Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Net neutrality

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    This.

The day is rapidly approaching where I go full sneakernet and say, "**** this shit."

I am going to drop a prophecy. If the ISPs start to play **** **** games, geekdom will erect an alternet...

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    1) Because they have not been allowed to till yesterday.

2) Well with no nNN, you just put a whole lot of trust in them.

3) There was nothing to trust with the govt, they just said "treat all packets equal" and do what you want.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There are valid arguments on both sides.

The doomsday sayers here are quite frankly, full of shit drama queens. I for one trust the ISP's more than the Government because they have to answer to paying customers.

This isn't breaking anything and will likely improve service for everyone because the ISP's will be able to treat packets differently. Not all packets need or deserve equal treatment. Some applications are latency sensitive and prioritizing them will improve service. This also allows traffic shaping which will improve the utilization of available bandwidth. Quality of service is a GOOD THING, not a bad thing. Corporate networks have been using Quality of Service since around 2003 or earlier. Government control of technological advancements is stupid.

Anyone saying this is doomsday is ignorant or has an agenda.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 12-15-17 at 08:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    There are valid arguments on both sides.

The doomsday sayers here are quite frankly, full of shit drama queens. I for one trust the ISP's more than the Government because they have to answer to paying customers.

Occam's Razor will apply. Since most of the internet backbone is run by cable TV companies, expect your ISP bill to start to look like your cable TV bill. That is the model they use and like.

Feedback Score
    Just wait for the next mass shooting where the shooter “bought his gun online” or “built his assault rifle through online purchases” as the media will report and there is an outcry for people to limit access to information allowing people to do that. You get some heavy hitters on the left to invest in telecom companies and use their power to get them to block access to that content or throttle it to unusable levels. That could not happen with NN but it absolutely can happen now. Comcast could completely block you from viewing any gun message board or viewing any gun related videos and if you have no other ISP choice or other ISP’s jump on board you are just SOL.

The Republicans leading this charge was not for capitalism, it was crony capitalism pure and simple. The ISP’s don’t want NN gone so they can give the customers better service at a lower price, they want it gone so they have more control/power and can charge you more. The wool Republicans and Ajit Pai pulled over the eyes of so many on the right under the guise of reversing Obama’s evil government regulatory policies is disgusting and pure propaganda. These people were bought and paid for by the telecom companies and there isn’t even any hiding it.

People who keep claiming that the free market will solve these issues don’t understand how free markets work. One of the first things you learn in economics is a requirement for a free market is low barriers to entry. Providing internet service has an extreme barrier to entry as many other posters before me have pointed out.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Think of it this way:

Do you like your internet? Has it been working good all these years?

Well .gov just broke it for you.
    Think of it this way:

Did your internet work in 2015? Does it still work?

Well, the government is going to leave it alone before they break it.

I have not seen such panic since Y2K.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Or.....

Maybe the Internet NFA just got repealed.

M60s aren't cheap but you can buy one. Shutting down content you don't agree with? Somebody could easily put it all up there.

I don't like Nazis, don't care nor qualify for White Nationalism, but there are several non-critical historical films of WWII Germany that are placed in limited state on YouTube. The only way to get around it is to have someone chiding the events of 80 years ago. Like "just showing what some dude shot on camera in '38" and bam. Limited state.

But nothing blatantly Communist nor glorifying the Soviet Union is censored. None.

They shut down stuff that is "too right leaning" or hurts too many feelings. Instead of just making it 18 only, they place it in a phantom zone.

I don't agree with. well, a lot of things about life in general, but everyone should have a say. I dont have to listen nor participate but to govern via denial of service or whatnot is pretty messed up.

Like they could now theoretically make www.Imaracistasshole.net and let people just go buck wild and if people are willing to pay to see, thats their problem.

I think more competition might be good. A main selling point could be "Interwebscast ISP: Come on over and show your ass!"

The more you hide from people the more you can't hide. There are subjects that were EASILY findable on old Yahoo or Excite that you gotta almost know how to find. (Like the armed Black Panther hostage takeover of Cornell's Willard Straight Hall)

Remember GeoCities and Angelfire? People could, if they knew to HTML, make their own personal sites dedicated to their own personal hobbies or ideas.

Facebook and 9/11 and the PATRIOT Act (you ARE a patriot, aren't you?) put us in a bizarre internet dark age.

It was more accessible, but nerfed and made for dumber people.

It was the AWB of the internet. Shop and post kittens all you want but watch what you say about government and mind your wrongthink.

The government is the ultimate self imposed middleman and its easier to get whatever internet in other countries than here. Like Central Europe.

The internet isn't a public utility. These people want money. Not to be watchdogs.
    Honestly I hope this all brings down google, fakebook, and youtube.

I could discern for myself without someone telling me something was "fake news" or "inappropriate"

I hope this bursts a lot of bubbles.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Why can’t congress either pass a law that states you’re a service provider or a content provider, but you can’t be both.
    When Republicans control Congress, nothing gets passed.

When Democrats control Congress, everything you do not want gets passed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Think of it this way:

Did your internet work in 2015? Does it still work?
    For the 87th time, The internet has been working the same since day 1. All that happened in 2015 is the informal rules it was working under became formal rules.

American has been mislead into thinking something changed in 2015 when it did not.

The internet as you have known it will now be different and most likely cost more with less choice. just like cable TV since it will now be run by the the sample people.

Feedback Score
    Occam's Razor will apply. Since most of the internet backbone is run by cable TV companies, expect your ISP bill to start to look like your cable TV bill. That is the model they use and like.
    I know this has been pointed out but I just wanted to make sure. You know the internet existed before 2015 right, and that it worked just fine? I have been paying for internet since the 90s in one form or another(back when you had to actually use a phone line). NN didn't change anything or make anything better for users. The internet will still work now that NN is gone.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    I don't know how much of Glenn Beck to believe, but he stated earlier today that Google was pretty much the main force behind net neutrality. That makes me against it right there.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast