View Poll Results: What's your preferred zero?

Voters
302. You may not vote on this poll
  • 25/300

23 7.62%
  • 36/300

3 0.99%
  • 50/200

202 66.89%

68 22.52%
  • MPBR

3 0.99%
  • Other

3 0.99%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your preferred zero these days?

Feedback Score

What's your preferred zero these days?

The AR platform has become incredibly popular in recent years. Hunting to home defense, competition to plinking, and beyond. It's truly a do it all platform.

If I had to guess, for general purpose use, I'd say the 50/200 zero is still likely to be the preferred selection. However, with the increased popularity of LPV optics and/or BDC reticles, I'm wondering if there's been an impact on shooters' zeroing preferences.

So, what's everyone running these days?

In an effort to account for the broad range of application with the AR platform, my focus would be on those set up with personal defense as a main priority. General use is fine, but I'm placing a premium on "bump in the night"/WROL/SHTF application.

As a side note, for those who favor MPBR, what do you prefer for the target diameter variable when setting things up?
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If your primary concern is home defense then you need not worry about 200 yards plus. Put an X300 on it and stay at 100. Don't overthink.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My primary setup runs a set of flip-up irons in conjunction with a Trijicon Tri-Power and flip-to side magnifier. Irons are set at 50/200, Tri-Power at 100.

Secondary is fixed FSB with DD A1.5 rear (no RDS), and set at 50/200.

If my bedside wasn't a P220, personally my next choice would be the G19. In my situation, an AR just isn't the best option.
    Last edited by Dionysusigma; 12-16-17 at 22:52.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    33/300

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've always liked a 200 yard zero. I confirm where it hits at all other ranges.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    If your primary concern is home defense then you need not worry about 200 yards plus. Put an X300 on it and stay at 100. Don't overthink.
    I've been using a 50/200 (irons and optics) for years, and have no real concerns. I also share the "don't worry about it" sentiment. Beyond agreeing with you on the topic of zeroing, I take the same position when it comes to defensive ammo discussions.

Many obsess over things like expansion thresholds and MOA accuraccy. While it's fun to analyze such things, they're fairly inconsequential in the real world. Even if running a very short barrel, expansion thresholds are relatively meaningless. Any good defensive round will expand when pressed into civilian SD applications. The same goes for MOA accuracy. Realistic engagements will be up close and personal. Let's just assume inside 25 yards. Even with a 5+ MOA round, we're only talking about an inch or so of deviation.

My apologies for the tangential sidebar there. Suffice it to say, I definitely agree with not overthinking things.

Back to the original topic, the impetus for my thread/poll is twofold...

First, I added a new RDS a while back which has a BDC reticle. In order to properly utilize the reticle's BDC, it's designed to be zeroed at 100 yards. However, I went ahead and used my traditional 50/200. Due to a number of external variables, BDCs will only produce "ballpark" results. So, while I like the feature, I didn't feel it was a necessity to deviate from the more familiar 50/200 zero. Do others take the same approach? Or, do many let the reticle dictate the zero (when applicable)?

Second, I had some free time and randomly chose to read up on MPBR zeroing. Previously, I'd never given it much consideration. After going down the rabbit hole, I find some merit in the approach. I like that it's driven by what the individual shooter deems acceptable in terms of POA/POI deviation. However, in experimenting with some numbers, the benefit of a MPBR zero is generally only realized when you get beyond 200 yards. Or, when one has a very low tolerance for POA/POI deviation.

For example, suppose a shooter requires POI be within a 4" diameter circle of their POA. A 50/200 zero satisfies that condition out to approximately 230 yards. This is nearly identical to what's yielded with an MPBR zero; using the same load and being predicated upon the same 4" POA/POI condition.

Now, if we cut that POI requirement to being within a 2" diameter of POA, there is a more pronounced difference between the two zeros. With a 50/200, the shooter would need to make minor hold adjustments from about 80 to 170 yards. With the MPBR zero, holds wouldn't even come into play until nearly 200 yards. However, these are just calculations on paper. The shooter's aptitude is what determines if any of the math even matters.

Ultimately, like with so many other aspects of shooting, mission drives the gear. For hunters, professional gunfighters and marksman, the MBPR zero could help in extending their reach, speed and efficiency. For civilian self defense, the benefit over a traditional zero is fairly minuscule. If anything, all of the mock calculations I've tried confirm that the 50/200 is an excellent zero choice. Well, that and the poll results
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    I don't overthink it. 50 has always worked for my needs.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    All my non bdc scopes and red dots are zeroed for 100m. I've found I have less than a 3in group deviation out to 300 with the 100m zero while holding center chest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    50/200 works for me
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    I used to run 100 but switched to a 55yd zero after looking at the numbers.

It keeps me within 1.25” out to 200 except for close range, obviously. That’s good enough for anything I’d be trying to kill with my rifle.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast