Thread: Cut Viking Stock?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Cut Viking Stock?

Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 20:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is my $.02 on cutting down stocks: generally I don't like to because the length of the recoil pad decreases leading most shooters to bury the gun deeper into their shoulder and therefore REALLY moving their head to the sights/bead rather than bringing the sights/bead to their eyes.

Most short stocks are seemingly made using the longer stock's mold with a plug put into the mold so you have the same issue with the shorter recoil pad. A noticeable exception to this has always been Choate Stocks, their short stocks keep the recoil pad the same size as their full size stocks.

You should be able to remove the recoil pad from the Viking Stock and see how far the screw bosses extend and determine if you'll have anything to screw into. You will also have to reshape the recoil pad, but that isn't a big deal.

If you find that the stock doesn't allow you to screw the recoil pad on and you still want to shorten that stock you could make a plug for the end of the stock and hold it in place with two Chicago screws.

At 67.00 this is probably more than you want to spend: http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/02-01-30
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 12-16-17 at 15:35.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I agree with 26 with a few exceptions. I would make the plug from a hard wood to fit the interior as close as possible. Bore a 3/4" +/- hole for retaining bolt access. Glue it in with 3M 5200 or equivalent. Fasten with 4 SS wood screws. Grind the pad and call it a day. Buying the stock 26 linked to makes a lot more sense unless you have time to burn and are capable of doing the work.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 20:35.