Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: 3 new Nightforce 1-8x announced

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    So range thoughts after about 400 rounds through each, not counting the ammo used to zero. From 3 yds to 300 yds today. Both with 100 yds zeroes.

Nx8: awesome, awesome little optic in a complete package. Everyone's whining about the tight eyebox either doesn't shoot alot or has forgotten just about all scopes before the vortex razor. It's useable all the way to 8x standing unsupported. Zoom ring is smooth and easy to move around. Illumination is perfect even in the gorgeous sunny day I had this morning in jax FL. If you have used a mk6 1-6 before that will give you an idea of your reticle when not illuminated. However, its definitely useable even without illumination. The giant 3 black posts draw your eye directly to your reticle. You can make fine precise hits with the fine reticle at 100 at 1x. Now here's the kicker, the glass is nxs glass. Clear but doesn't pop the colour out. Almost mattes out the vibrant colours I saw today since it was a beautiful sunny day. That is by far the biggest difference between the nx8 and the atacr. Brightness of the sight picture and clarity. Eye box is whatever if you know what you're doing.

Atacr: as I said previously, the best lpvo on the market currently by performance. Amazing colour contrast, clarity, turrets, eye box, eye relief, illumination. It's everything we've all been asking for in one package. If you're a glass snob, a shooter as a vocation, or someone who just wants the best this is it. Everything I said about the nx8 reticle rings true here as well. I took the atacr and the nx8 out to 300 yds today and was hitting my 8in popper. The wind holds were very helpful and well proportioned. The dot in the center of the reticle for both scopes is about 1.5 moa at 100 yds so you understand the scale.

Bottom line. If you don't need the dynamic reticle or the best glass money can buy, get the nx8. If you use guns alot you will appreciate the atacr as the pinnacle of current lpvo tech.

Rifles used in the test were my v7 12.5 LiAl sbr with the nx8 and my mega centurion arms 12.5 sbr with the atacr. Group below is the group I shot while zeroing the atacr. 77 grain imi 10 shot group at 100 shot prone with a magpod.

For those with the kahles. I agree for under 400 there is no need to jump to the nx8. I would say the nx8 is better in everyway than the mk6 1-6 However. I will not be getting rid of my kahles. I prefer the atacr over the kahles even with the decreased fov.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I notice you use 1.93 high mount for both of your scope...do you like it? I’m thinking to buy the NF mount for the NX8 because of its light weight and durability, but I’m open to the idea of using high mount (I don’t use night vision)

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kukworld View Post
    I notice you use 1.93 high mount for both of your scope...do you like it? I’m thinking to buy the NF mount for the NX8 because of its light weight and durability, but I’m open to the idea of using high mount (I don’t use night vision)

Thanks

I much prefer the high mounts. I do most of my shooting upright or kneeling with some prone work. To me it's faster for acquisition in the high mount and more comfortable. I prefer the heads up position.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    1-8x ATACR

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 09-29-18 at 12:29.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    1-8x ATACR

Straight awesome. I have mine in my hodge 12.5in sbr currently. You will love it.

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    1-8x ATACR

ACC?
    Who’s mount is that? Spuhr?

I have an atacr sitting in the safe anxiously awaiting my 14.5 CC upper to be shipped (mentally, this has been a worse wait than any of my title ii stuff....ugh).

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kukworld View Post

Thanks

I wouldn't advise it. I just shot a match a couple of weeks ago with the NF 1.93" Unimount and the NX8. The eye box on that scope is too tight to take advantage of the higher mount/heads up type shooting. There were a few times when transitioning from target to target that I lost the sight picture to shadow. This was due to the NX8 eye box and the higher mount. While a lower 1.5" mount won't fix the eye box/fov issue, it will at least force more consistent cheek placement/eye relief to mitigate it some.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    I wouldn't advise it. I just shot a match a couple of weeks ago with the NF 1.93" Unimount and the NX8. The eye box on that scope is too tight to take advantage of the higher mount/heads up type shooting. There were a few times when transitioning from target to target that I lost the sight picture to shadow. This was due to the NX8 eye box and the higher mount. While a lower 1.5" mount won't fix the eye box/fov issue, it will at least force more consistent cheek placement/eye relief to mitigate it some.
    I agree with this. This is one of the reasons why I sold the nx8 and bought another atacr 1-8. The high mount works great for the atacr though.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bleaman225 View Post
    ACC?
    Who’s mount is that? Spuhr?

I have an atacr sitting in the safe anxiously awaiting my 14.5 CC upper to be shipped (mentally, this has been a worse wait than any of my title ii stuff....ugh).
    Yes and yes.

The ATACR has lived up to my expectations.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    My findings based on comparisons to a Mark 6 it's replacing:

So after running the ATACR and having had the opportunity to compare it to the Mark 6, I definitely feel the ATACR is the overall better optic and superior in several areas. One item to note up front is that the ATACR, like most LPVOs, is not a true 1x, and I did detect some slight magnification at the low end, so essentially it's more or less a 1.1-8x. Whereas the Mark 6 appears to be more of a true 1x in terms of what you're seeing when looking through the glass. Shocking I know. However, I suspect this would not be a deciding factor for most people, and it is easily overlooked when you consider the other areas where the ATACR shines.

At 1x there is virtually no edge distortion in the ATACR, whereas it is noticeably visible on the Mark 6, and this holds true across the power band. I compared each optic at 6x, and the ATACR appeared to have slightly more magnification (read: slightly less FOV), but the optical clarity was superior to the Mark 6. I was able to make out finer details when viewing objects at a distance, and the image appeared brighter and the colors had more pop. At the low end the ATACR clearly had the larger eyebox, which translated into being more forgiving when set at their respective max power settings. Chromatic aberration was more prominent on the ATACR at 8x, but I've yet to come across any top tier optic that doesn't display this to include the likes of S&B, Kahles, etc. Nevertheless, it's not as sensitive to slight head movements as the Mark 6 at max power. Bottom line, the ATACR proved to be the better optic throughout the power range.

The Mark 6 is known for it's nice DLV illumination (but suffers from "flicker" due it being eye-alignment sensitive and not very forgiving as it relates to consistent head positioning), and the reticle illumination on the ATACR at setting 9 was equal to the Mark 6 at its highest setting (7). The FC-DM was "ludicrous daylight visible" when turned up to max power (10), which didn't wash out even against the brightest daytime backdrop. The ATACR also features additional NV reticle brightness settings, giving it even more of an advantage over the Mark 6. I spent Sunday high up in the Rocky Mountains engaging targets at varying ranges (200-500) and had absolutely no problems making consistent hits on steel plates at 500 yards against a wooded backdrop without having to use any illumination at all.

The elevation and windage adjustments are much more refined on the ATACR, crushing the Mark 6 in this area as well. Very positive click adjustments, similar to an S&B in feel, but more refined audibly, and I harbor no doubts that it tracks true (although I did not test tracking). The CMR-W and FC-DM are pretty much equal in capability in my opinion. I really like both, but a slight edge goes to the ATACR for execution considering the thinner mil hashes and a more refined sectioned cross hair, which does a better job of drawing your eye to the center segmented circle. Weighing in at 6 oz. heavier than the Mark 6, the ATACR feels much more robust, yet does not necessarily feel that much heavier than the Mark 6. The weight difference did not affect the balance of the rifle at all. The ATACR gets bonus points for the added PTL and beauty rings if you decide to run it uncapped.

To be perfectly fair, the Mark 6 is still a very capable scope, and the fact that it can still hold it's own against the ATACR is a testament to it's design. However, the ATACR takes it to another level overall, refining the areas where the Mark 6 could use improvement, and I personally feel it's worth the price of admission.

ETA 12 June: Just a real quick update, but earlier today I was messing around with the diopter adjustment and noticed that the slight magnification at 1x went away and it appeared to be a true 1x after all. Weird because I didn't feel the need to mess around with it as the reticle appeared to be in perfect focus. Woo hoo! Charlie Mike!
    Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 06-12-18 at 15:36.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    So range thoughts after about 400 rounds through each, not counting the ammo used to zero. From 3 yds to 300 yds today. Both with 100 yds zeroes.

Nx8: awesome, awesome little optic in a complete package. Everyone's whining about the tight eyebox either doesn't shoot alot or has forgotten just about all scopes before the vortex razor. It's useable all the way to 8x standing unsupported. Zoom ring is smooth and easy to move around. Illumination is perfect even in the gorgeous sunny day I had this morning in jax FL. If you have used a mk6 1-6 before that will give you an idea of your reticle when not illuminated. However, its definitely useable even without illumination. The giant 3 black posts draw your eye directly to your reticle. You can make fine precise hits with the fine reticle at 100 at 1x. Now here's the kicker, the glass is nxs glass. Clear but doesn't pop the colour out. Almost mattes out the vibrant colours I saw today since it was a beautiful sunny day. That is by far the biggest difference between the nx8 and the atacr. Brightness of the sight picture and clarity. Eye box is whatever if you know what you're doing.

Atacr: as I said previously, the best lpvo on the market currently by performance. Amazing colour contrast, clarity, turrets, eye box, eye relief, illumination. It's everything we've all been asking for in one package. If you're a glass snob, a shooter as a vocation, or someone who just wants the best this is it. Everything I said about the nx8 reticle rings true here as well. I took the atacr and the nx8 out to 300 yds today and was hitting my 8in popper. The wind holds were very helpful and well proportioned. The dot in the center of the reticle for both scopes is about 1.5 moa at 100 yds so you understand the scale.

Bottom line. If you don't need the dynamic reticle or the best glass money can buy, get the nx8. If you use guns alot you will appreciate the atacr as the pinnacle of current lpvo tech.

Rifles used in the test were my v7 12.5 LiAl sbr with the nx8 and my mega centurion arms 12.5 sbr with the atacr. Group below is the group I shot while zeroing the atacr. 77 grain imi 10 shot group at 100 shot prone with a magpod.

For those with the kahles. I agree for under 400 there is no need to jump to the nx8. I would say the nx8 is better in everyway than the mk6 1-6 However. I will not be getting rid of my kahles. I prefer the atacr over the kahles even with the decreased fov.

The guns look near identical, minus can and scope, etc. Can you "feel" the ATACR up there after shooting t he NX8, or vis versa, or is it intangible, the weight gain/footprint?

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast