet existed before 2015 right, and that it worked just fine? I have been paying for internet since the 90s in one form or another(back when you had to actually use a phone line). NN didn't change anything or make anything better for users. The internet will still work now that NN is gone.
    Yes I worked for one of the Internet Pioneers in the early days like in the 70s.

What you are missing, because you have been lied to, is the rules prior to 2015 and after 2015 were the SAME. They only changed YESTERDAY.

For the 87th time, The internet has been working the same since day 1. All that happened in 2015 is the informal rules it was working under became formal rules.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I don't know how much of Glenn Beck to believe, but he stated earlier today that Google was pretty much the main force behind net neutrality. That makes me against it right there.
    And Comcast, one of, if not the, most despised companies on this planet was leading the charge to have NN reversed.

NN was not the government regulating the internet, it was the government telling telecoms they had to leave the internet open and to not regulate it. The misinformation campaign against NN is mind boggling.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Incorrect.

Most of the internet backbone is run by Verizon - SingTel - At&t - Sprint - BT - Level3 - China Unicom - China Telecom - NTT and other large service providers. Cable TV companies are bit players, who play mostly at the edge.
    Not gonna touch outside the US, but most of the US companies own or have interest in cable TV players. ATT, comcast, Time Warner, etc.

The entire industry is merging and the lines between carrier and provider are disappearing.

The old days when MCI or ATT ran the backbone and Prodigy Compuserve, etc connected you to the internet are gone.

Feedback Score

For the 87th time, The internet has been working the same since day 1. All that happened in 2015 is the informal rules it was working under became formal rules.
    Serious question then. Informal rules that became rules and now are not rules 2 years later will turn into something drastically different? I was watching Netflix and downloading crap tons of stuff in 2015, then NN hit and I did the same thing. That is going to change now?
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

American has been mislead into thinking something changed in 2015 when it did not.

The internet as you have known it will now be different and most likely cost more with less choice. just like cable TV since it will now be run by the the sample people.
    I absolutely agree America is being misled into thinking something changed when it did not, both in 2015 and in 2017.

Im bowing out, I am stubborn and the discussion is civil.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-15-17 at 09:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Serious question then. Informal rules that became rules and now are not rules 2 years later will turn into something drastically different? I was watching Netflix and downloading crap tons of stuff in 2015, then NN hit and I did the same thing. That is going to change now?

When Internet was created, the geeks decided all packets are equal, and no packet is more equal. Treat all traffic the same. Kinda like in the interstate highway, first in, first out. No toll roads, no throttling, no HOV lanes. As the internet expanded, folks adopted these rules and we were all happy. Now we move through the 90s, 00s, and into about 2013. At this time some providers decided to setup toll roads and throttling on portions of the internet they administered. in 2015 FCC said no, you must operate like we always have been.

Yesterday that all changed, and FCC said will allow carriers to do what they want with what they administer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    While there is little real competition, there is also little real incentive for the ISP's to go as far as the doomsday possibility. They know if they make any big waves people are watching now.

The internet needs to grow and infrastructure is expensive. Nobody thought most TV and movie rental would end up going through the net. NN allows some creative ways to charge the big users. (And the possibility of screwing the little guy) With NN I think we would have ended up paying more by the amount of data used.

In the end I see both sides but think it's irrelevant. We will end up paying either way. Now people will ask Congress to do NN and that is where it should have happened all along.

Feedback Score
    Streaming content and not paying for a cable subscription has become increasingly popular since 2015 and now most ISP’s have streaming services and cable type packages. Now they could easily throttle your Netflix viewing unless you pay more per month while allowing their streaming services higher speeds to make you want to sign up for their services instead. People have been cutting the cord en masse and it is hurting the telecom companies. Now they have another means of getting you to go back to their cable model or just charging you the same as if you did but you just want to stream your Netflix.

There is no way this is a win for the consumer. You can find examples internationally where those countries do not have NN protections and it is not a good thing.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast