Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel Manufacturing Process Cost

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    The correct phrase would be- they are having them made for them. My guess is that it is FN.
    Most likely.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LockenLoad View Post
    Ballistic Advantage
    AKA... Aero Precision.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    But don't take my word for it, read what the US Defense testing found for 50 cal & 30 cal machine guns, M-14's, M-16's, and mini-guns:

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA021752
    "Improved grain structure, increased toughness, better corrosion resistance, and finer surface finish result from the process. In general, the geometry and surface finish of the mandrel are reflected precisely in the barrel bore. Bore finishes of 8 micro inch (arithmetric average) or less are possible."

"Bore variation is drastically reduced and straightness increased. Variations of less than .00015 inches are common."

And an update, showing further improved qualities un-reported in the 1975 report.
    http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a136159.pdf

"One should not overlook the benefits of improved fatigue life and/or fracture toughness, which may lead to longer service life, reduced tube weight, and/or increased propelling pressure with all of its consequences."

There is a reason the US military specifies CHF process for it's machine gun barrels, and other militaries specify it for their weapons. Colt chose to stick with button rifling, and you can argue their barrels have not suffered.

My read is that with premium barrels cut rifling still is superior, and some button rifling with lapping can be as well. Especially for stainless.*

But for rack grade, I'll take a properly made CHF any day of the week.
    I don't believe everything the government or any of its agencies says or prints. I wouldn't be surprised if the testing agent was instructed to steer the results toward a contract with somebody's brother in law. If the CHF process improves the wear resistance of a barrel why do they bother with chrome lining? Doesn't the chrome have to wear away before this improved barrel offers any advantage? I thought so. It's kinda hard to believe anything the government says when it is obvious that a lot of what they say isn't true. Do you really believe that every decision made by the government is in the best interest of our guys in harm's way?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Chf is better due to grain structure similar to how forged receivers are better than billet.

Now if that performance difference is ever noticeable to the average user is debatable.. much like the 4140vs4150 debate. It is well established 4150 is better, but is it really noticeable for the average user?
    Most likely not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I don't believe everything the government or any of its agencies says or prints. I wouldn't be surprised if the testing agent was instructed to steer the results toward a contract with somebody's brother in law. If the CHF process improves the wear resistance of a barrel why do they bother with chrome lining? Doesn't the chrome have to wear away before this improved barrel offers any advantage? I thought so. It's kinda hard to believe anything the government says when it is obvious that a lot of what they say isn't true. Do you really believe that every decision made by the government is in the best interest of our guys in harm's way?
    What part of that reports quoted is not true?

Further:

1) Do you even understand what chrome plating does?
    2) Where did he state that the wear resistance/wear life would be substantially increased?

Yeah, I thought so.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    OP,

You are getting wrapped up into the CHF advertising drama.

This is the least of your concerns when selecting a barrel.

Your concerns must be:

1. Correctly sized gas port.
    2. A pinned on gas block
    3. Barrel threading cut with no relief.
    4. 5.56 chamber
    5. Method of barrel making
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    OP,

You are getting wrapped up into the CHF advertising drama.

This is the least of your concerns when selecting a barrel.

Your concerns must be:

1. Correctly sized gas port.
    2. A pinned on gas block
    3. Barrel threading cut with no relief.
    4. 5.56 chamber
    5. Method of barrel making
    Id probably put a properly sized chamber at the top of the list then followed by gas port size.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12