Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 new Nightforce 1-8x announced

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Nice, I'll see how they are doing next December then maybe take the plunge. Would be great on my SCAR 17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    No, it's not. An Aimpoint is a 0x optic and has no hold over dot. Except for not having a hold over dot, I'm very satisfied with the Aimpoint for what I use it for. However, it's not the optimal choice for what I want an LPV for.
    The red dot on the NF is the same size as H1

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I really dislike the FFP aspect. Not to beat a dead horse but on an optic that (lets face it) is not a long range precision optic but rather a general purpose/gaming optic (ie picture of gamer on website), FFP is quite a hinderance. At 1x you give up a lot of usability and speed that a 1moa dot w/ larger segmented circle would offer. I'm a huge fan of their optics as my work rifle wears an ATACR, but I'm very apprehensive of the dot's usability at 1x. I need serious brightness with a 2moa dot and I'm really hoping this delivers just that. Not to mention the exit pupil is small...like REALLY small, 7.9mm @ 1x. My current game gun has an accupower 1-4 and I'm perfectly content with its magnification out to 600, but I would always like more. I'm just not sure if the optical quality or speed of the segmented is worth the trade off.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 12-19-17 at 17:54.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    A 7.9mm exit pupil is hardly small. 3mm at 8x is another story

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    An Aimpoint is a 0x optic and has no hold over dot.
    How can you have a 0x optic? That would mean you have infinite reduction in magnification, given typical optics convention (e.g., 0.5x lenses will halve the magnification of the picture), AFAIK. I found your argument about focal points and all that jazz on the S&W forum and THR, but that's basically the only source of information I could find differentiating 0x and 1x in optics, so I'm disinclined to believe that argument.

While I do see some references to 0x in product descriptions elsewhere (e.g., Hirox), they would all fail your particular definition of 0x anyway, while asking a couple of photographer buddies, none of them have heard of 0x being used, either, besides when being misused for 1x.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 12-19-17 at 19:27.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    How can you have a 0x optic? That would mean you have infinite reduction in magnification, given typical optics convention (e.g., 0.5x lenses will halve the magnification of the picture), AFAIK.
    Schrödinger's red dot sight

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    A 7.9mm exit pupil is hardly small. 3mm at 8x is another story
    I’m comparing it to the Accupowers 14mm and 5mm.

Feedback Score
    On the FFP vs SFP I can see the advantage of the FFP in this case due to the 8X top end magnification and small objective lens. In fading light it will be advantageous to turn the scope down to get a brighter image/larger exit pupil. In which case being able to still use hold overs or ranging features will be nice.

What I’m hoping for is that the 1X setting will have heavy enough outside crosshairs that you will not have turn on illumination to make it useable.

That’s one reason I like my 1-4X24 with the FC-3G, the reticle doesn’t need illumination to work.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 12-19-17 at 19:44.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    I’m comparing it to the Accupowers 14mm and 5mm.

Got it

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    I’m not sure NF missed much.

These will be well liked by the DMR types or units with more firearms training/discipline and Id venture many gamers.

Which is the intended role of this scope. Unless your have a precision AR-10 or 5.56 SPR type gun, there are better options than this Nightforce.

The fact of the matter is, nobody uses MIL/MOA ranging as much as some would like people to believe.

What people were expecting was a SFP optic to compete directly with a 1-6 Razor.

I haven't used any type of reticle ranging feature in 7 years in shooting at big game. It has either been with a laser rangefinder or using a ballistic reticle. Ranging via mils is too slow.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast