Thread: Help with AR Pistol OAL

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Help with AR Pistol OAL

Trying to build a AR pistol that is CCW legal here in Ohio. After much searching without a lot of info I am assuming that I need to stay 26" or shorter in overall length? I know that possibly Ohio like a few other states may have a different number but I dont believe so from what I have researched.

How does ATF measure a pistols OAL? From end of barrel (I got that part) to the end of the buffer tube on in the case of a brace to the end of the brace? I know with some braces that they can actually hang past the buffer tube a little or even a lot if using something like the SBPDW.

If I decide to add a LAW Folder then I assume seeing it is in-between and necessary for the operation of the weapon that I will also need to factor that in as well?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In your case, it doesn't matter how the BATF measures OAL. It's how Ohio measures OAL. You need to look up the Ohio law.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    In your case, it doesn't matter how the BATF measures OAL. It's how Ohio measures OAL. You need to look up the Ohio law.
    This is so true. An example would be how South Carolina limits the size of your CCW firearm. In SC, there is a 12" limit based off the length between the two farthest points on a firearm.
    Last edited by thehammer69; 12-17-17 at 00:35. Reason: Syntax error

Feedback Score
    Why are you ccw an ar? You can only ccw a gun at a time so that would make a normal pistol a no-go.
    Loaded mags are now OK for transporting firearms, but can’t be in the gun.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Why are you ccw an ar? You can only ccw a gun at a time so that would make a normal pistol a no-go.
    Loaded mags are now OK for transporting firearms, but can’t be in the gun.
    Im not sure you are correct or where you are obtaining your info from? Please tell or show me in the law where it says anything about ONE firearm at a time for ccw. I have yet to see the law written to say ONE or language written that says no person shall be armed with more than one handgun. Anything not restricted or prohibited is by default permissible = Legal. Nothing at all says you cant carry a primary and BUG or handgun on your person and/or in your vehicle as well.

I want the AR pistol for a truck gun that can be legally transported locked and loaded.

Feedback Score
    You may be correct. I could have sworn I read something prohibiting multiple guns years ago and have been going out of my way to only have one at a time...

But I can’t find anything now so it seems you are correct. Thanks, haha.

Feedback Score
    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923 scan down to 2923.11 where it spells out weapons control definitions.

(C) "Handgun" means any of the following:

(1) Any firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand;

(2) Any combination of parts from which a firearm of a type described in division (C)(1) of this section can be assembled.

Overall length of less than 26" seems to apply only to "Sawed-off Firearms" see 2923.11 (F). I see nothing that says you can't be longer than that.

Continue to scan to 2923.12:

(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:

(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(3) A dangerous ordnance.

2923.12 (C)(2) regarding CHL nullifies 2923.12 (A)(2).

There's also a bit at 2923.16 (C)(4) that appears to relate to sawed off shotguns and likely wouldn't apply to AR pistols for several reasons, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

Feedback Score
    Ok I figured it out. I was mixing definitions and laws together. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Crossgun and Mega,

The CCW law in New Mexico only allows one gun.