Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 new Nightforce 1-8x announced

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    The NX8 weighs the same as the MK6, and lighter than the VCOG. With the extra magnification and cheaper price it seems to be the way to go.

I hope they make a VCOG with the ACSS reticle though.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    Factor in the weight of a mount for the NX8 though, and the VCOG is not that much heavier.

Still probably prefer the NX8, cause I’m a Nightforce fan boy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slateman View Post
    Don't know who they are? Are they E-3s in 2/7? How about E-4s in the 1st Infantry Division?
    Your opinion is severely outdated and holds no water if you don't even know who those two "household names" in the training community are. There is a reason - many, actually - why fixed power magnified optics have by and large gone the way of the dinosaur, and why red dots and LPVOs have increasingly dominated for the last 5+ years. That's also why companies continue to try to merge red dots and riflescopes together into one optic like the NX8 and ATACR - smaller footprints, lighter weight, brighter illumination, more forgiving eyeboxes, etc - because optics like these are the current state of the art and the best compromise between speed and intermediate range target identification.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    Your opinion is severely outdated and holds no water if you don't even know who those two "household names" in the training community are. There is a reason - many, actually - why fixed power magnified optics have by and large gone the way of the dinosaur, and why red dots and LPVOs have increasingly dominated for the last 5+ years. That's also why companies continue to try to merge red dots and riflescopes together into one optic like the NX8 and ATACR - smaller footprints, lighter weight, brighter illumination, more forgiving eyeboxes, etc - because optics like these are the current state of the art and the best compromise between speed and intermediate range target identification.
    I think the point that Slateman is making is that the Nightforce 1-8x optics are not a good choice for GPF use; this is very different than proclaiming that they are not suitable for use on a 5.56 GP carbine for a dedicated shooter. For GPF use, something dead simple such as the ACOG holds a lot of merit, because there's so much less for your average service member to mess with; remember, there are many service members who have no understanding of how to even zero a rifle, so the adjustability of an LPVO is arguably a detriment, rather than an advantage.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    I think the point that Slateman is making is that the Nightforce 1-8x optics are not a good choice for GPF use; this is very different than proclaiming that they are not suitable for use on a 5.56 GP carbine for a dedicated shooter. For GPF use, something dead simple such as the ACOG holds a lot of merit, because there's so much less for your average service member to mess with; remember, there are many service members who have no understanding of how to even zero a rifle, so the adjustability of an LPVO is arguably a detriment, rather than an advantage.
    1+ to this. These and other LPVO are definitely NOT intended for general issue. Unless there is a paradigm shift in the US military when it comes to weapons training that is. Your average infantryperson does not have the training to employ something like these scopes. Deploying these en masse to everyone will mean many people running into a building on 8x wondering why they can’t see shit and getting shot to hell. Don’t even go to the whole know your holds and mil formulas. A simple RDS or fixed power optic with a BDC is far more useful to the average infantryperson.

Maybe possible for more advanced units Rangers... that sort of unit, but I’d wager even there it would be more of a hinderance than a general benefit.

DMR types will greatly benefit from something like this though. Small light and can be effectively used from CQB to 500+. There is value in that.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    1+ to this. These and other LPVO are definitely NOT intended for general issue. Unless there is a paradigm shift in the US military when it comes to weapons training that is. Your average infantryperson does not have the training to employ something like these scopes. Deploying these en masse to everyone will mean many people running into a building on 8x wondering why they can’t see shit and getting shot to hell. Don’t even go to the whole know your holds and mil formulas. A simple RDS or fixed power optic with a BDC is far more useful to the average infantryperson.

Maybe possible for more advanced units Rangers... that sort of unit, but I’d wager even there it would be more of a hinderance than a general benefit.

DMR types will greatly benefit from something like this though. Small light and can be effectively used from CQB to 500+. There is value in that.
    Actually theres been a push in the military to field a general purpose LPVO under the Squad Common Optic program for a while now. The problem is finding one thats idiot proof enough to issue to Joe.

• The Squad Common Optic should be able to identify and acquire the target at 600m (T). The Squad Common Optic should be able to identify and acquire the target at 900m (O).

• Magnification Range. The Squad Common Optic should have no point of aim shift when adjusting through the entire magnification ranges. Squad Common Optic should have a magnification range of 1X +0.05X to ≥6X magnification range. The diopter should be adjustable from +2 to -2 diopters.
    https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...dc9d1&_cview=1
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 12-18-17 at 13:50.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    We had a dude adjusting his CCO when trying to zero MILES gear, so yeah LPVO would probably be too complicated for the average infantrymen. Not many are even taught how the ACOG reticle works.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Slateman's perspective makes sense if you are looking at these optics from a mass military procurement/training standpoint, but I don't think anyone was specifically advocating for these to be standard issue in the first place. Outside of that very specific frame of reference, statements like "there's no reason for a 1-8x scope" and "the ACOG is fine" are out of touch, especially in conjunction with the "don't know who they are" thing in reference to Proctor and Defoor. The fact is, LPVOs are the way of the foreseeable future and there are countless applications for this type of sighting system on M4s, within and outside of the military.
    Last edited by 0uTkAsT; 12-18-17 at 16:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slateman View Post
    There's no reason for a 1-8x scope on an M4. The ACOG is fine for this. Most service members can't engage an enemy past 300 yards anyway. A 1-8x LPVO would simply be a waste of money.
    In your opinion...

You must know some piss-poor regular ARMY types. Us MARINES have no problem hitting man sized targets out to 5-600 yards and beyond. If fact, we do it on a regular basis. So for us, a 1-8x optic would be great. Especially one this small and light weight.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Do not start any interservice rivalry here. Only warning.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast