Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.5 Suppressed SBR buffer system change to A5?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm interested in this as well because I just bought a new 11.5" ELW upper to run with a Sandman-K full-time. I'm starting with a H3 Super 42 just because I want to try that combination out, but I'm always on the lookout for something better. The can is still in jail so time will tell how it runs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I should have also mentioned I used the LMT E-Carriers as well.
    What has your experience tuning with the LMT E-carrier been? I used one with a 10.5" and 11.5" upper, suppressed and unsuppressed. In each case, using them with the SLR gas block, I needed to close the gas block one click more with the E-carrier compared to a standard full auto carrier. The E-carrier needed less gas.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    What has your experience tuning with the LMT E-carrier been? I used one with a 10.5" and 11.5" upper, suppressed and unsuppressed. In each case, using them with the SLR gas block, I needed to close the gas block one click more with the E-carrier compared to a standard full auto carrier. The E-carrier needed less gas.
    I know the question is not directed to me, but thought I would share my results.
    In a few chop down SBR builds I have had some weird experiences with the E carrier. In smaller gas port guns mind you. I would find that in some cases with running certain buffer weights and the e carrier I would short stroke. Putting in the auto carrier the rifle would run. Other rifles with larger more "standard" ports I would see the results you mention above. For this reason, when running smaller ports I tend to not change up much else in the system and use A5H2 and Colt springs with a FA BCG as a baseline.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 12-15-17 at 17:00.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I don't use adjustable gas blocks. My SBR uppers all have LMT E-Carriers, NP3 or standard bolts, and lowers have A5's with Sprinco springs. Gas ports are .076, .076, and .070 and all of them run 100% with quality ammo.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Thanks for all the responses - I agree that the weapon is likely overgassed to a degree, although thankfully with the ACH / Saker-K, I never get any gas to the face with the weapon - something I had come to expect as normal with pretty much every other AR I've ever shot without an adjustable gas block (I have an older 14.5 Noveske Switchblock for reference).

So I went ahead and did the RE / Buffer swap last night, figuring it's easy to swap back.

Shot it today with both the A5H2 and A5H3 w/ Green Rifle SpringCo - ran through some M855, M193, and Wolf to run the full spectrum of ammo - 150 rounds in total with only one user induced error (failure to adequately seat the magazine. First time shooting in gloves in awhile).

Overall the A5H3 felt the best - ejection around 2 o'clock at 5 feet, with some variation for the different ammo - shot mostly rapid drills at 7 yards and from my recollection of it with an H3, it seemed smoother and easier to keep the weapon on target for 2-5 round strings.

I'm gonna keep it as is for awhile and get some more feel for the setup. I might have to build up another SBR lower to be able to do back to back comparisons with out trying to swap REs / Buffer systems at the range.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP, I appreciate you making this thread. I am going to through the same dilemma right now. 11.5 BCM suppressed w/ an RC-2, Colt lower currently running an H3 w/ blue sprinco. I have a new A5 kit that I got a few days ago, and was debating if it would be worth it to do the swap, as my rifle operates the way you explained in your post, to the T, it’s almost funny. I have the A5H2 w/ green spring on my KAC lower w/ an LMT 10.5 upper, but haven’t had a chance to put it through its paces, yet. Nor do I have a suppressor for it, yet. Regardless, if there’s no discernible difference between my setup and the A5, I may just go ahead and do the swap, anyway. Because, one, I already have the necessary equipment. And, two, I just love tinkering with my rifles haha.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    A5H3 and Sprinco will run all day long and 98% sure that an H4 will work as well.
    When employed with an LMT e-carrier, an A5H4 will indeed work 100%...suppressed and unsuppressed.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I found that with this combo under my superb Sionics 11.5" RGP barrel with SiCo SpecWar 556: Tubbs AR10 flat wire 17-7PH spring, Vltor A5H4, LMT e-carrier, and SLR Sentry 7 Ti AGB, I could run a more restrictive gas setting on the AGB with the A5H4 than I could with an -H3, -H2, -H1, or even an A5H0 by a click or two.

So, a synergy is present between those components. See my updated post in the KAC pressure reduction system thread (I necroposted) for my update.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmedic_ View Post
    OP, I appreciate you making this thread. I am going to through the same dilemma right now. 11.5 BCM suppressed w/ an RC-2, Colt lower currently running an H3 w/ blue sprinco. I have a new A5 kit that I got a few days ago, and was debating if it would be worth it to do the swap, as my rifle operates the way you explained in your post, to the T, it’s almost funny. I have the A5H2 w/ green spring on my KAC lower w/ an LMT 10.5 upper, but haven’t had a chance to put it through its paces, yet. Nor do I have a suppressor for it, yet. Regardless, if there’s no discernible difference between my setup and the A5, I may just go ahead and do the swap, anyway. Because, one, I already have the necessary equipment. And, two, I just love tinkering with my rifles haha.
    You may want to explore what I'm doing with my AR10 lower; I'm using the steel-body PWS H3 buffer (which only has two tungsten weights inside to reach the 5.6oz H3 weight). But I'm adding an additional 3rd tungsten weight to bring it to about 6.8oz. It still does not an A5 system make, but it's getting closer. The higher mass body is a decent facsimile for the biasing spring inside the A5 buffer; it increases the mass that the BCG sees while in-battery and it works to stabilize the cyclic rate. My A5-equipped AR15 carbines throw all my brass in a bucket if I stand still (I don't).

So, maybe grab an additional tungsten weight from Geissele or eBay (caveat emptor) and swap it into a PWS H3 carbine buffer? Or buy their nearly $100 "H4" carbine buffer.

For my AR10 I'm stuck because there is no way to employ a buffer longer than the std carbine buffer without going to the AR10 rifle length RE (and the shorter-than-AR15 AR10 rifle buffer).

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Yep, I run that as well. I always err on the side of caution though not knowing what ammo they are using.

Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    When employed with an LMT e-carrier, an A5H4 will indeed work 100%...suppressed and unsuppressed.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast